Liver/spleen Cancer

Guest greymom1997

Guest ddsgreys

We have a girl ( was one of our fosters, that we chipped ) that had the same problems about a week after coming off the track, we nearly lost her twice, she had blood transfusions due to the loss of blood, they finally removed her spleen and I am happy to say she is doing just fine and that was about three yrs. ago

Hang in there, between you and your Vet you will decide whats right for your baby.

As my Vet said " the spleen is overrated anyway !!! Trying to be funny..

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultrasound WITH cytology. You want the ultrasound so you can see what's in there. While the vet is ultrasounding, he/she can get a needle aspirate and send it off to cytology (analysis) if warranted.

You usually don't know what it is without the analysis (altho there are exceptions to this). At your pup's young age, could as easily be a diseased spleen that is NOT cancerous and could be removed. There is no way to tell from looking at the dog from the outside.

Can you get him in to ultrasound today? If his belly is full of blood he needs to be in surgery ASAP.

Sending prayers.

Ditto... ASAP! I am so sorry. :( Sendings prayers for your boy.

For sure! My inlaws had a senior babe with cancer in the spleen and he had surgery and lived 3 more years. Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Oh man Donna :(

Please keep us posted. If push comes to shove, zip over to Tufts. They are very familiar with greys and can do everything there.

Keeping our good thoughts for you.

Phillie needs the ultrasound and cytology right away. If it it is just the spleen he can do just fine without it. $1200 for the surgery is not bad at all. Sending prayers. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Oh no, Donna! I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I know that it must be so difficult for Mia, too. She's so intuitive and doesn't miss a trick!

You've been given lots of great advice and I have nothing to add except that we're all here for you and hope everything turns out perfectly for Phillie. Please call or write if there's anything I can do or if you want to talk. :bighug for you and a :dogcookie for Phillie and a :cookie for Mia.

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

Guest SoulsMom

:cry1:bighug What did the vet say about the ultrasound?

Oh, Phillie, you sweet goofy boy :bighug Soul has missed you on the meet and greets, and the late night sneak outs. You HAVE to get better so you can join us again.

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest JenFallon

I'm so sorry Donna. We went through the same thing with Grainne. We brought her in for an ultrasound because of slightly elevated liver counts and she ened up in surgery later that day to remove a grapefruit size tumor from her liver. That was last January, Grainne is now 12 1/2 and doing extremely well despite the fact that they didn't get clean margins during the surgery. The type of liver cancer she has is supposed to be slow growing and so far so good.

An ultrasound will at least give you a better idea of what your dealing with as far as location and size. I hope everything went well today. I'll be thinking of you :grouphug

Tapping blood from the abdomen means that the tumors have already burst. I lost my Brindle to hemangio of the spleen that had already spread to the liver by the time we found that horrid disease. Her belly started to swell, they drew off blood from it.

The U of Penn vet school did emergency surgery at 1:00 AM. When they opened her up, she was loaded with cancer. There was nothing they could do.

You have my prayers and hope for a better diagnosis.

:hope:hope It sounds like you have some great advice here. I'm praying for a good outcome for you.
Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest poopsie1

In case Donna doesn't have a chance to post, she is bringing Phillie to the vet this morning to have an xray of his lungs. The vet doesn't feel cytology or an ultrasound is the best route to go just now which I don't quite understand. She apparently feels the ultrasound will not provide a good picture nor will an xray of his abdomen. Donna will be able to explain more when she posts again. Please keep Phillie in your prayers.

Guest FrostyBottoms

Hmmm...well, I don't know anything about ultrasound's and x-rays, but if you have a gut feeling and want an ultrasound....go somewhere else.

Praying it isn't cancer....I hope Phillie isn't in too much pain.

Thanks so much for the update, Anne-Marie. I've been thinking of Donna constantly.

I wonder if there's a possibility that the chest x-ray may encompass the area of the spleen, too. Not positive and maybe a vet tech, or someone who is in the know could chime in?

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Yes, they usually can see the spleen on xray, depending on the quality of it and where they shoot it. An ultrasound would be much better though, more detailed. I'm not a vet, but I've dealt with spleen issues too in 2 greys.

Yes, they usually can see the spleen on xray, depending on the quality of it and where they shoot it. An ultrasound would be much better though, more detailed. I'm not a vet, but I've dealt with spleen issues too in 2 greys.

Thanks!!

Then it may be that Donna's vet is looking for answers with tests that are more cost effective first and if a clear cut answer can't be found on x-ray then an ultrasound may be ordered.

Guest poopsie1

I guess the vet feels the xray or ultrasound of the abdomen would not be definitive since, with all the blood in his belly, they may not be able to see much. She thinks if the lungs are involved then it obviously has metastasized from somewhere else and that would pretty much be it. If the lungs are clear, then I think her recommendation will be to do an exploratory. I suggested that Donna contact OSU or have her vet contact them for their input. Right now she's a basket case which I can very well understand. She's bringing Phillie in around 9:30 and I guess will have to leave him there for a while. She's going to call me as soon as she's able and will post when she can. Chris, I'm going to PM you at some point for some advice. Thanks,

Sending more prayers and warm white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greymom1997

Hi Everyone... I thank you all so much for your advice and prayers. I feel the love and it makes me feel better to know that I am not alone...

Good news... the heart and lungs are clear on x-ray. The next course is ultrasound or exploratory surgery. The ultrasound would be done on tuesday at a cost of $270. The exploratory would be $1100. Unfortunately, money is an issue for me... It is such a gut wrenching decision to have to make. I really don't know which way to turn right now... This all came out of nowhere and I'm still reeling... I can't catch my breath and am scared to death I may lose my sweet Phillie.....

He does seem to be more perky today. He wanted to eat last night and ate everything this morning! His belly doesn't seem to be as distended and he actually jumped up at me after his pee break. His tail all wagging like "look mommy I peed for 2 minutes... Aren't you proud of me!"

Donna

Guest greymom1997

New update for Phillie... We have the ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday (that is the earliest that it can be done by this vet)... we'll know more after that...

That seems like such a long time to wait....is there any way to find out if someone else anywhere nearby can do an ultrasound sooner. I know that I took my cat for ultrasound someplace around Salem or Beverly, MA (can't remember exactly where) a few years back and I think I was able to get an appointment right away. Does your vet think Phillie will be okay in the meantime?

Edited by Aerosmom
Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

FWIW, if it helps, many vet hospitals accept Care Credit. It's like a credit card, only it can only be used at vet's offices, dentists or doctors. They often have special promotions, i.e., no interest for a year while you pay it back, which can really help. You can apply at your vet's office or online. When I worked for the vet, it helped a lot of our clients to pay for procedures they would otherwise have been unable to afford.

Best wishes for you and Phillie. :bighug

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg