Simple Skin Tear On Our New Boy

Guest greyfiend

Guest greyfiend

Filbert had his first booboo since he's been with us. He was playing in a friend's backyard and after we got home I noticed blood on the back seat of the car. I checked him out and noticed on the inside of his back leg (about 4 inches up from the ground) was a skin tear about 3/4 inches long and appeared superficial. It had stopped bleeding by that time, so I just cleaned it up with a little warm water, polysporin and a bandaid. He licked the bandaid off in a couple of days so I left it open to the air. He doesn't lick it much, but it only takes 2 minutes of licking and it seems irritated again (it's not bleeding all over or anything). So again I put polysporin, a bandaid, wrapped with vet wrap for about 2 days and made sure he didn't fuss with it and took it all off after 2 days and just changed the bandaid. It's been a week since he originally got the skin tear and today I took him in the car and when he got out I noticed some blood on his fur around the tear. Sometime today he must have licked it again (the bandaid was off). So....do I just leave it alone to the air and if he licks it periodically that's okay? Do I put on more polysporin a bandaid and the vet wrap again? I examined it closely as I cleaned it up and it's healing nicely. I am afraid that if he licks too much he will irritate it and it won't heal.

So what to do?

As long as it isn't inflamed (infected-looking), either way. It'll take a bit longer to heal fully if he picks at it, but as long as he doesn't tear it open further, I'd probably just leave it be.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If it were me I would clean it up with some Betadine and then rinse it, dab some polysporin around the wound, put a square of non-stick gauze on it then wrap it with vet wrap. If it is oozing I would change it twice a day...if it isn't...once a day. I find Koda's tears take a little while to close up and as long as it is exposed she will lick and lick until it is a gaping oozing wound. Once it is covered she doesn't fuss with it at all. Gauze and vetwrap breathe so it will still heal just fine while being covered. This treatment may be over kill depending on the wound so it is best for you to make the decision. If it isn't oozing at all and is fully scabbed over but the pup keeps licking it open, I would consider just putting vet wrap (or a sock?) around it to keep him from licking it.

Edited by meakah

Guest greyfiend

Thank you all for your excellent advice. I now feel more prepared and know what my options are. There are a few places around here who sell the EMT gel also for future reference. I checked out the tear this morning and it's not oozing or anything, so I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks!

EMT Gel -- Lynn calls it "scab in a tube". Amazing stuff for animals and humans. Usually available at farm/feed stores. Do not bandage over it.

What I was about to say.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I just went through the same thing with George, and got the EMT gel recommendation.

I ended up making an irritation on his skin from the band-aide that bothered him much more than his cut!

Bad mommy...

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

If he keeps licking it, get some baby socks and cover the wound. If it's 4" up, you may need something a bit longer than the toddler socks.

Put the sock on, and use some 1/4" waterproof tape around the leg to hold it in place. Tape it about 1" from the top, then fold down the top of the sock so the roll covers the tape. Tape it again if they are *really* persistent about it.

A small injury can become dramatically worse thanks to the licking these guys do on their thin skin. And, as Dave Barry once noted, about the only medical care dogs know is to lick!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

If he keeps licking it, get some baby socks and cover the wound. If it's 4" up, you may need something a bit longer than the toddler socks.

Put the sock on, and use some 1/4" waterproof tape around the leg to hold it in place. Tape it about 1" from the top, then fold down the top of the sock so the roll covers the tape. Tape it again if they are *really* persistent about it.

A small injury can become dramatically worse thanks to the licking these guys do on their thin skin. And, as Dave Barry once noted, about the only medical care dogs know is to lick!

Flint is always scratching his back legs and then licking. I got a pair of toddler socks and cut to toes off one so that I can pull it up to where it needs to be. He's not too persistant so I don't even wrap over it.