Pumpkin

I switched the girls to Natural Balance Ultra Premium. Since I have heard varying opinions on switching quickly vs. a gradual change, this time I pretty much switched cold turkey. They got the big D. Yesterday I added some pumpkin to their meals, and I am happy to say that things are firming up quite nicely. I bought the pumpkin at BJs and could only get a 3 pack of large cans. (I figure I will attempt to make some pumpkin bread).

I don't like to waste food. How long can I give them the pumpkin? Will it cause constipation?

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

I give George some pumpkin almost every day. He likes it. It's just some additional fiber--which oddly, firms the stool (I always thought fiber makes you poop!). I can't imagine how it would cause constipation!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest ProudGreyMom

I give a little bit to the boys a few times a week. They like it and its good for them anyway. If they have a problem with D, I increase the amount and frequency.

we give a spoonful each day with one meal (and plain yogurt with the other). Just make sure it's the plain 100% pure pumpkin, not the "pie" pumpkin (added sugar). :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

we give a spoonful each day with one meal (and plain yogurt with the other). Just make sure it's the plain 100% pure pumpkin, not the "pie" pumpkin (added sugar). :)

Thanks for mentioning that. I just checked the label. It's Libby's 100% pure pumpkin. Ingredient: Pumpkin. But it IS pie pumpkin too. There is a recipe on the back of the can!

Next question: How long does pumpkin keep? I have put it in a gladware container with a lid. How long will it keep and how will I know if I shouldn't use it?

Edited by mimosasmom

Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

I keep mine in the fridge after opening it and usually use it all before finished. But when I don't, and it starts to grow green stuff on it, I throw it out! ;)

Mine usually get a dollop at dinnertime every day.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Hobbes gets a spoonful of pumpkin mixed in twice a day and our vet was amazed that it was the only thing that seemed to help him when the anti-diarrhea medication only made him worse. It has been a great replacement for medication for his diarrhea problems. (and I wouldn't have know about it without seeing it here on GreyTalk!) :)

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest neworleansmama

When I used pumpkin, I froze a spoonful in each cube of an ice cube tray and just popped one out to feed them. They loved it cold and icy and I didn't have to worry about green fuzzies.

The unopened cans will keep for a long time and I do the same as NewOrleansMama with the opened can - I freeze it in ice cube trays. Once it's frozen, I transfer it to a big ziplock bag so I have the ice cube tray back. Then you can either give them a frozen pumpkin icicle, or put it on a little plate on the counter to thaw first.

The key with getting pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling is that the pre-made filling will already have spices and such in it. The kind you have (100% pumpkin) sounds like it doesn't have anything added to it, though of course you could make pie with it by adding the spices on your own.

And here is a pumpkin recipe for you :D

Chocolate Pumpkin Bread

3 1/2 cups of sugar (I think I use less...)

1 1/4 cups of veg oil

3 eggs

1 can (29oz) solid pack pumpkin

3 squares 1oz each of unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

3 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp ground cloves

1/2 tsp nutmeg

2 cups of semi sweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl mix sugar and oil mix well, add eggs, stir in the pumpkin chocolate and vanilla. Mix well. Combine the dry ingredients; stir in to pumpkin mixture until just blended . Stir in chips . transfer to 3 greased loaf pans . Bake @350 for about 50-60 mins let sit 10 mins before transferring to a wire wrack , wrap extra loaves and freeze up to 3 months , Makes 3 loaves or 10 mini loaves

ENJOY

Ola, that pumpkin recipe sounds so tempting. I copied the directions and will definiely try it.! Thanks so much for posting this.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest FordRacingRon

Leai got pumpkin eveyday for at least a year. You'll know when its not good anymore too,,it will really smell metally (if thats a word). We bought her some home made pumpkin and nut cookies at a greyhound event a few months ago and i don't know whats in the cookies but it has made her perfect so she no longer gets the cheap canned pumpkin but rather the more expensive cookies (sounds right ,,huh?).

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I have been giving my dogs canned pumpkin every night with their dinner for 4 years. As far as I'm concerned you can give it as long as you like. I give it as a filler and feed less kibble that way.

Guest crazy4greys

Thanks for mentioning that. I just checked the label. It's Libby's 100% pure pumpkin. Ingredient: Pumpkin. But it IS pie pumpkin too. There is a recipe on the back of the can!

Next question: How long does pumpkin keep? I have put it in a gladware container with a lid. How long will it keep and how will I know if I shouldn't use it?

That's the right one. I give a spoonful every dinner. I go through a can a week.

It should go onsale soon now that Thanksgiving is around the corner. I usually get 10 for $10

That's the right one. I give a spoonful every dinner. I go through a can a week.

It should go onsale soon now that Thanksgiving is around the corner. I usually get 10 for $10

My girls are now pumpkin fiends! What size can do you usually get for the sale price? I paid $4.29 for a 3 pack of 29 oz cans at BJs.

Guest Zeushounds

If you are really adventurous(and tis the season), check out www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org. You can get instructions on cooking fresh pumpkin and some pumpkin recipes! I like to stock up at the end of the season when the farms & stores mark them down to get rid of them. With three greys I freeze it in small containers and take it out as needed. I like the ice cube tray idea though!

Guest Chasebaby

I have small tupperware containers that fit a weeks worth of pumpkin. I divide a large can into these containers and freeze it and take a new one out as needed.

Here is a recipe that I got from GT that my dogs absolutely love!! Just make sure to freeze the extra and refrigerate the rest because they will get moldy if you don't.

Newf Breakfast Bars

Contributed by Martha Taylor-Young, RNC, Dragon Rest Newfoundlands

I love this recipe because it makes a lot & it's so easy, you just throw everything

into the bowl, mix & pat onto 2 greased cookie sheets, no rolling or cookie cutters.

* 12 c. oatmeal

* 4 c. whole wheat flour

* >8 eggs

* 3/4 c. oil

* 2/3 c. honey

* 1/2 c. molasses

* 2 c. milk

* 1 large can solid pack pumpkin (optional)

* 3 to 4 mashed bananas (optional)

Preheat oven to 325. Grease 2 cookie sheets

Dump everything into a VERY large bowl. Mix this whole mess together

(I use my hands, AFTER I take my rings off, another story),

pat onto greased cookie sheets & bake at 325 for 1 hour.

After 1 hour turn oven off, crack oven door & allow cookies to cool in oven.

Break into whatever size you want (mine like LARGE).