Dental Plus Extractions

Ruby had a dental one week ago. She had two teeth extracted. They told me to definitely moisten her dry food for awhile...which I have been doing. How long should I keep this up? I can see where the one tooth was pulled, and it looks fine. The other tooth was pulled from WAY back in her mouth so it's harder to get a look at that area.

She is all done with her pain pills, and is still on the antibiotic for another week or so....

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

10 days here...when Angel LaceyLaine had massive extractions with a mouth full of sutures...it was 3 weeks. :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I have never done anything but moisten food!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

OK, I am going to continue to put water on her food until all her antibiotics are gone.

I actually think she likes it moistened....maybe I will just continue. She's been finishing every bite, even at breakfast when at least one of them leaves some....

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

We've always moistened Argos's food, but after his extractions (4 back teeth), we withheld crunchy treats for about a week. Other than that, he eats perfectly normally. Takes him longer to get through greenies and bully sticks, but that is the point of giving them to him anyway, right?! Oh, and crumbs sometimes fly out the sides of his hillbilly mouth. But that's just funny.

Hope your girl is feeling better soon.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I would do it until the antibiotics are gone, then try a few harder treats to see how it goes. If she has any trouble or you see any bleeding, back to the vet for a check-up or some more ABs.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hmmm. I always moisten my dog's food, and my vet has never mentioned doing anything different after a dental, although I had a cat who had 16 teeth pulled, and obviously that was an issue!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest team_weasel

We had a foster who had 27, yes 27 teeth removed (it was the worst the vet had ever seen) -- the state of his mouth was atrocious, to say the least. Anyway, what a different dog he was after having those teeth extracted! He actually did perfectly fine eating regular kibble (with water over it to moisten) after a couple weeks. It's amazing how quickly they bounce back.

I'm sure after 10 days or so, Ruby will be able to eat her regular food.

Stella goes for hers next week, on the 29th

We always moisten anyway because otherwise she hoovers it and then gaks it all back on the floor. When we add water we don't have this problem.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.