I Cannot Potty Train Newest Addition

Guest iluvgreysnwhpts

Guest iluvgreysnwhpts

I have two other rescues, one grey and one whippet...both males. Two weeks ago we adopted our third Greyhound, but I cannot seem to train her. I have had dogs my entire life, but this one is a headscratcher. I take her out on a schedule both before and after feedings, but she cannot seem to make it past 2 hrs. w/o having to go out. I can just let her out---turn my back, and then she is gone doing her business in my livingroom, either peeing or pooping. Please somebody help me! I have never experienced anything like this, and I had a dog with such SA that she ate through a wall!! Thank you in advance for your support and advice.

Guest sc1911cwp

Though I am new to greyhounds I would first make sure there is nothing medically wrong going on like a UTI. I would also contact the group you got her/him from to see about the hounds schedule and mannerisms while there or the foster family. Additionally ask them if the vet found anything wrong during the exam although it may have been awhile. Invest in some belly bands for traing and to save your home. Hope this helps alittle.

Guest iluvgreysnwhpts
Though I am new to greyhounds I would first make sure there is nothing medically wrong going on like a UTI. I would also contact the group you got her/him from to see about the hounds schedule and mannerisms while there or the foster family. Additionally ask them if the vet found anything wrong during the exam although it may have been awhile. Invest in some belly bands for traing and to save your home. Hope this helps alittle.

Guest iluvgreysnwhpts

I have been on the phone and e-mail back and forth, and she was fine prior to adoption. She is pretty much just off the track so everyone is shocked by this recent behavior The leash is new to her, but it is pooping too, so UTI is not likely. She does not have free roam until she is empty, which is the other thing that is so frustrating. She should not have to go out every hour just to be trusted for 2 mins. This is why I am out of my mind. I appreciate your help, but I am so devastated. God Bless for your time :o)

First of all, welcome and take a deep breath! I can only imagine.

Some things that might help:

1. Use an enzymatic cleaner to make sure you get any scent (even if YOU can't smell it!) out of the places she's pottied.

2. Umbilical cord time. This is where you leash her to you all day and evening, whenever she's out of her crate (if she uses one and can keep it clean). That way, you'll be aware of the signs immediately, and will be more able to react at the moment to redirect her and whisk her outside.

3. Try to remain calm about this. It's been a very short time for her, and she's probably still pretty wierded out, not knowing what the rules are about anything. When she does potty outside, make a big happy deal out of it, even treats, happy talk, petting.

4. (and this could be #1) Rule out a physical problem.

If you follow this routine for a few days, it should work out alright.

Many more people will come in with experience and advice.

Good luck! Hang in there!

Oh, you were posting while I was writing, so I'll add:

If she's only able to potty while on leash, that might be part of the problem. So many greys can be leash-shy. I have one that will pee but NOT poop on leash (yet!), who has to be let loose in the yard to get herself properly emptied out, even after a good walk.

Again, she's so new to all of this. Try the umbilical technique. It will work. :)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest iluvgreysnwhpts
First of all, welcome and take a deep breath! I can only imagine.

Some things that might help:

1. Use an enzymatic cleaner to make sure you get any scent (even if YOU can't smell it!) out of the places she's pottied.

2. Umbilical cord time. This is where you leash her to you all day and evening, whenever she's out of her crate (if she uses one and can keep it clean). That way, you'll be aware of the signs immediately, and will be more able to react at the moment to redirect her and whisk her outside.

3. Try to remain calm about this. It's been a very short time for her, and she's probably still pretty wierded out, not knowing what the rules are about anything. When she does potty outside, make a big happy deal out of it, even treats, happy talk, petting.

4. (and this could be #1) Rule out a physical problem.

If you follow this routine for a few days, it should work out alright.

Many more people will come in with experience and advice.

I sleep with her attached to me at night, and I thought I was crazy! HAHA ... Thank you. I thought I was getting off the scent, but maybe I am not. I will buy a better product.

Edited by iluvgreysnwhpts

Guest Winterwish

That sounds like an awful lot of urinating. I would definitely have her tested for a urinary tract infection.

I know you mentioned she's also pooping,but I'd still make sure of to bring in a urine sample to absolutely rule that out.

Nature's Miracle,purchased in pet stores,has been recommended many times with success as a cleanser for potty training accidents. :)

Where are the other dogs when she is "going"?

What does she do all day (besides pee/poop on the floor)?

Does she potty every time she is taken outside?

What does she eat? How much? When?

I too would take in urine sample and poop sample to check for UTI and worms. Easy and cheap. She may not have either one, but I can't tell you how many times folks (including me!!!) are absolutely certain they don't ... and they do.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest iluvgreysnwhpts
Where are the other dogs when she is "going"?

What does she do all day (besides pee/poop on the floor)?

Does she potty every time she is taken outside?

What does she eat? How much? When?

I too would take in urine sample and poop sample to check for UTI and worms. Easy and cheap. She may not have either one, but I can't tell you how many times folks (including me!!!) are absolutely certain they don't ... and they do.

The boys are usually sleeping or just hanging.

She is now beginning to play a little, but we have been soooooo cold that going outside is painful, which is not helping.

yes, she pretty much goes potty every time, and if she does not...i crate her.

i have her on nutro, herring and sweet potato, because it worked best for my most sensitive boy, 3x per day with a little filtered water, and some pepto last night, because she had explosive you know what!

She is now beginning to play a little, but we have been soooooo cold that going outside is painful, which is not helping.

does this mean she isn't getting daily walks? if so, she needs to start getting them. if it's cold, take her out for 15-20 minutes at a time a few times a day, particularly in the morning and before bed.

the vet visit is also in order. dogs who have a need to urinate will sometimes also relieve their bowels, so her defecating is not necessarily an indication that she doesn't have an infection.

also, are you rewarding her when she does potty outside? if not, i would start, with something REALLY delicious (think leftover steak or at least hot dogs or lunch meat).

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

When we got Ruby she seemed to want to tinkle every 2 hours... so we let her and gradually extended her time-between-outs. She needs to go more often then Kingsley and seems to go more often when stressed, so hopefully your girl will continue to ease into home-life and learn how to only go outside, and hopefully learn how to ask quickly! (for your sake)

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest iluvgreysnwhpts

does this mean she isn't getting daily walks? if so, she needs to start getting them. if it's cold, take her out for 15-20 minutes at a time a few times a day, particularly in the morning and before bed.

the vet visit is also in order. dogs who have a need to urinate will sometimes also relieve their bowels, so her defecating is not necessarily an indication that she doesn't have an infection.

also, are you rewarding her when she does potty outside? if not, i would start, with something REALLY delicious (think leftover steak or at least hot dogs or lunch meat).

Most walks have been potty walks, because it takes her so long to go. I am guilty of not being able to do daily walks, which is why we have been having indoor playtime. It has been windy and bitter with night time temps in the single digits. I think a few warmer days are ahead, with temps around 30, so we can venture out a little more. She loves verbal praise, and yes she gets a treat. Also, I did schedule a vet visit for tomorrow to see if there is a problem, because then there is no training that will work if she is ill.

Thank you for your help and Have a Greyt Day!!

If she's just off the track, then she's just spayed (and she may have been given hormones at the track). Her entire system is in a tizzy.

She needs to be seen by the vet--which you really should do immediately upon getting her anyway, if for no other reason than to establish a baseline for things like urine and blood values.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest HeatherDemps

I don't have any advice in addition to what has already been mentioned but wanted to let you know you have my sympathy!! I went through SA with mine, so I know what a nightmare all the accidents can be! Good luck!

Guest iluvgreysnwhpts

Emma had her sutures removed from her spay yesterday, and I was able to speak with the Vet. It seems to be primarily behavioral, and I really have to be tougher with the crating...which I have! I finally caught Emma in the act, and I got her outside immediately, but she did nothing, so she had to go back in the crate. This is definitely far mor crating than I have ever had to do, but just like children, they are all different!

Emma is just off the track, and she has only been with me for two weeks. It does not help that I work from home, so my schedule is always different. I am seeing a little more clearly then I was last week, and I am accepting the challenges a little bettter. I love her dearly and we will get through this, I just don't want to see the house trashed in the process! Thank you all for your advice and support. It really is Greyt to have a place to vent and share ideas and stories.

Vanessa :rolleyes:

Guest WarmheartedPups

I have a girl that took a looooonnng time. I just kept trying different things....people would give me advise and I would try it....then something else......pulling my hair out along the way!!

After 10 months, we are down to an occasional accident....but he cues for needing out are VERY subtle....its a look....Ive learned it and out she goes.

Good luck to you......it will get better.

1. You've had her 2 weeks? Patience, grasshopper. It took me a YEAR to fully housetrain my third greyhound. When you read books at the store about "length of time it takes to housetrain" they will almost alway say 6 months to a year.

2. Keep a schedule. Very important. As much as you can. "We go out FOR SURE at 7, 12, 5 and 10", 15 mins. after meals and directly after a nap. Just like a puppy.

3. When you go out, keep her on lead until you SEE THAT SHE GOES. No turning out into the yard and then going back into the house. Give a treat and praise her to the skies when she eliminates.

4. Crate her when you leave the house (with a nice treat and the radio playing nearby) and when you can't observe her. Close off all but the immediate areas of your house when you are home. Do no allow her to wander unattended. She hasn't earned that privilege.

5. Try to appreciate the GREAT things about this pup and do not scold or become angry upon finding an accident. Put the dog away somewhere and clean it up thorougly with vinegar, water and a strong enzymatic cleaner. Dogs pick up on your anxiety about this issue (yeah, I know about THAT one from personal experience) and it sets them back in their learning process.

6. Give house freedoms a bit at a time...and time out of the crate when you are gone a little at a time. If you are providing adequate turnouts, on schedule and with supervision, if there is then an accident, GO BACK TO SQUARE 1 and START AGAIN. If you've done everything else right and they still don't "Get it", you've rushed them somewhere in the process and something is not connecting and they need to go back until it connects.

Sound like a lot of work? It is.

Having a dog is a lot of work, but we love them, they are fun and beautiful and their affection and devotion is our reward so we gotta STICK WITH IT.

Time time time and patience patience patience. You can do it.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest iluvgreysnwhpts
1. You've had her 2 weeks? Patience, grasshopper. It took me a YEAR to fully housetrain my third greyhound. When you read books at the store about "length of time it takes to housetrain" they will almost alway say 6 months to a year.

2. Keep a schedule. Very important. As much as you can. "We go out FOR SURE at 7, 12, 5 and 10", 15 mins. after meals and directly after a nap. Just like a puppy.

3. When you go out, keep her on lead until you SEE THAT SHE GOES. No turning out into the yard and then going back into the house. Give a treat and praise her to the skies when she eliminates.

4. Crate her when you leave the house (with a nice treat and the radio playing nearby) and when you can't observe her. Close off all but the immediate areas of your house when you are home. Do no allow her to wander unattended. She hasn't earned that privilege.

5. Try to appreciate the GREAT things about this pup and do not scold or become angry upon finding an accident. Put the dog away somewhere and clean it up thorougly with vinegar, water and a strong enzymatic cleaner. Dogs pick up on your anxiety about this issue (yeah, I know about THAT one from personal experience) and it sets them back in their learning process.

6. Give house freedoms a bit at a time...and time out of the crate when you are gone a little at a time. If you are providing adequate turnouts, on schedule and with supervision, if there is then an accident, GO BACK TO SQUARE 1 and START AGAIN. If you've done everything else right and they still don't "Get it", you've rushed them somewhere in the process and something is not connecting and they need to go back until it connects.

Sound like a lot of work? It is.

Having a dog is a lot of work, but we love them, they are fun and beautiful and their affection and devotion is our reward so we gotta STICK WITH IT.

Time time time and patience patience patience. You can do it.

Thank you for your help...Greyt tips.

Thankfully, we had a wonderful day today! :lol

Guest Winterwish

Just want to recommend using the same exact word or couple of words to match the act of going to the bathroom outside,which definitely is best to go out with her to help her learn what she needs to do.

Use of a word,or a couple of words,the same every time, begins to help click in to what you are expecting her to do outside,which is to "go peedy and poody".

Praise,praise, "good poody!!!" or whatever words you use for her.

The use and association of words to match what she needs to do, are instructions,and will help her. Very important. Just like teaching the word "lay down" with the action of laying down,etc.

For now,she'll need much more frequent trips outside then you will need to do in the future. I know it's cold,but it's is best done together.

One more important thing is to aim for success by watching the amount of water she's drank,keeping that in mind,and taking her out an hour and a half later,so by that time,she'll be needing to void, thereby creating an opportunity for a more predictable success. Again,using the word you choose for pottying,followed by praise,petting her,saying "good potty!!!"

And then,mission accomplished,back in the house.

Just want to revisit the UTI factor,and if that wasn't tested for,one can't really say they think it's primarily behavioral,know what I mean?

And primarily behavioral is not definitively behavioral by the very definition of 'primarily'. Not saying this for any other reason then the possibility of a UTI still apparently needing to be ruled out.

Hopefully very soon your new girlie will be doing the happy dance two step outside each time real soon!

Fingers crossed! :):goodluck

Guest ibeakila
I have two other rescues, one grey and one whippet...both males. Two weeks ago we adopted our third Greyhound, but I cannot seem to train her. I have had dogs my entire life, but this one is a headscratcher. I take her out on a schedule both before and after feedings, but she cannot seem to make it past 2 hrs. w/o having to go out. I can just let her out---turn my back, and then she is gone doing her business in my livingroom, either peeing or pooping. Please somebody help me! I have never experienced anything like this, and I had a dog with such SA that she ate through a wall!! Thank you in advance for your support and advice.

Have you tried using a crate??

Guest crazy4greys
Have you tried using a crate??

She is using the crate. See her post below.

Emma had her sutures removed from her spay yesterday, and I was able to speak with the Vet. It seems to be primarily behavioral, and I really have to be tougher with the crating...which I have! I finally caught Emma in the act, and I got her outside immediately, but she did nothing, so she had to go back in the crate. This is definitely far mor crating than I have ever had to do, but just like children, they are all different!

Does she fully pee or just go a bit?

Some girls do mark like boys. I had a foster that would back up to the fridge and lift her leg and pee! :rolleyes:

I also second getting her checked for a UTI.

Good luck.

Edited by crazy4greys

Guest MomtoMiniMe

Emma is just off the track, and she has only been with me for two weeks. It does not help that I work from home, so my schedule is always different. I am seeing a little more clearly then I was last week, and I am accepting the challenges a little bettter. I love her dearly and we will get through this, I just don't want to see the house trashed in the process! Thank you all for your advice and support. It really is Greyt to have a place to vent and share ideas and stories.

Vanessa :rolleyes:

Did the vet do a urinanalysis? If so, the results were negative? She was just spayed, could this also be spay incontinence? Dunno, just thinking out loud. I have e female who came to me from a bad situation, she was virtually "untrained" in her prior home. I had to work, work and continue to work with her. She still has mistakes, but they are normally when I don't get her outside immediately in the morning etc.

Goodluck.