Swollen Lymph Nodes

Guest orchidman

Guest TriciasZoo

Ok, I'm in a panic. Peatie has HUGE lymph nodes, it seems, right under his jaw, on his neck. :( HELP?!?! He's acting normal, playing, eating, etc. I'm really scared guys.

Breath! Make an apointment to get it checked.

Take a picture and post it so we can see what you mean.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest greymommy

Hopefully nothing to panic about, but do have the vet check them out. According to my vet, both old and new, the lymph nodes here can be rather large to begin with, in their normal state. I have been suspicious of those exact ones a few times, and each time after forcing the vet to examine them....they were fine :rolleyes:

I hope that Peatie's are ok :goodluck

We are sending our prayers...Lacers says it is going to be ok...we just know it. Can you take a picture? :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest TriciasZoo

Thank you guys!!! :) Sorry to panic. It's just the first "illness" I've faced with my greys, other than the big D. You're right, I immediately jump to the C word and skip all the "small" things that cause swollen glands, in humans and pets. Thank you so much everyone.

:wubsite

Guest greybookends

I just went through this with Sheana . It was not malignant but tick related, a month of doxy and she's back to normal. I completely understand the panic. A vet visit is needed. I sure hope it is something simple.

:hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Guest TriciasZoo

Adrian is off to the vet with Peatie. I have to stay here, because I'm expecting people to pick up my first ferret cage I sold on Craigslist, and waiting to hear from the rescue about when I can go get my foster ferrets. It's probably best I stay here anyway, I'll only be anxious and worried and Peatie will sense that. There's a vet just about half a mile away, and he's going there.

Hoping it's "just" an infection of some sort, I just noticed he has swollen glands further down his neck too, below the collar. Given that the swelling is bi-lateral makes me think infection, rather than C. Both sides are exactly alike. Please send good thoughts. The phone is next to me, and I'll post as soon as I know anything.

:hope

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest TriciasZoo

OK, both vets, that I would try, are closed. Only option is E-Vet, which means expensive. Now if you guys think I should go that route, I will. I will do anything for my boy. Do you think he needs e-vet, or just schedule a regular appt?

I'm thinking C less and less since the swelling is identical bi-laterally. He's eating VERY well, running, playing, no signs of not feeling well at all, except the swelling.

Edited by TriciasZoo

Since Peatie is "eating VERY well, running, playing, no signs of not feeling well at all, except the swelling", I would think it could wait til you see your regular vet on Monday.

Had he been in any distress I'd say, go now.

An E-vet will cost the same now, tonight or Sunday so if things change, go then.

We all know how costly E-vet service can be. Never feel bad because you decide to wait. You are the one right beside Peatie and can best judge if something is off enough to be a true emergency.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

OK, both vets, that I would try, are closed. Only option is E-Vet, which means expensive. Now if you guys think I should go that route, I will. I will do anything for my boy. Do you think he needs e-vet, or just schedule a regular appt?

I'm thinking C less and less since the swelling is identical bi-laterally. He's eating VERY well, running, playing, no signs of not feeling well at all, except the swelling.

I think that most of the time that is good news...When I talked to Dr. Beth on the phone before she saw Lacers she said it was a better sign that LaceyLaine was acting normal and eating and playing and that she was symmetrical...so I think in most cases that is good...it just wasn't for us. I really feel everything is going to be fine your way...sending prayers and hugs for good measure. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Brandy has had swollen glands now for over a month. We aspirated the lump and the tests showed no cancer. Her blood work showed an infection, but we can't find where. She has had some trouble with her ears and I have scheduled a dental for Tuesday, though we don't really see anything on a quick look into her mouth. I will mention the tbd to my vet on Tuesday as I don't think we though of that. She is eating and acting fine for a 12-1/2 year old girlie; just those swollen glands.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Are the lymphnodes in his hind legs swollen? I tend not to get too nervous if both side of the neck are swollen... remember the seasons are changing which means a whole new crop of allergins are brewing!!! I had a total allergin canine in Harley my amazing mutt... then when I got Memphis after Harley died I ended up with a hound with allergies.... go figure! :lol

I always check behind the knees on the back legs... if those are swollen its straight to the vet we go!

Guest TriciasZoo
Are the lymphnodes in his hind legs swollen? I tend not to get too nervous if both side of the neck are swollen... remember the seasons are changing which means a whole new crop of allergins are brewing!!! I had a total allergin canine in Harley my amazing mutt... then when I got Memphis after Harley died I ended up with a hound with allergies.... go figure! :lol

I always check behind the knees on the back legs... if those are swollen its straight to the vet we go!

No swelling there. Heck. I didn't even know there were lymph nodes there. LOL!!

He's the same today. Eating like a horse, playing, exploring the park we just went to, etc.

Unless a dog is having trouble breathing due to the nodes swelling, I don't think swollen nodes are an e-vet situation (unless swelling is due to a snake bite or some such thing).

I'd check ears, teeth/gums, & I'd check for bites & stings. Local lymph node swelling (in just one area) usually means a localized problem such as these.

Until you can get into the vet, I would suggest trying Benedryl. I believe the dose is 1mg/lb. Since they usually come in 25 mg tabs, I'd start w 1-2 (less than a full dose), unless Peatie is a really large dog, because it can be really sedating.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest TriciasZoo
Unless a dog is having trouble breathing due to the nodes swelling, I don't think swollen nodes are an e-vet situation (unless swelling is due to a snake bite or some such thing).

I'd check ears, teeth/gums, & I'd check for bites & stings. Local lymph node swelling (in just one area) usually means a localized problem such as these.

Until you can get into the vet, I would suggest trying Benedryl. I believe the dose is 1mg/lb. Since they usually come in 25 mg tabs, I'd start w 1-2 (less than a full dose), unless Peatie is a really large dog, because it can be really sedating.

I'm going to go ahead and dose with Benedryl this evening, since my patient load today didn't allow me to get him to Dr. B, yet. Let's see if that does help. They MAY be slightly smaller, and he's still bouncy, hyper, goofy, eating like a horse, etc. I'm watching him closely for any changes. I did check his temp, and no fever.

PEE ESS: Dis is Peatie. Tanks, ebberybuddy fur helpin' my mom take gud care ob me. I don't hurt no where an I still feelz gud, just call me "Lumpy".