Ate A Candle

Guest SusanP

Spinner just ate an orange candle originally destined for use in a jack o lantern. He spit out the little metal part from the bottom. How dangerous is the rest of it?

sigh :huh

Oh dear--I can't remember if it was a taller ( 4") thin one or a votive. There were several sitting there of both sizes. I'm such a dope--I should have KNOWN he'd do this. I don't see a wick lying around....

Flashy ate a VERY large candle. He kept getting into the pinecombs on the fireplace hearth so I threw them away but left a huge pinecomb candle and I'll be darned if he didn't eat that! :rolleyes: Called Dr. Beth and she told me to watch him...he did have some diarrhea the next day first morning but he was fine. He ate the wick too. :rolleyes:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest MrsDooLittle

I don't have any words of wisdom but I just wanted to say I'm relieved to read it is not just my Mr. Green Jeans that eats

bizarre things!! I feel like I have an 85 pound toddler I have to watch because he seems to want to put everything in his mouth!

Cindy

I'm a chandler (candlemaker). My first question is whether it was a SCENTED candle. I think the fragrance oil would be far more dangerous than the wax or the dye. The wick could be an issue, but will probably pass naturally.

Lois

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

Guest sweetpea

We had an Irish Wolfhound when I was growing up who always got into our crayon bucket, made for very decorative poo, but she never seemed the worse for wear... but the scented oil question is a good point (no scented oils in our crayons!)

Buzzy

A taper candle is long and thin, no metal "sustainer tab" on the bottom; has to be burned in a candle holder.

A tealight is about 3/4" tall and 1.5" across, in an aluminum or plastic container; might or might not have a sustainer tab; about 1 oz. of wax.

A votive is about 2" tall, chunky, no container but intended strictly for burning only in a tight-fitting container; think of it as a container refill; should have a sustainer tab; two or three oz. of wax; votives are NOT miniature pillars.

A pillar is a tall (2" or more), usually wide, freestanding candle meant to be burned without a container or holder (though I'd recommend a plate underneath to protect your furniture from melted wax); pillars usually have sustainer tabs, but not always, especially with imports; you need to "hug" pillars as they burn to prevent wax blow-outs where the pool of melted wax goes through the outer shell and pours onto the surface below.

HTH.

Lois

Edited by AndysMom

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

Been there, done that too. Honey ate a white (long type) unscented candle. It passed without problems, but did make for some unusual desposits the next morning. I could sort of understand the first bite, but I've never figured out what possessed her to eat the whole thing.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)