Cinnibuns Has Bloat

sonya

Yesterday when I got home from work she barfed mostly liquid. Took her for her usual walk and she barfed again and several times retched where I thought she would turn inside out. Figured I better get her to the vet ASAP after what happened to my Sonya. They did blood work and x-rays which showed her stomach was huge......full of gas. She was dehydrated so they gave fluids and Mylanta. I also have Flagyl to give her for 5 days due to increased white count. The rest of her blood work was within normal limits for a greyhound. First x-rays showed the problem and after they gave her Mylanta and fluids, another x-ray showed some decrease in size. I was sent home w/Flagyl and instructions to give her more Mylanta at 8:30 and 11 PM. The vet told me to watch her closely and take her to the e-vet should she start to retch again. We are only about 4 blocks from the e-vet and hoped I didn't have to go there and we didn't. Cinnibuns sleeps in our bedroom and early this morning I could hear her insides gurgling. Hoping that is a good sign. She seems fine but didn't appear to be in pain yesterday either so who knows. Staying home today to keep my eye on her.

update - Cinnibuns fared well through the night. Gave her more Mylanta and fed boiled chicken and rice. Vet talked about tubing her but said he would have to put her out and didn't want to do that unless she got worse. So far - so good.

Oh gosh. I'm sorry. Sending hugs and keeping my fingers crossed that she gets better soon... :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest LittleGreys

Sending good thoughts for Cinnibuns...........I just got home from work (vet tech), had to work over doing emergency surgery on a St Bernard with bloat, he torsed, though. What a rough surgery. He was doing great when I left him, vet did an excellent job.

Guest CBDTherapyDogs

First Aid for Bloat website has been an excellent help for many folks. This has saved dogs lives before.

I had a rescue here bloat and tortion. I got the tube down him, but in the process of loading him up / getting him to the vet.... I'm sorry to say he didn't make it. Once they tortion, they go downhill FAST. It's scary how fast.

Keep Gas-X in your house. If she's bloated once, SOME HOUNDS tend to bloat again. If she were my hound, I would feed her off an elevated feeder. I would also pour her kibble into the bowl, fill it with enough water to "make the kibble float", let it sit for about 30 seconds, then give it to her. Some kibble should still be "floating". I would also feed her twice per day, or if possible, three times per day.

When you watch for bloat - you'll see the dog standing funny... like they are "A - framing". Thier stomach will look like they swallowed a beach ball, and will be tight as a drum. They'll be standing in any way to get pressure off thier stomach. They'll be panting, and in obvious distress. Vomiting, or attempting to vomit, and some even drool.

If you ever suspect your hound is bloating - CALL YOUR VET IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!! STAY CALM!!!!!!!!! Load your hound up quickly into your car, let your vet know that you have a hound bloating, and give an estimated time of arrival. Should this happen during after hours, be sure to know where your E-vet is. I am VERY blessed that our vets are also the county's E-Vet, so my guys see their normal vets. With an estimated time of arrival, the vet can have things prepared for the situation by the time you arrive. As you get closer, if possible, call again and let them know you're "a few blocks away". AGAIN, STAY CALM. Erratic driving will not help.

If it is after hours at your vet, and your there alone with your vet, guess what - you just got voluntered into being the vet tech!!! Get a grip on yourself, and DO WHAT THE VET ASKS. You might be asked to do strange things, or restrain a dog, etc... It doesn't hurt to ask a member of your vet clinic to teach you how to properly restrain a dog, restrain a dog and hold off a leg for an IV catheter (in front and hind leg), hold the head properly for taking a blood sample from the neck, and holding the mouth open for the vet/vet tech to get a tube down the hounds throat.

Prevention is the key. Avoid excess water. Avoid vigorous excersize 1-2 hours after/before a meal (think swimming!). Slowly change foods if you choose to change foods. Feed more meals - 2-3 meals VS 1 meal a day. Avoid foods that cause gas - beans, soy, peas, and beet pulp.

If your dog has bloated once though, they do tend to bloat easier.