Beau In Hospital--update # 80 Beau Home

RobinM

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THey are closing him up now. He will have to stay to administer pain meds and antibiotics through IVs. It was "pretty bad" as per the doctor.

They think he will be able to come home tomorrow. I am afraid to see how bad he is.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest KennelMom

I know this is of little comfort right now, but after a fight a greyhound has a tendency to look *really* *really* bad. Worse than they actually are, in fact. They bruise something awful and swell up. BUT, they DO heal nicely and fairly quickly. When we had the pack fight with Scout, the e-vet (we felt) was almost trying to talk us into letting her go b/c of the expense and "no guarantee." Whatever - we told them to fix our dog! And though when you looked at her those first couple days you'd think she was hit by a mack truck, she pulled through. Their bodies can take a lot and most vets aren't used to seeing a really banged up greyhound....I swear they look 10 times worse than another breed dog in the same condition.

Don't worry about scars or bald spots...none of that matters. The only thing that matters is keeping him comfortable so he can recover. I would also muzzle or crate them when left alone. Definitely no more kongs unsupervised!

Guest greytmonty

I think Kennelmom Heather is right as always! When Monty got bit at the dog park his leg turned into a horrible red bruisey mess. Now many months later he just has two small scars.

I hope Beau is ok. Call me if you need a listening ear.

Your healing thoughts must be working... he did not need drains... there is a possibility of him coming home. I have to call at 7pm.

Will update.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

I'm so sorry! I hope he's able to come home tonight.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Keeping Beau in my prayers. :candle

We too have learned that Kongs can incite a fight. We used to leave all three with a frozen Kong filled with kibble and sealed with peanut butter. Hindsight is 20/20, but we should have noticed that all three Kongs :kong:kong:kong were always lined up on Riley's bed when we came home. I guess that Gizzy's ear got in the way one time and she had her entire ear 'degloved' as a result. It was very messy, and very painful for Gizzy. Our vet told me much later that the head vet thought that they might have to amputate her entire ear! The lesson we learned is that food unsupervised is not a good idea for our pack. No more Kongs, just a small (very small) cookie when we leave that is eaten immediately.

Perhaps you need to think of a way to separate them more. Maybe a taller x-pen? Or a full screen door on a bedroom?

I hope that Beau can come home this evening.

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest PhillyPups

Actually, mine get the cookie when I RETURN so I am there, when I leave they get an ear scritch and a kiss and a MUZZLE, so they do look forward to me coming home.

Stepper, after a long racing career, came to me with NO scars. He now has the nastiest scar on his over $5,000 leg that happened in my backyard. when the only thing I can think of is he grazed a low broken branch on a tree (it was during high winds). It is scarred nasty, good news is he did not lose his leg, which was in question, is he any less handsome? NOPE do I love him any differently?? NOPE, so if he scars, just be greytful it was NOT the jugular that was gotten, and remember - to a man, a scar is MANLY.

Sending more prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending lots of good thoughts for Beau and for you :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I'm so sorry this has happened!! Sending warm, healing wishes for Beau. f_yellow.

I had the same thing happen when I had Chance and Seamus. They were actually fighting over a groundhog (ugh) and things got crazy and Chance went after Seamus. I was watching from the window and felt like I was in slow motion. Even after Seamus got away and started to run, Chance chased him and took him down again. Seamus was terribly wounded and had to stay at the vet overnight. Chance had attacked him once before, although not nearly as bad. I made the decision to rehome Seamus - I knew Chance had to be an only dog. Of course, this is MY situation, I'm not for one second thinking you should do the same, I'm just relating my experience.

I was very fortunate to place Seamus not too far away with a wonderful woman and a sweet Grey-sister. Chance was very happy being an only until he went to the Bridge last week....

I'm sure Beau will recover nicely, and yes, they do 'fur' over the scars.

Nancy

th_Chancepool.jpgmissing my Angel, Chance ~ 1/23/99 - 1/24/08 (Fortified Heart)

"...for every joy that passes, something beautiful remains"

Keeping Beau in my prayers. :candle

We too have learned that Kongs can incite a fight. We used to leave all three with a frozen Kong filled with kibble and sealed with peanut butter. Hindsight is 20/20, but we should have noticed that all three Kongs :kong:kong:kong were always lined up on Riley's bed when we came home. I guess that Gizzy's ear got in the way one time and she had her entire ear 'degloved' as a result. It was very messy, and very painful for Gizzy. Our vet told me much later that the head vet thought that they might have to amputate her entire ear! The lesson we learned is that food unsupervised is not a good idea for our pack. No more Kongs, just a small (very small) cookie when we leave that is eaten immediately.

Carol Ann

We abslolutely will not leave kongs. Just a bite sized cookie for them.

We are both sitting here trying to figure out just how to organize the area so that Beau can not jump in. Who would have thought I would need a 7 foot chain link fence in my bedroom???

I am not feeling warm and fuzzy toward Teddy.

Edited by RobinM

Guest greycious_gal

I'm very sorry this happened. Try to remember they were doing what dogs do to defend their "spoils" in the moment. This, sad and hard as it is, shouldn't reflect too badly on Teddy. Everyone will likely be okay with a little love, treatment, and time.

Guest GiJenn51

It's tough, but Teddy was doing what he does, and that's defend for his food. I'm so sorry to hear about Beau. I can tell you -- as the foster home to many boo boo dogs-- the bruising is always bad, it looks much much worse than it really is. I have my days where it's hard for me to keep that in my mind.

I know that what Teddy was doing was normal for him. Even Little Ms. Polli sounds like she will rip your throat out if you threaten her "stuff".

My Beau is so not like that at all. He lets everyone take his stuff... then he comes crying to me like a 2 year old! He's a bit, just a bit different.

45 minutes to find out if he can come home.

robin, you and beau (and teddy, too) are in my thoughts...

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I am not feeling warm and fuzzy toward Teddy.

I know exactly how you feel. After Gizzy's ear was hurt so badly I was so disappointed in Riley. The really crazy thing for us is that we did not even have any proof that he was the one who did it! It took me a couple of days to really get over that feeling towards Riley.

Keeping fingers crossed for a good report tonight.

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest LindsaySF

Poor Beau! I hope he can come home soon. :hope

I agree with what KennelMom said, Greyhounds tend to look terrible at first when they are wounded. It's because they have no fat, short hair, and such thin skin. You can see the bruising so easily, their skin tears too easily, etc. Once he starts to heal a bit it won't be too bad.

I think a 2 or 3 foot ex-pen is too short for a dog as tall as a Greyhound. A lot of Greys don't seem motivated to do so, but they can jump really high if they put their mind to it. Especially with a piece of furniture to give them a boost. If you don't want to crate Teddy, you can get a taller ex-pen (4 feet), or even an ex-pen with a top. That way you know he is contained, but it has more room than a crate does. I use a 4 foot ex-pen to separate Teagan and Cody when I'm not home.

On the webcam I have seen Beau and Teddy "going at it" through the ex – pen when DH leaves for work (always after me) and leaves everyone their kongs. It's pretty scary to watch them barking at each other for the 2-3 minutes they do it

If they 'fence fight' this badly when no one is there, you might consider blocking their view of each other (drape a blanket or something over the pen).

~Lindsay~

Beau is a bit "wobbley" as per the nurse, so we can get him tonight. 8:30.

I am scared to see him. DH said the wounds were horrible. The docs said it was "bad". DH took a picture with his cell but I did not want to see it. What's the point?

We have Teddy's muzzle, it does irritate his nose and I am afraid that he might get it off. I know several GHs that can take their muzzle off especially if they are wearing it 6 hours a day.

However DH wants to know if the cloth/nylon muzzles are OK? Can they open their mouths with the cloth or only the plastic???

Poor Beau! I hope he can come home soon. :hope

I agree with what KennelMom said, Greyhounds tend to look terrible at first when they are wounded. It's because they have no fat, short hair, and such thin skin. You can see the bruising so easily, their skin tears too easily, etc. Once he starts to heal a bit it won't be too bad.

I think a 2 or 3 foot ex-pen is too short for a dog as tall as a Greyhound. A lot of Greys don't seem motivated to do so, but they can jump really high if they put their mind to it. Especially with a piece of furniture to give them a boost. If you don't want to crate Teddy, you can get a taller ex-pen (4 feet), or even an ex-pen with a top. That way you know he is contained, but it has more room than a crate does. I use a 4 foot ex-pen to separate Teagan and Cody when I'm not home.

On the webcam I have seen Beau and Teddy "going at it" through the ex – pen when DH leaves for work (always after me) and leaves everyone their kongs. It's pretty scary to watch them barking at each other for the 2-3 minutes they do it

If they 'fence fight' this badly when no one is there, you might consider blocking their view of each other (drape a blanket or something over the pen).

~Lindsey~

Teddy is NOT in a ex pen. Teddy has free rein of the house. We have a very large master bedroom. Aprox 1200 sq. feet. We divide 1/2 of it with two 3 foot expens that are open as a wall. They divide the room with 2 other gates and a chair as an anchor. They are all hooked together. The other 3 are together, no aggression issues. Teddy is able to stay in the room divided by the 3 foot wall. Teddy does not jump. Beau, who has the bed on his side of the room can jump on the bed and over into Teddy's side. he's done it before BUT with the Kong, it became "the issue".

We can muzzle Teddy and bring the pens back another few feet so when and if beau does leap, he will wind up still on his own side. OR we can muzzle Teddy and buy a 4 foot ex-pen.