How Long Will Polli Be Ok Without Food / Water?

RobinM

As far as I could see on the webcam, Polli picked a little bit on her dry kibble (we only leave 1/4 cup since we know Chloe gets most of it) and dried chicken strip when we left for work.

At the very best, she had a few bites and then she ignores it so Chloe eats it. So, for all intents and purposes, she's had nothing.

What makes tonight different from any other night is that she has had NOTHING at all tonight. I made her 4 different things and she is just laying there, turning away as if to say... I can not believe you do not get it lady. No water either all night.

She did not get up to greet me when I came home from work, but she did get up and greet DH when he got home 2 hours before me. He said she seemed OK and there was nothing obviously wrong, maybe a bit subdued. She was definitely not as vocal as usual.

Since I've gotten home at 4:30 she has done nothing but sleep. No cookies, no dinner, 4 different choices and no water.

Last night her dinner was bit ligher than usual as well but there was food in her.

I am trying not to panic.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest grey_dreams

So sorry to hear that Polli won't eat. I know you've tried everything so I can't give you any advice. All I can say is that when Zuki first came home I tried to give him a mix of Nutro kibble + commercially prepared barf (Carnibest, which contains mix of organs, bones, meat, ground vegetables, rice, oils). He absolutely refused to eat kibble so after 2 days I switched to only feeding Carnibest. Unlike Polli, he will also eat sardines and mackerel, and the occasional boiled egg. If Polli isn't eating dry food her water intake will probably also decrease - Zuki's water intake is also very minimal.

C'mon Polli, eat something sweetie.

Guest wmlcml6

I probably missed something about Polli in another thread so I am not sure if she just had surgery or something, but to answer to your question of how long they can go without, Troublina went 7 days without food or water when she got sick at 6 weeks old. Obviously she was very sick, and you don't want them to go this long, but they can survive it -- and if you've seen any pics of Trouble lately, they not only survive it - but thrive. I should note that without giving her sub-q fluids plus B12 several times a day, she would not have made it. Hydration is the key to keeping them functioning during times like this. So I guess I should have said they can go without food, but they must have fluids.

I've noticed following surgery, or during a stomach virus issue, the dogs just know if they put food or water in their system it will make them feel worse. If it lasts more than a couple of days, I'd take her to the vet. But I learned from my vet during Trouble's illness that to introduce food to them actually slows down the stomach's healing process because just smelling the food triggers digestive functions such as stomach acid forming and other stuff I can't remember this early in the morning. You know how if you smell food, and you're hungry, your stomach responds by getting rumbly? You want to avoid any further disruption to her belly if she already feels under the weather.

I hope she feels better soon.

To clarify better--- Polli HAD been giving me trouble eating, but was eating. Not the way I had hoped, but she was.

We had it down to a science.

As of yesterday she ate/drank NOTHING. She has not been ill and she has not had any surgery.

THis is literally out of left field.

I tried to offer her water this morning, she refused.

I will make an appointment to see the vet today.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

In my experience - after ruling out medical - older dogs can become very picky with what they eat.

My oldest is 14.7 yo. She was never a picky eater - I adopted her at 7.5yo. About 6mos ago Fantana decided she only wanted canned food & not the same food more than 2x in a row. So...I buy many different varieties & brands of canned food. I sometimes have to try 3 -4 different ones before she eats. I have found she likes it warmed in the microwve & sometimes I sprinkle canned chicken or Parmasean cheese on top for her to smell. I never let her miss more than 2 meals.

She also gets a can of Ensure (nutritional supplement) at each meal. She never passes on her "milkshake", so even if she skips a meal she still gets nutriition. At her age I don't want to take chances.

Pedialite is also a good idea. If she won't drink - syringe it into the back of her mouth. She has to have fluids.

You might want to try feeding her at different times too. Some of my seniors have likes to eat later in the day/evening than earlier.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement

Louisville, KY

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

In my experience - after ruling out medical - older dogs can become very picky with what they eat.

That we know and we make sure we have TRIPE in the house, EVO and other real smelly food for her. I also make about 9 pounds (YES 9) of chicken a week since that is always her "default" food. We've been through that already.

The fact that she won't take any of her cookies or water... that's how I know it's different this time.

My oldest is 14.7 yo. She was never a picky eater - I adopted her at 7.5yo. About 6mos ago Fantana decided she only wanted canned food & not the same food more than 2x in a row. So...I buy many different varieties & brands of canned food. I sometimes have to try 3 -4 different ones before she eats. I have found she likes it warmed in the microwve & sometimes I sprinkle canned chicken or Parmasean cheese on top for her to smell. I never let her miss more than 2 meals.

She also gets a can of Ensure (nutritional supplement) at each meal. She never passes on her "milkshake", so even if she skips a meal she still gets nutriition. At her age I don't want to take chances.

Polli turns her nose at the things most dogs go crazy over... yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, hamburger, etc.

Pedialite is also a good idea. If she won't drink - syringe it into the back of her mouth. She has to have fluids.

DH is going out right now to get that. THAT is something I hadn't thought about.

You might want to try feeding her at different times too. Some of my seniors have likes to eat later in the day/evening than earlier.

Agreed. Polli STARTS eating at 10PM!!! And she only eats 1x a day. She will pick at a little dry kibble about 5pm SOMETIMES, but at 10Pm is when she normally gets her kibble mixed with chicken or canned.

Thanks.

Jennifer Watkins

Louisville, KY

If she hasn't had diarrhea or vomiting, she might not need to drink. I would want her to all the same. Warmed water mixed with broth or milk or honey usually gets them drinking here .....

I'd probably take her temp and watch for other signs of illness. Given her history, one day without eating wouldn't freak me out but I'd probably want her to be eating something day 2 or off to the vet.

When Joseph had his recent surgical adventure, he couldn't eat anything for 3 days and not much on days 4-5. He lost @ 4-5 lbs. He is a young tough critter tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Gee you have my sympathies, I am also going through the "my old dog is too picky with food" How old is she?

Darius sometimes eats later in the day, I think jsut because he perfers that. Think of senior people, darius could well be 105 in people years. My 97 year old grandmother eats like a bug and is also thin but still getting around and having no real health issues.

I am getting some Ensure to try this weekend, I hope he likes it. I am determined to prove that Darius has no health issues, he just eats less and "expects" better things from his mother.

Edited by Madeara
"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Poops look good this morning. 2 pees. Tush up, playing with a toy. Polli has just turned 9.

A little more vocal this morning than last night.

Still, no water. I gave her 1 dropper of Pedialite. Will give her another every 1/2 hour. She is not happy about that!

IF she has not taken any water by early afternoon, we're going to the vet.

Sending my prayers for sweet Miss Polli. Come on sweetie...you have to eat and drink. How about some ice cream? :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

If you are giving her pedialite every half hour she won't need any water... Is it possible to just wait a day and see if she can decide to eat and drink on her own? I know that you have been worried about her eating and drinking on your schedule and with rationed amounts but could it be that she is really just wanting to be left alone?

Isis is my finicky eater. She will not eat when the others do and usually will just stand there and watch them. Does she eat when I want her too? No. Isis prefers her own schedule, sometimes it means she eats a whole bowl at one sitting, sometimes it means she picks at it a few times in the morning and then does this for a week or so. The thing that I have also done is that we ALWAYS share any extra bread or crust or french fries with Isis first. She eats this type of snacks waaaay before she will even touch any of the dog snacks. :rolleyes: I really don't think I have ever stood and watched her drink water. I leave out water all day and night. Have you looked at Pollis gums to see if she looks dehydrated? Does her skin have good turgor? If she isn't looking dehydrated I would just let her wait. I remember one time you saying that she has actually gained some weight and has not lost any since you got her. Has she lost weight recently?

I too tend to be the "worry wort" with my kids but have had to learn to settle with Isis. Good Luck to you and Polli.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest wmlcml6

Jennifer (Shamrock), your girl sounds like my 9 month old, Hope. Eats like a pig if you vary her food, but even varying it, it's a guessing game as to what she'll eat. Sometimes it's not what she'll eat, but what consistency she prefers that day. Some days she'll eat Blue right out of the can, other days I have to add cheese and/or add warm water to it so she can drink it instead of eat it. The things we do to keep her from losing weight!

Oh, Robin, I'm sorry to hear that Polli won't eat or drink. Sending positive thoughts and encouragement to your beautiful girl. Come on sweetie - eat something, at least take a drink! :sad1

:grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Personally I would take her into the vet. Spencer was throwing up for a day and had to be hospitalized because he got very dehydrated - that's only in one day.

She just asked me to go out and spent 15 minutes out there (not usual) picking at grass (what's left of it this time of year). I have never seen her eat grass before...

The plot thickens...

Jennifer (Shamrock), your girl sounds like my 9 month old, Hope. Eats like a pig if you vary her food, but even varying it, it's a guessing game as to what she'll eat. Sometimes it's not what she'll eat, but what consistency she prefers that day. Some days she'll eat Blue right out of the can, other days I have to add cheese and/or add warm water to it so she can drink it instead of eat it. The things we do to keep her from losing weight!

Yeah - at Fantana's age I do not want her losing weight.

This week she has been doing pretty good on a can of Mighty Dog for breakfast with Parmeasean cheese. Had to be the chunky kind. On Wednesday - no go. So I tried a little can of Ol Roy - the pastey kind; warmed with Parm cheese. That she ate with gusto.

This morning it was a big can of Alpo beef chunks and she licked her plate clean.

I have never really had a picky eater, but at 14.7yo - Fantana can have whatever she wants.

Jennifer Watkins

Louisville KY

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

Her tummy is upset from not eating, which is why she is going after the grass.

Jake will starve himself too. I usually end up force feeding him canned food and rice.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15