Is This Just The Way Rita Is Built?

Guest taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom

Hello everyone--

I am posting a picture of Rita's stomach but it may be hard to see what I am concerned about. Rita is my very skinny greyhound and you can see lots of bones, lumps and bumps on her. I have always assumed this is just a normal part of her anatomy but recently I have thought maybe I should just make sure. What I am concerned about is there is a soft tissue lump right above the end point of her ribcage. It is hard to describe, but it goes across the lower portion of her ribcage, around where her sternum ends. I have thought that it may just be some fatty tissue (she has so little of that) or it is where muscle or tendon inserts, or something. I was just wondering if maybe I should bring her to the vet just to make sure??

Here it is--it is hard to see, I know--

IMG_0323.jpg

It is not the lower lump, that is the bottom of her ribcage, I am looking at the upper softer looking lump that goes across the midline--does that make sense??

and here are two gratuitous pictures of my beauties in their new velvet tag collars from Silk Road collars--Rita:

IMG_0324.jpg

and Taylor:

IMG_0325.jpg

Thanks everyone!!

Edited by taylorsmom

If you're looking at the rightmost lump in the picture, are you sure it isn't just the end of her sternum? Give it a feel. Joseph has a more prominent "lump" like that, but it's just him, not a lump. Not sure if I have a pic, will look.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest taylorsmom

Yes, it is definitely not the end of her sternum, that is the more prominent lump you can see just beyond this soft lump. When I feel it, it definitely does not feel like bone, it is like a fatty lump.

When in doubt.. go to the vet.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My boy has a very bumpy chest. He's got a prominent bony bump & a newly sprouted fatty lump. So we went to the vet & she did a fine needle aspirate which showed it's a lipoma (fatty cyst) & nothing to worry about. He also sprouted one on his hiney (same thing). He'll be 11 in February & these things pop up in older dogs. Hope that's all that Rita has. (Your beauties are beauties. :wub: )

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Is it the soft looking lump or the harder one at the end?

The soft lump would be a fat pad.. needed for laying on harder surfaces. Even Uber, when he was really skinny, still had that pad.

The harder one would be the end of the sternum. Icarus had one that actually pointed downward instead of upward so it stuck out like a point. Freaked me right out the first time he roached.

If it's some other lump, or something that is lopsided, then I'd be concerned and would visit the vet. :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest taylorsmom
Is it the soft looking lump or the harder one at the end?

The soft lump would be a fat pad.. needed for laying on harder surfaces. Even Uber, when he was really skinny, still had that pad.

The harder one would be the end of the sternum. Icarus had one that actually pointed downward instead of upward so it stuck out like a point. Freaked me right out the first time he roached.

If it's some other lump, or something that is lopsided, then I'd be concerned and would visit the vet. :)

It's the soft looking lump, I think the harder one at the end is the end of the sternum.

That is really helpful to know--wow, that point would have freaked me out too!!

I tend to think it is a fat pad too, now that you mention that, because it is uniform and even in size and shape and has not changed in size or shape since I first noticed it a few months ago. I think that I will still take her in to get it checked, though. Office visit= $40, peace of mind=priceless!

Guest greymom1997

My Hammer had one of those fatty cysts... It freaked me out when i first saw it... to the vet we went... turned out to be nothing, but i was told to keep an eye on it and if it grew or changed shape to bring him in....

Luckily it never did and he passed just after his 14th birthday!!

An adopter in our group found a lump on the belly near the rib cage. It was oddly square 4"x4". Turned out to be a hernia. Dog had had no physical symptoms/problems.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest taylorsmom

Okay, we have an appointment with our grey-savvy vet on Halloween! I will keep everyone posted, thanks so much for all your thoughts. It really helps to post here to find out about other possibilities, other than the ones my neurotic mind usually goes to first!!

Should I dress her up for her Halloween vet visit? I have these cute bat wings....

Guest karma98104

Can you lay both of them down and poke around compare? I tend to be really paranoid myself and see lumps that aren't there- that's why I had to get multiples of different varieties to compare :lol:lol

But if it feels fatty and not boney, sounds like a trip to the vet will be a good thing!