Tramadol

Does Tramadol increase the appetite?

Shanti's dose got increased and she is not eating like a horse! My little PITA eater is scarfing just about everything right now. Now Nala is not eating. I think she just wants good add ins like Shanti. Too bad she is on a diet. :P

The Girls

Guest HeatherDemps

I don't know if it specifically has this side effect, but I think it can affect dogs differently and have some odd side effects. When my grey was on it, he was restless and was needing to pee just about every hour on the hour. I didn't see any effects on his appetite, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I wonder if the appetite increase is an indication that the increased dose is just controlling pain better? Maybe she was holding back before due to pain? I take tramadol and it doesn't seem to do much to my appetite either way... But then I am not a dog...

I wonder if the appetite increase is an indication that the increased dose is just controlling pain better? Maybe she was holding back before due to pain? I take tramadol and it doesn't seem to do much to my appetite either way... But then I am not a dog...

Good point! That could be why. It is logical. :)

The Girls

Our Simon was on Tramadol (I think as much as 3x a day) for the last year or so of her life, and we never noticed her eating more or gaining weight. It seemed to help her, and we weren't aware of any side-effects, really.

I haven't seen any side effects in Patrick with it.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Neyla is on it 50 mg - 2x/day. I haven't noticed an increase in her appetite. However, I did notice it when I increased her glucosamine/chondroitin, which was accompanied by some stomach upset. I think eating may make her feel better. Maybe the Tramadol is upsetting the tummy a bit? Although I don't think it's known to do that.

Tramadol is actually an opiate. Generally coke users are pretty darn thin, right? Okay, maybe not the best logic. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I have not noticed that with Cody Angelo. I had to take it once and it made me itch like crazy! :blink:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Neyla is on it 50 mg - 2x/day. I haven't noticed an increase in her appetite. However, I did notice it when I increased her glucosamine/chondroitin, which was accompanied by some stomach upset. I think eating may make her feel better. Maybe the Tramadol is upsetting the tummy a bit? Although I don't think it's known to do that.

Tramadol is actually an opiate. Generally coke users are pretty darn thin, right? Okay, maybe not the best logic. :P

I think she is getting skinnier and I have her eating a lot now because...she will! Maybe that is from the Tramadol. It is logical. :P For a while she would not eat. We only have one more day of antibiotics (for now). I know that made her stomach upset, but we were counteracting that.

Oh how I wish they could talk and tell us!!! :lol I would make it so much easier!!!

The Girls

thanks for this thead. great timing, as Loca was put on tramadol and metacam last night.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

thanks for this thead. great timing, as Loca was put on tramadol and metacam last night.

Aw, is she OK?

Tramadol has never seemed to affect Turbo's appetite (though his motto is "you gonna eat that?").

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire