How Long Before You Worry?

Since Friday night Ruby has had liquid poop. I would not classify it as "the Big D" since she is not going more frequently, or with urgency, but it is liquid from a girl that has always had nice poops.

Fed her Sat-Sun rice and beef with some pumpkin.

How long before I worry, or take her to the vet?

I will mention, that her morning poops have a bit of form to them, though very mucus-y, while evening poops are liquid.

She is showing no signs of not feeling well.

Thanks for your thoughts

Oh, I'll add that she did have some new-to-her treats on Friday, so we are hoping/guessing that that was the cause.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest KelseysLackey
Oh, I'll add that she did have some new-to-her treats on Friday, so we are hoping/guessing that that was the cause.

That would be my first thought.

Kelsey has had tummy issues almost since we first got her, so liquid / mucus poops is not at all uncommon here.

As long as Ruby is eating / drinking and behaving normally otherwise, I would keep an eye on things, but wouldn't worry too much unless it persists more than a week or so. We have found with Kelsey that when her tummy reacts to new food, it can take a while to settle down, sometimes as long as 1-2 weeks.

Thanks, KelseysLackey

Kingsley is our sensitive stomach dog, so I am used to mushy poops with him, so was not too worried, but have not seen such liquid before and I did not want to gloss-over anything that went on for more than a couple days.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Is giving pumpkin a regular thing? Most dogs firm up with it but some, like my Gracie, get the runs even with just a teaspoonful.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I wouldn't wait beyond tomorrow. I take it you're not giving her any of those treats anymore? If you are, just hold back to see if her poop normalizes. If it doesn't, I'd take her to the vet if I were you. Good luck, I hope this clears up soon.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

If you have stopped the treats and she hasn't returned to normal, I would take her in for a vet check.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Assuming she's not had anymore of the treats and considering the fecal matter is mucous-y, it would be a good idea to have a fecal done checking for worms and protozoan and other little nasties that cause intestinal issues.