Dental Cost And Concerns

Guest ohgreyt

Guest ohgreyt

Hello. It's been so long since I've been on this site that I was deleted! :( Anyway, what do you guys normally pay for a cleaning with no issues? Mira is past due for a cleaning. She will be three next month, and I don't think she has any problems, other than severe breath! I am in the process of finding a new vet, so therefore am unable to get a quote.

I am also worried about the whole procedure. You know, the putting them out, and so forth. Should I be worried?

Guest DebSzal

I know how you feel!! I just got Gracie in August and although she had a dental before adoption the vet said her teeth needed to be done again. I finally made the appointment in December. The vet charged close to $200, and put Gracie in a 'twilight' sleep. I took her in at 9AM and was able to pick her up around 4PM. She did very well with the anesthetic (she turned 6 in October). The hardest part for me was withholding food before the procedure! She came home happy and with sparkling teeth and NO bad breath. I wished I had done it sooner. The vet told me they did a complete cleaning and all the teeth were firmly in place, but the gums were not so good. They did not have to remove any teeth, which they would have done at that time. I had her on antibiotics for awhile and now brush her teeth daily. So far so good-her gums are looking a lot better. This was my first and not last experience with a doggy dental-hope it helped.

Guest KennelMom

The price is really going to depend on your vet and the number of extractions.

The last dental we had done on a dog was about $170 w/bloodwork and one (upper canine) extraction.

I won't even tell you what the cost for teeth cleaning is here...it would scare you.Putting dogs under is always scary, especially these guys. I had to have my 11yr old in for a dental because I knew he had a few teeth bothering him and I thank God he pulled through fine. Depending on what drug the vet uses, I believe it makes a difference. At least that's what my vet tells me.My vet was just at a seminar and they were talking about Biotene, which is a people's mouth wash. They have been using it on dogs that have a problem with plaque building up and redness along the gum line. I've been using it on my female and what a difference it has made.I just rub it on her teeth and gums once a day.Her teeth were checked yesterday and my vet said she will not need her teeth cleaned yet and it's been well over a year.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I won't even tell you what the cost for teeth cleaning is here...it would scare you.Putting dogs under is always scary, especially these guys. I had to have my 11yr old in for a dental because I knew he had a few teeth bothering him and I thank God he pulled through fine. Depending on what drug the vet uses, I believe it makes a difference. At least that's what my vet tells me.My vet was just at a seminar and they were talking about Biotene, which is a people's mouth wash. They have been using it on dogs that have a problem with plaque building up and redness along the gum line. I've been using it on my female and what a difference it has made.I just rub it on her teeth and gums once a day.Her teeth were checked yesterday and my vet said she will not need her teeth cleaned yet and it's been well over a year.

Just wanted to note, all Biotene products contain Xylitol, which the AVMA put a press release out on, saying it was dangerous for dogs and possibly life-threatening: http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/sep04/040901c.asp

Edited by Wish

twelve year old loca recently had a dental that included an extraction, and came through with flying colours. i know the the vets in my area offer 1/2 price dental during the month of february; maybe they do where you live also.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest gomiesmom

Hi- I am in central VA and had a 1st greyhound dental 12/7. The charge for the dental cleaning w/ pre-dental blood work was 220.00. My vet used a pediatric gas called sevoflourine. I am told that they can control the amount so well and you hound is never really truly "out" with this. Also, no pre anaesthetic calming drugs are needed.

I was VERY nervous to say the least, with all you read about hounds and reactions, but my boy came through just fine.

Suzanne Stack's article on greyhound anesthesia advocates the sevo gas, but does state the safest is usually what your vet is most familiar with..........

I hope this will help you in some way.

Cost varies widely depending on your location. Here ours are about $300 for normal dental no extractions.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

The price is really going to depend on your vet and the number of extractions.

The last dental we had done on a dog was about $170 w/bloodwork and one (upper canine) extraction.

Obviously, based on these replies, it greatly depends on where you live.

I paid $246 recently for a well cat annual check up!

The dental cleaning (7 pound cat) was over $400.

My dog's dental (no extractions, but x-rays) was close to $600. I'm right outside of Boston, FYI. My vet charges $56 to say hello...

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck