Bartonella Story

Guest Matt

Just wanted to share our experience in case it can help anyone else in a similar situation. We've had Gromit for 3 1/2 years with no problems until April -- I first noticed he would become easily distracted while eating (so the other dog would sneak in the finish the bowl). As time passed his appetite grew worse, and his energy level seemed to drop. My vet first considered GI issues, but xrays and blood tests all seemed normal. We tried a new food which helped some, but before long Grom wasn't eating it either. His energy level continued to drop to the point that our 1/2 hour walks became 5 minutes long. Instead of the usual charge to the door when he heard the garage door, he'd stay in his bed, just raising his head, when I came home.

I'll spare you the tale of the neurologist who was in a big hurry to do a $1300 MRI and pronounced a blood marrow disorder due to the lab results -- he didn't know about greyhound blood values and didn't want to hear about them.....

He got weaker, slower, started limping, listless, depressed. Many tests and visits later we had a very mild positive for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I insisted on doxy; it seemed to help at first. But it wasn't long until he was as sick as before. By now it's late June. We then saw a new vet in our practice who has her own grey; she consulted with vets all over the country, and talked and emailed a lot with the immunologist at the North Carolina State lab -- which, I learned from this site and others, is pretty much the gold standard for canine vet labs and TBDs. He suggested Bartonella, and said that Gromit's symptoms, down to the initial positive response to doxy, were consistent with Bartonella. After the blood test (up to a month to wait for results!) we started azithromycin, his antibiotic of choice for Bartonella.

Results started to show almost immediately in attitude and alertness. Our walks got longer and faster again. After a setback with a bout of diarrhea, progress continued -- and after Labor Day, for the first time since late April, he did laps in the back yard again. He's back to 100% 4 1/2 months later.

The kicker to all of this is that the Bartonella test came up negative. Apparently that happens sometimes; it can be a hard disease to isolate and identify. So at this point I'm half holding my breath, waiting to see if his appetite starts to flag again -- if it does, back to the antibiotic!

What did I learn from this? 1) we know our dogs, if we think they're sick, act on it. 2) if the vet doesn't listen when you try to talk about greyhound blood etc, RUN AWAY 3) Always suspect TBDs 4) Make sure you have a vet you can count on. We don't hear as much about Bartonella (it's the cause of cat scratch fever, and has only recently been identified as a TBD) but it may be an up-and-coming illness -- like Lyme disease was 20 years ago.

for my own curiosity, is this a different disease then hemobartonella canis? hemobart is visible on the red blood cells with a manual differential (fancy for looking at a stained whole blood smear under a microscope). I think I've only seen it once in the four years I was at the lab... :unsure:

So glad to hear it was figured out! you and your hound must be so relieved! :)

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Hey Matt! Welcome to GT and thanks for sharing Grommit's story with the masses :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Hi Matt - Welcome to GT! Glad to hear Gromit continues to do well. I really do hope this is the end of the issue for you - I just can't imagine Gromit not being up for walks or laps around the yard!!!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Welcome and thank you for sharing your wonderful story. I have a very similar story, except without the happy ending. Vets treating my dog wanted to wait for positive confirmation of disease from NCSU prior to starting treatment. The wait was too long, platelets plummeted, and the poor dog bled to death. I no longer believe in conservative treatment of TBD. Treat the dog, not the labwork.

Treat the dog, not the labwork

How true! I am so sorry to hear about your friend :(

The names of the tick borne diseases have changed a little and the bartonella the op speaks of is on the rise.

I've quoted Dr. Stack's paper on erlichia many times. If anyone would like the medical info I have on greys, email me at Burpdog@msn.com

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I'm guessing you're in the UK, Matt? So glad you eventually figured it out and Gromit recovered!

Nope - Matt is one of our adopters and is here in the States.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest PetersMom

Thanks for sharing your experience - I am happy that things have turned out well.

I was recently directed to this board during an illness with our dog and the information found here was so helpful..

Good luck with Gromit! :)

Kudos to your vet for being so perseverent. I was really impressed to read that she consulted other vets. I hope Grommit continues to be his old self again.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Thank you so much for sharing Gromit's story. He is very fortunate to have such a dedicated and persistent family that got to the bottom of his illness so he could get healthy and happy again. Hope this story helps others in the future.

- No, I'm stateside -- but even us Colonials can appreciate the wit of Wallace and Gromit! Thanks for the Bartonella links, the 2nd one is scary stuff.

- Definitely kudos to the vet! She has no ego issues, consulted far and wide, listened to my gleanings from the internet (esp. this site), involved me in the decisions, and even called from her vacation at the beach with test results. She is outstanding.

- MandM, so sorry to hear your terrible account. When things kept going downhill I was afraid that's where we were heading.

This site is a terrific resource and I'm sure has made all the difference in a lot of grey's lives. Many thanks to you all who share your wisdom and experiences.

I am so glad that Gromit has had a good outcome. You are so very right...if the vet will not listen to the dog's owner, run from the office and find another vet. We know our dogs and most greyhound people really know their dogs.

I had cat scratch fever and it is a nasty disease.

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg