Old School Vet

Guest Kitty_cat

Guest Kitty_cat

So I just got back from the vet clinic. I adopted Stewie a month ago and he's due for his last heartworm pill of the season so I thought I could go get a Rx for that and buy it online from petdrugs.ca (looks legit to me, they have a vet on staff, require a Rx etc).

So anyway, the vet REFUSED to write me a Rx for anything, he said I either buy heartworm meds at his clinic or there's nothing he can do. He also said that's it too late in the season for any heartworm pills, really? Isn't the last dose in Nov here in Montreal?

He said ALL, without any exceptions, online pharmacies are illegal in Canada. Really?? I find that hard to believe... What I wanted was Interceptor, and he said it sucks, he's sure they'll be taking it off the market. Again, REALLY? Good God, what a visit so far :eek

Now for the vaccines: the less the better in my mind, so I brought Stewie's vaccine records with me: Rabies was given in May 2005 and Nov 2006. The 2006 Rabies was Pfizer Defensor 3, which I looked up and this is considered a 3 yr vaccine, although on that vaccine certificate it says he's due again for Rabies 1 yr later, so I'm confused... The DHPP was given in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, so shouldn't he be able to go till 2009 till his next one?? Anyway, vet said no, EVERY year is necessary that those vaccines probably weren't "3 yr" vaccines... So I said, OK, lets vaccinate him, so he gives him one shot in the BACK muscle, not the leg. Aren't they supposed to give it in the leg in case of tumors and amputation?? OMG I was so glad to be outta there!

So my questions are: with Stewie's vaccination history, did he really need to be vaccinated? And what protocol do most vet's follow re: location of injection?? And have you guys ever heard of a vet that REFUSES to write Rx for internet pharmacies?? And for those in Quebec/Ontario, what's the last date your vet recommends for the heartworm pill?

Thanks!

Guest GiJenn51

Run far away... Very far, and drive as fast as you can possibly go.

Over vaccinating has caused many health problems in pets, and online pharmacies illegal in CA? Whatever.

Guest Tenderhearts

I don't know what the laws are in Canada in regards to rabies vacs. Here in Kansas, it's regulated by county. Where I live, it's mandatory every two years. One county east where Wichita is, it's every year because of a denser population.

As for the combo vac, I go every three years on that one.

My vet will write a script for heartworm meds to order online, but I believe there is a fee for writing it (7.50).

I couldn't tell you about your heartworm season there.

I live about 90 min south of Montreal and I'd give my last heartworm chewie at the beginning of November if we didn't go south for the winter. The last year or two we've ended up going to FL, so my two are going to get it all winter this year, also because it helps w other kinds of worms too that they may come in contact w at the boarding kennel, etc.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't go back to that vet. I am very cautious about over-vaccination and about know-it-alls who make pronouncements and don't seem up-to-date.

Good luck,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Regarding the injection site, my vet gave the vaccination shot on the upper side of Wally's ribcage. If you check my posts in H&M, he had a big welt come up a few hours later and was in horrible pain. A steroid shot had to be given at the E-vet.

I've never heard of vet offices being open on Sundays. Is that common in Canada or in the US?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Kitty_cat

Oh Macoduck, that sucked about Wally's trip to the vet :( I'm glad he's recovered! I hope Stewie will be Ok, I also saw no need to lift a greyhound up on the table, he's 28inches tall, can't they do a check up on the floor? I'll keep an eye out for soreness... As fort he vet being opened on Sundays, I don't know if that's common or not, haven't needed the services of a vet for many years, and now we have a dog :P

A lot of vets are skeptical about online meds...it's a bit different here in the US, but the online pharmacies sell meds that aren't manufactured in the US...some are probably fine, but some get their meds from Mexico and such-not as tightly regulated. The vet I worked for WOULD NOT give a prescription for online meds, he'd seen some animals getting medication labeled as something and it actually wasn't. As for the vaccine spot, many vaccines are given in the "hip" area or a bit higher up, especially if it is a subcutaneous injection. The ones actually in the leg are probably an intramuscular injection. Most vets here recommend heartworm prevention year round, again I'm not sure about Canada. If it really was a 3 yr rabies, no reason to vaccinate again, but if you weren't sure, maybe that's why he did it? Some states in the US require yearly rabies. Hope some of that helps, but overall if you aren't happy with the vet, try a different one. It's important for you to find one that you trust.

Get a new vet. If you had mosquitoes in late September and October you need to give heart worm in November. We did here and my pups will get their last pill - Intercepter in November. For sure your immunizations should only need to be every three years by now. Although I don't know what brand he used, find a vet that uses a three year protocol. Mine gives their shots in the back behind the neck no problem.

I don't know about on line pharmacies. I get my meds from the vet.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Kitty_cat

Ya I'm not going back. I believe where the vet injected is called a lumbar injection, most of the way down the back, just on the side of the spine and it looked intramuscular to me but my husband thinks the vet did a skin tent...

Guest GiJenn51

If he did a skin tent you should be able to tell easily. I have spoken to my vet about going by titers versus time with vaccines. She said she understood but also relayed that its about 100-180 per titer test. I really hate giving my girl something her body doesn't need. But my wallet had a bigger diagreement.

Good luck finding a new vet. I would go without the dog first and fine out how familiar they are with greyhounds. That is always my first question out of my mouth.

If the rabies had 3 in the name I believe it was a 3 year vaccine. However, different places have different rules on how long a three year vaccine is valid. Like Devon said, in Kansas it is two years. In some states in the US it is only good for one. In Texas it is good for one year but with proof of prior vaccination then the same shot is then good for 3 years. One Dallas suburb, Desoto, only recognizes rabies as good for one year when used for city tags being issued no matter how many times the dog has been vaccinated.

DHPP is murkier still. Part of my job is to call and check vaccination records for new clients. Out of the 30 or so clinics we deal with on a regular basis about five or six still insist on DHPP every year. Most consider it good for 3 years after the second round.

When I lived in Chicago it was common to get heatworm tested in mid to late late April then give the pills for 6 months giving the last one in mid to late September which should provide protection for 30-45 days after that which would take you to end of October or November. Personally I never saw a mosquito in Chicago in November so that doesn't sound too out of line for Quebec. :dunno

Macoduck -- at least 3 or four of the larger practices we deal with have Sunday hours. Nice alternative to the e-vet....

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I believe the rabies law is provincial. You would have to look it up for Quebec, but I know that in Ontario it states that you can follow the manufacturer's recommendation (i.e. a shot labelled as a 3 year is good for 3 years). However, not all vets/clinics follow this still.

As far as heartworm, I'm in Toronto and don't give the preventative because according to my vet it is not necessary in our area. I expect that in Quebec it is even more rare. I test our dogs once a year anyway, but don't give the medication. It actually doesn't prevent anything, just kills the heartworm at a certain (early) stage once they are in your dog. Also, for heartworm to be a concern, the temperature has to stay above a certain threshold for a set number of days (min 2 weeks, possibly more?) so it's not like mosquitos always mean heartworm. And I don't know about you, but down here it's already pretty cold and going to stay that way till May or so!

Guest RICHandJUDE
Regarding the injection site, my vet gave the vaccination shot on the upper side of Wally's ribcage. If you check my posts in H&M, he had a big welt come up a few hours later and was in horrible pain. A steroid shot had to be given at the E-vet.

I've never heard of vet offices being open on Sundays. Is that common in Canada or in the US?

Our vet is open from 8 till 10 Monday through Friday. He is also open on Saturdays and SUNDAYS from 10 till 4. I had a greyhound that lived to be over 15 when we had to put her down. She was on a few medications for her last two years. The vet wrote us prescriptions because we had to buy 3 or 4 per month. BUT he said that he normally won't do it. He said that if he did it for everybody, then he would have to raise his office call prices as the prescription sales are factored in. Makes sense to me.

Guest nerak254

I would be out the door as fast as I could with my pet's records. I think I would also raise this concern with your local veterinary board. At the very least he sounds nuts.

Guest Spoiledhound

I don't know about the rules in Canada. My own personal opinion about the issues is go and find another vet. One a side note my vets office is open on weekends including Sundays. That way people who work during the week can come in for routine visits and that way you don't have to go to an E-vet. I really appreciate it.

Tuffy is on advantage multi and the last dose is in october. It controls fleas, treats flea infestations, and it prevents heartworm disease. It also controls hookworm, roundworm and whipworm...

For the vaccins Tuffy is due for them next year... He arrived in June 2005 with the same vaccins as Stewie... :unsure

Please pm me witch Vet you saw! :blink:

and I believe that's true that we cant get medication from the US... never tried.. :blush

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop