Diarrhea With Straining

Guest ss556

Alan has had soft poop before of course, but today when I took him out he made a few times and each time he stayed in "that" position and was straining. Then DH took him out and he said the same thing. I gave him an immodium earlier. He's had soft poop for a week, can't figure out what's different or why. What's up w/ the straining? The weather here is SOO BAD - icey and he doesn't want to go out the back door:(

Guest EmilyAnne

I think Immodium only treats the symptom and not what actually causes the diarhea so maybe that is why he is straining? I am totally just guessing. I know you will get some better more educated responses.

Guest Tenderhearts

Well, I know here if someone gets the big D, it's not uncommon for them to continue posturing. I think about what it's like when I've had the flu, and 'think' I'm done in the bathroom, but still have the urge.

I agree with EmilyAnne. I wouldn't give the immodium until I knew what it was that was causing it, especially if it's more than a one day event.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

He didn't seem to be uncomfortable, but I don't know for sure. I'm just puzzled about the straining since he never did that before. Dh will be taking him out soon, we'll see how he is. I guess if it continues, I'll have to call the vet. What stinks is that we work tomorrow.

OK, no more immodium and I guess tenderhearts is right - you think you're done...

Guest Forgreys

My girl gets dirrahea (misspelled) frequently. It gets so bad that it is just brown bloody liquid with an awful oder. But I found out what gets rid of it and how not to have it come back. You must cook ground beef and white rice and mix 50 percent of this with his dry food. Drain the beef from the fat. I also gave Bella Pepto Bismol ( two vets and several long time dog owners attested to it). It worked beautifully. Give two of the little cups per day for two to three days. All the while giving him the white rice and beef. Please Please let me know you got this message and the update!!!!

Luana

I think a vet visit is in order--do I think it's an emergency?--No, but, with Alan having a history of soft stool/diarrhea it's worth looking into. He could have a number of things going on--intestinal parasites, IBD, giardia, food intolerance etc--guess you get my point. In the mean time I would withhold food for 12 hours then try to feed small frequent meals of a bland diet. :P

Guest Forgreys

Oh, I wish I could take him to the vet for you. I would be more than happy to do that. If you do give him any food, the cooked white rice is a binder to his system. VERY GOOD. Water is good for flushing. I tried to e-mail you and got an error message from the forum.

Back from the park with DH. Said he was fine, no Diarrhea! Yeah for now, we'll see what tonight brings. But he did come back spunky and started playing in the computer room with his favorite stuffy from his SS here. So far, so good.

Prob just an upset tummy. Glad to hear.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

well no more of the big D as of yet and it's noon here, just sent DH home to check on Alan. He had bad gas during the night - unfortunately I wasn't sleeping well and got to share the aroma! I'll see how he is in, let's see, 4 hours.

Hope Alan is doing well this morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you, yes Alan is doing better. He didn't poop at all yesterday, gave him mostly white rice and some chicken. His stomach makes such loud noises during the night. He seems ok. The only thing I could think of regarding the start of the soft poop and then diarrhea is that I got a different brand of low sodium chicken broth that I add to his food. Maybe? who knows, as long as he is ok or it would have been off to the vet today!

I'm glad to hear that Alan is doing much better. :thumbs-up

The other general idea to keep in mind in the future is that when diarrhea is present it could actually mean a pup is constipated or impacted. I know it sounds contradictory but think about a hard piece of stool partially blocking the intestine. Only liquid can get around it so you get diarrhea.

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

well kelseymom, I am keeping that thought. This afternoon he had very soft poop again. I would think if he has a partial blockage that he would be in some discomfort. I can't say that Alan is showing "signs" like that. I did speak to my vet, I told him what I was doing, feeding, etc. Said if it continues, call and they will see Alan. After I spoke to the vet I remembered that Alan has been choking sometimes after he eats or drinks food. I figured it was become he's a fast eater/drinker, but now I don't know. And I'm posting another question here & now (since I can't sleep).

• 2 weeks later...