Mystery Injury

Everything was fine on Sunday when I left to go to church. After church I had to stay for a meeting. When I got home, DH said, "Buddy has what looks like a puncture wound on his butt." Sure enough, he does. No sign of how he did it, or when. DH let them outside when he got home from church, but didn't watch them (grr...) so we don't even know if he did it in the house while we were gone, or outside after DH got home.

Anyway, here is the shot that shows where it is...

buddybutt1.jpg

And here is a close up. So far it looks pretty "clean", nothing oozing out of there. I have been putting EMT gel on it, or antibiotic ointment. He invariably licks it off, and I am threatening him with panties.... :unsure

buddybutt.jpg

Any other suggestions??

It's always something. Thank God it isn't anything worse....

Oh, and please...nobody tell Buddy I have posted pictures of his bottom online!! :lol

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Run water over it for 5 minutes. Does he mind the bath tub?

Yes, he does mind the bath tub. He tolerates a bath, but his tail is tucked up under him the entire time. Such abuse, you know. Should I just put him in there, run warm water over it? :unsure I can use the shower sprayer which is on a hose....He will start to run when he sees me.

hmmm....maybe a spring you do not notice in the cushions of the furniture somewhere?? :unsure We had an old old college couch that we noticed that happened with so we tossed it for a new one.

Looks like it could be sore....be sure to keep a close eye on it.

Everything was fine on Sunday when I left to go to church. After church I had to stay for a meeting. When I got home, DH said, "Buddy has what looks like a puncture wound on his butt." Sure enough, he does. No sign of how he did it, or when. DH let them outside when he got home from church, but didn't watch them (grr...) so we don't even know if he did it in the house while we were gone, or outside after DH got home.

Anyway, here is the shot that shows where it is...

buddybutt1.jpg

And here is a close up. So far it looks pretty "clean", nothing oozing out of there. I have been putting EMT gel on it, or antibiotic ointment. He invariably licks it off, and I am threatening him with panties.... :unsure

buddybutt.jpg

Any other suggestions??

It's always something. Thank God it isn't anything worse....

Oh, and please...nobody tell Buddy I have posted pictures of his bottom online!! :lol

Could it possibly be a rupturing anal gland?

Here's a link to the thread I posted when Gracie's butt ruptured:

embarassing butt pictures of Gracie

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Could it possibly be a rupturing anal gland?

Here's a link to the thread I posted when Gracie's butt ruptured:

embarassing butt pictures of Gracie

Good question! It isn't really next to his anus or anything, though....not that I really know where the anal glands are!

The glands are - of you picture the face of a clock - at 8 & 4 o'clock or 7 & 5 o'clock with the anus in the center like the clock hands rotate.

Boy, I hope someone can find a diagram cuz I don't think I'm explaining it well.

Some folks will comment theat their grey did a lot of butt licking prior to a rupture. That wasn't the case with Gracie, though she would lick occasionally. Nor did she do any butt dragging on the floor.

The vet said it was a good thing it ruptured as that relieved the pressure. Antibiotics fixed it and there was some powder as well. The details will be in that post link.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest goddessgina

Daisey had a mystery injury similar to that last year. It was on her side though. We suspected one of the neighbor kids might have been playing with a b-b gun, but never found out for sure.

If he doesn't like water, could you get a spray saline solution (somethine like contact solution without all the chemicals) or you can buy first aid saline solutions...It does look like it could be a ruptured anal gland, or it could just be one of those mystery wounds our houndies seem to collect! :inlove:dunno

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

The glands are - of you picture the face of a clock - at 8 & 4 o'clock or 7 & 5 o'clock with the anus in the center like the clock hands rotate.

Boy, I hope someone can find a diagram cuz I don't think I'm explaining it well.

Some folks will comment theat their grey did a lot of butt licking prior to a rupture. That wasn't the case with Gracie, though she would lick occasionally. Nor did she do any butt dragging on the floor.

The vet said it was a good thing it ruptured as that relieved the pressure. Antibiotics fixed it and there was some powder as well. The details will be in that post link.

Thanks for the info. Buddy's "hole" is at around 3:30...and it is about an inch and a half away from his *other* hole. Could it be an anal gland??

He has done no licking prior to this, or scooting, or anything.

We did the "water therapy" last night, just put his hind end in the tub. It doesn't look any worse today....it's one of those things where I just can't decide if the vet should look at him or not....I hate to put him through a vet visit if she's just going to say I am doing what I should. But maybe he needs some antibiotics....I just don't know.

Guest charmsmom

I was going to say it looks too far away and too low to be an anal gland. It DOES look like a tooth mark, though. Puncture wounds can be NASTY. You're good to take him and get it looked at.

Edited for grammar... You're and Your...DUH

Edited by charmsmom

Guest greytexplorer

Thanks for the info. Buddy's "hole" is at around 3:30...and it is about an inch and a half away from his *other* hole. Could it be an anal gland??

He has done no licking prior to this, or scooting, or anything.

We did the "water therapy" last night, just put his hind end in the tub. It doesn't look any worse today....it's one of those things where I just can't decide if the vet should look at him or not....I hate to put him through a vet visit if she's just going to say I am doing what I should. But maybe he needs some antibiotics....I just don't know.

Ester had the mystery injury :angry: on Sunday night. No one was home. But she is pretty "tore up" as we like to say down South. :lol

srsly, her front left leg was deeply scraped, and I think that's where most of the blood around the house came from.

She also has a couple of scrapes here and there, quarter sized, on one foot, the inside of a back leg, etc.

I did take her to the vet, thought she might need a stitch on that front leg. Doc said no, since the injury had already closed, and started to heal, she wasn't going to mess with it.

Told me just to keep it clean (wash it every other day) and she gave me Cephalexin 500mg....2 caps twice a day.

So yeah, you're gonna need antibiotics. And especially since the puncture is soooooooo close to where the germs are.

:lol:blink:

If it's a ruptured anal gland, then he'll need antibiotics. The surgeon will also probably suggest surgery to remove the glands. I'd read up about that before following through on that.

If it's not an anal gland, it's certainly in the ball park, so it's worth having it checked and getting some antibiotics anyway, since the wound might be subject to getting icky when he poos.

Good Lucky,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04