Spindle Cell Neoplasia Or Nerve Sheath Tumor ?

Guest ladyann

Guest ladyann

My 6 yr old Lady adopted in June had a lump on her right front leg below the joint. The lump appeared in the last month or so. The vet took a sample and the diagnosis today is that it is spindle cell neoplasia or peripherial nerve sheath tumor. Lady is scheduled for surgery on Friday to remove it (along with a dental). She doesn't seem to be in pain or limping at all. She has had other surgery on that leg before I adopted her, ubt I've no idea what the diagnosis was from other surgeries on her leg prior to June.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this? Thanks!

i found this thread, hope it helps...

My 6 yr old Lady adopted in June had a lump on her right front leg below the joint. The lump appeared in the last month or so. The vet took a sample and the diagnosis today is that it is spindle cell neoplasia or peripherial nerve sheath tumor. Lady is scheduled for surgery on Friday to remove it (along with a dental). She doesn't seem to be in pain or limping at all. She has had other surgery on that leg before I adopted her, ubt I've no idea what the diagnosis was from other surgeries on her leg prior to June.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this? Thanks!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

our 12-year-old nikki had a spindle cell tumor, her second, removed from her upper inside left thigh the day after new year's. she had chemo beads implanted at the surgery site.

this is after she had her first spindle cell tumor one removed from her left hock and had the beads implanted last september. she had developed a limp over this past summer because the tumor had grown quickly and was pressing against bone. following good results from a blood panel and a cardiac ultrasound, we went ahead with surgery.

so far, her left hock looks to be in good shape. her surgeon found the second tumor during a recheck three months post-op. this procedure to implant chemo beads at a surgery site has been done on over 30 dogs so far over the past year and our surgeon has had very good results.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

That was Foxy's initial diagnosis 3 plus years ago. Hers was on her left front leg just under and to the side of the elbow. When the tumor was removed they did a number of tests on it and finally said it was hemangiopericytoma. She has not had a reccurrence.

You or your vet can contact Dr Couto and his team at Ohio State University greyosu@osu.edu

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I'm so sorry.

Pilgrim was diagnosed with Peripheral Nerve Sheath Sarcoma in late 2006. Robinw posted the link to Pilgrim's thread above (thanks Robinw!) I also strongly advise having your vet contact Dr Couto at OSU for a consult on any grey cancer.

Just so you know, and don't get too panicked by Pilgrim's long thread, I heard from several people on that thread and privately whose greys have had no recurrence over several years when the tumor was on the leg.

The fact that Pilgrim's tumor was so close to the spine was particularly frightening. It was very challenging surgically and, if it recurs, further surgery will probably not be possible and radiation will not be much use. Her tumor was also called HEMANGIOPERICYTOMA by the surgeon if you want to google that. Here is one site with some useful information on various canine cancers link

Pilgrim seems to be fine today but we are still watching her carefully!

Hugs to you and Lady and please feel free to PM me if you need more information. I'm not on GT as often as I'd like to be!

Gillian

Catwalk (P's Catwalk) , Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) and now Murphy (Murphy Peabody) --I just failed fostering 101!

Edited by 2whitegreys

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest ladyann

THANK YOU all for your responses and links! Greytalk people are greyt. :rolleyes:

It's on her left front leg under and to the side of the elbow -- same place as foxysmom's Foxy I think.

I am trying to take this news one day at a time but I've only had her for 6 months so I'm a little nervous. She has a scar on the same leg in about the same place as the new tumor which is about the size of a walnut. I don't have any information about the previous surgery - just that a growth was removed last spring before I got her in June.

It's just Lady and me here so I'm hoping I can handle the post surgery recovery alone- whatever that recovery turns out to be. If you have any suggestions of what I should expect or need to know, I'd appreciate the insight.

She's going to the Brookline Animal Hospital with Dr Groper for the surgery.

Sending my many prayers. Is it possible to follow up on her previous surgery and try to obtain that pathology report? :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

My Molly had a nerve sheath tumor on her right rear leg. The tumor was removed and came back one year later. The second time it was removed by laser surgery, and that time it healed much more quickly.

Sending prayers for Lady. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

It's just Lady and me here so I'm hoping I can handle the post surgery recovery alone- whatever that recovery turns out to be. If you have any suggestions of what I should expect or need to know, I'd appreciate the insight.

Hello neighbors, I just noticed you were from Boston! Can you contact the adoption group to see if their vet has the path results from the previous surgury?

As I understand, Lady is going in for a dental and the lump removal on Friday. We'll be thinking of you. The Brookline Animal Hospital has a good reputation and should give you instructions for after-care over the weekend. Dr Groper has probably removed many lumps! The incision may be bigger than you expect, but wide margins are good. Keeping Lady quiet post-surgery is important, but you should be fine.

Once the tumor is analyzed and the path results back you should have a more precise diagnosis.

Again, I hope Pilgrim's story is not too frightening because I don't think the need for such extensive surgery it is all that common. She had very wide margins taken with the initial lump removal, but there were scattered cells near the border which surprised everyone. Thus the need for the later quite radical surgery and a long hard recovery.

If you need a second opinion locally or (heaven forbid) more surgery, we used Vetcision in Waltham for Pilgrim's second surgery and I'd highly recommend them (although I spent 10 days biting my nails and bugging them for the path results)! Vetcision is the surgical part of the New England Veterinary Oncology Group (NEVOG). link

Hope this helps :grouphug

Gillian

Gillian

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

THANK YOU all for your responses and links! Greytalk people are greyt. :rolleyes:

It's on her left front leg under and to the side of the elbow -- same place as foxysmom's Foxy I think.

I am trying to take this news one day at a time but I've only had her for 6 months so I'm a little nervous. She has a scar on the same leg in about the same place as the new tumor which is about the size of a walnut. I don't have any information about the previous surgery - just that a growth was removed last spring before I got her in June.

There is a product called Facilitator that really helps speed the granulation and healing. You could ask the vet about it. I used it on Molly's leg. With no extra skin there was a pretty good size open wound that needed to heal and the Facilitator really helped, you could see the granulation improve daily.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest tampagreymom

My Jade had a growth removed on her right front leg just above the joint last March. The vet saw spindle cells in the needle aspiration and surgery was done right away. It turned out to be Hemangiopericytoma. As stated above by another poster, do not be surprised at the large size of the incision. They did that to get clean margins. It was a hard place to bandage because of constant movement and the incision took a long time to heal -especially after the stitches popped and they had to put in staples. One thing that helped after the bandages were off and Jade started licking the incision was 4-legged jammies to cover her leg. So far she has no recurrence of the tumor. Good luck with Lady's surgery and I pray for clean margins.

It sounds quite similar to Foxy's. I would definitely contact OSU, as they are have the latest treatments to offer. Dr Couto has a treatment that is fairly simple should it turn out not to be a nerve sheath tumor. The vet can in inject a small amount of chemo drug mixed with sesame oil into the removal site. It has to be done under sedation, but is much less arduous on the dog than regular chemo. Dr Couto offered that as an option should Foxy's tumor return.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest ladyann
My Jade had a growth removed on her right front leg just above the joint last March. The vet saw spindle cells in the needle aspiration and surgery was done right away. It turned out to be Hemangiopericytoma. As stated above by another poster, do not be surprised at the large size of the incision. They did that to get clean margins. It was a hard place to bandage because of constant movement and the incision took a long time to heal -especially after the stitches popped and they had to put in staples. One thing that helped after the bandages were off and Jade started licking the incision was 4-legged jammies to cover her leg. So far she has no recurrence of the tumor. Good luck with Lady's surgery and I pray for clean margins.

The vet said it could be hemangiopericytoma .

Can you tell me who sells the 4-legged jammies? Shopping for new jammies is a good thing and she doesn't have any yet.

Did you have to carry her at all? I live in a basement apt with 8-10 stairs so I'm wondering about the logistics of getting those 75 lbs of fur home and in and out for potty breaks.

thank you for the positive thoughts!

The vet said it could be hemangiopericytoma .

Can you tell me who sells the 4-legged jammies? Shopping for new jammies is a good thing and she doesn't have any yet.

Did you have to carry her at all? I live in a basement apt with 8-10 stairs so I'm wondering about the logistics of getting those 75 lbs of fur home and in and out for potty breaks.

thank you for the positive thoughts!

No carrying was needed. Foxy actually came out of the vet's dancing because her Auntie Laura was there. :rolleyes:

We had a few hours where she was uncomforatable and some bleeding, but once I got some pain meds into her (had to convince her to eat first) she was fine. Her incision was nice and neat,about 3" with a drain in the top and the bottom and no bandage. When it gushed bloon (only once) I gently but firmly held paper towels on it and convinced little Miz Foxy she had to lie down. She can be alwfully willful when she wants her own way.

If a dog has to have a cancer, hemangiopericytoma is one I would want to see.

If you have any questions or concerns email me through my website. www.casualbling.com

Edited by foxysmom

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

My whippet Rickie had a hemangiopericytoma removed in June. Here is the thread. We had a recheck in early December and he is clear so far.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...3&hl=rickie

:yay

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Guest tampagreymom

I used http://www.nonudehounds.com/Unitards.php. The unitard has long legs to cover the incision and it was lightweight material which worked great for us since I am in Florida. I explained to her what I needed it for and she shipped it really fast. There are several other websites that have 4-legged jammies. You might look under "Merchandise" on this website. I did not have to carry Jade at all. I live in a one-story condo with no stairs. She managed to get out for her potty breaks with no problems-I just kept them really short-time enough to do her business and right back in. I did have to use a ramp to get her in and out of the car for her bandage changes and vet visits. Any other questions, please ask.

Any update on Lady?

Hope she came through the dental and lump removal OK.

Gillian, Catwalk, Pilgrim and Murphy

Gillian

Guest ladyann

HPIM0862.jpg

HPIM0856.jpg

HPIM0866.jpg

THank you for all the postive thoughts and messages... Lady is back from surgery and we're waiting to see if the vet got all the tumor. SHe is doing very welll - eating, sleeping and walking up and down those stairs like she always did! :rolleyes:

She's got new jammies --- big THANK YOU to www.nonudehounds.com for making and shipping them in 2 days! ALso got a BITE NOT collar which hopefully will work better than the e-collar from the vets.

Keeping our digits crossed..

Edited by ladyann

You have our crossed digits too.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Guest tampagreymom

So glad Lady is doing so well! She is a beauty! And I am happy "nonudehounds" worked out as well for you as she did for me! I see the bandaging is similar to what my Jade had and it kept slipping down as she walked until they rigged a "harness" type up across her neck and around to hold it up. It is hard to explain but I could post a photo if you would like. Keeping our digits crossed as well for clean margins.

So glad Lady came through the dental and surgery so well. Hoping for clear margins.

Doesn't she look sweet in that unitard? That and the Bite-Not should do it. Pilgrim endorses the Bite-Not. So much nicer than an e-collar.

Please keep us updated on the path results. We are thinking of you.

Gillian, Catwalk, Pilgrim and Murphy

Gillian

Guest ladyann
I see the bandaging is similar to what my Jade had and it kept slipping down as she walked until they rigged a "harness" type up across her neck and around to hold it up. It is hard to explain but I could post a photo if you would like. Keeping our digits crossed as well for clean margins.

If you wouldn't mind posting the photo - that would be great. You are right - the bandage does keep slipping down around her ankles. How long did Jade have to wear it?

Guest tampagreymom
If you wouldn't mind posting the photo - that would be great. You are right - the bandage does keep slipping down around her ankles. How long did Jade have to wear it?

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

I hope these help. I can't really remember how long she had to wear them-she had several bandage changes. And initially she had stitches which popped and then got staples-maybe a month total.

Guest ladyann

quote name='Greytlady94' date='Jan 9 2008, 11:36 AM' post='3147774']

There is a product called Facilitator that really helps speed the granulation and healing. You could ask the vet about it. I used it on Molly's leg. With no extra skin there was a pretty good size open wound that needed to heal and the Facilitator really helped, you could see the granulation improve daily.

I got some Facilitator from amazon.com today and I will try it.. thank you so much for the recommendation!

I also got a ramp which was another greyt suggestion :thumbs-up

Bandages are off and the stitches come out in another week. I was prepared for the extent of the wound which looks like it is healing just fine .Still waiting for the results but Lady is back to doing zoomies in the snow which is a very good thing!

Edited by ladyann