Help With Nail Trimming?

Guest ImAKoala

Guest ImAKoala
Well, Peteys nails are getting pretty long. I bought a nail trimmer for him, and made sure it was a large breed one that could handle his nails. Tonight I decided to try and trim Petey's nails, even though I'm scared to quick him! As soon as I put the trimmer over his nail, he yelped like I was killing him! I hadn't even put any pressure on it! The only thing I can figure is that he's afraid of the trimmer. He's pretty timid. So if it's a fear thing, I can deal with that. But I wonder what method he's used to then? How do they trim dog's nails at the track? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Maybe I should just have my vet do it, what do you think?

Guest darlene

I think a lot of people on here, myself included, find it easier to dremel our dogs nails. It's grinding the nails. Just do a search for "dremel", and you'll get lots of info. I find it very easy to do. I LOVE my dremel! :P

Note that lots of greys look like they have very, very long nails; the main rule is that they don't touch the ground when they're standing flat-footed on a hard surface. If they do, it can cause injury and pain in the long run.

So, while Petey might *look* like he needs a trim, they might be fine. OTOH, you'll almost certainly have to get them shortened up eventually, so getting them used to it can't hurt. Unfortunately (?) we've never had a dog that fussed over having their nails trimmed, so I don't have anything intelligent to add along those lines. :blush

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest chaoran22

dremel has worked wonders. my boy didn't like the pressure the trimmer put on his nails when i squeezed and i was too scared and jumpy about cutting him to really do a good job. he doesn't like the dremel either but he puts up with it and i'm much more relaxed about it because it's hard to hurt him with that, and if i do get the quick, it's a tiny nick that doesn't really hurt him much (he just twitches his foot) with one little dot of blood whereas if i cut him with a trimmer, it would really hurt (and bleed!)

My Bodie has always hated having his nails trimmed. It takes two to three of us to do his nails - one to do the nails and two to gently hold and soothe him. He shakes and hollers like he is being murdered - even when I'm not touching his feet! I thought maybe a groomer could do it easier but it took 4 people to hold him there and a lot more trauma for him, so I switched back to doing it at home.

I also started using a dremel, which works better for both of us. It takes a little longer to do the nails with a dremel, but he seems less stressed by it. One of the reasons I use it is that a vet told me when you use a dremel, you will never accidently hurt the dog. A dremel may grind back to where the nail bleeds and then you stop, but it hasn't reached the area where it feels painful. With clippers, you can unknowingly cut into a painful area by clipping too far back, particularly if the nails are black, like most of Bodie's are.

Sounds like Petey is smart enough to know how to convince you not to trim his nails!

To me, nail trimming is not for the faint of heart, and it sounds like you're a bit scared to do it, and it would probably be easier for all if you just inquired at your vet's office if they offer what my vet calls "tech appointments." For $15 a vet tech will clip the nails in about 2 seconds while you sit back and relax! Then Petey just thinks the tech is evil, but not his momma!

I'm sure at the track they just clipped them despite Petey's protests--

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I too use a dremel rather than the clippers. My boys have black nails which made clipping difficult for me (or at least my comfort level). I agree that you may want to have your vet or a groomer clip Petey's nails at least the first time or two so you can watch. I think if you feel uneasy about clipping, your hound will sense that and not want to be cooperative.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest FullMetalFrank

My dog also tolerates the dremel better than the clippers, although he hates both. I think the clippers give the sensation of squeezing the nail, which frightens him. The clippers are faster and sometimes I'll sneak in and clip a couple of nails before he gets wise to what I'm doing, but generally we use the dremel.

I use my local dog groomer - she charges $5.00 to trim all around, then she dremmels the nails smooth & expresses anal glands (if needed).

I have a bad habit of quick-ing on black nails, so I'd much rather leave this to a pro to do.

I can trim horses hoofs like a pro though ... LOL. Give me nippers and a rasp any day!

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

I take off just a tiny bit of each nail, then go back every three or four days and take off a bit more - until I get the nails the length they need to be.

Guest Siriusly

Artemis hates having her nails trimmed and will yank her paw back mid-clip if we aren't careful. And she gets aggressive. The muzzle has saved me many times from teeth to the head. Although she is getting better about that. One thing we do if she is really not wanting us to do it is pick her up. For her front paws my husband will just reach under her chest and lift her front legs off the ground and I'll swoop in and clip away. For her back legs he'll pick her all the way up and again I clip as fast as I can. I'm not sure if this would work for everyone, though, because Arty really freezes in place when she is even barely lifted up. The nice thing is that when we put her down she acts like nothing happened at all. Whereas she walks around giving us the stink eye if I just do it while she is laying down. :lol

I take off just a tiny bit of each nail, then go back every three or four days and take off a bit more - until I get the nails the length they need to be.

I LOVE your signature pic!! :wub: :wub:

Oh ya....as far as nail trimming... :P ...some dogs really don't like it. Koda is really good about it. I can do it with her laying down but then it makes a big ol' mess I have to clean up so I usually do it outside with her standing. I do it like trimming a horse's hoof (both of us facing opposite directions and just lifting her paw off of the ground). She just stands there quietly and rarely tries to pull her paw away. Her nails are all black so it can be challenging at times. But the trick is to have good heavy duty clippers and sharp ones at that. Then...take a little off at a time. Angle the clippers so you take a bit off of the left edge....then the right edge....then the top edge....then the left edge again....etc. This way you only slowly creep towards the quick and can see it when you are getting close. It appears as a small circle and there is a colour change....Koda has a grey ring that shows up when I am close to the quick. If you do accidentally nick too close, it won't be that bad because you are only taking a tiny shaving at a time. I also give Koda a treat after each paw. :)

As far as your pup not liking it...I would suggest a lot of rewards while doing it. Make it a positive experience for him. They can/do feel the pinch sometimes even if you haven't hit the quick. Koda gets a little freaked out sometimes when this happens...can't blame her since I am sure it is painful when you do get too close. And those puppers have a good memory! ;) So you can either make it something you do at the groomers or vet....or you can attempt to acclimatize him to you doing it. It may take time since he sounds like a drama queen and likely has had a bad experience. May help to have someone hold him and muzzling is always a good idea at first cuz some of them lash out without much of a warning.

I would also maybe start off with a paw a day so that you don't push his buttons too much and keep the stress to a minimum.