Bodie's Second Chemo Treatment

Guest Bodie

Bodie has been progressing very well since his last chemo treatment. He sailed right through his first chemotherapy with no side effects. He was starting to become his old self again - greeting me at the door and following me around - until several days before we were to go back to OSU, I noticed he was having some difficulty moving around - getting up and down and walking. I immediately became concerned that the cancer had spread to another leg. The scab on his nose also took a turn for the worse. He was healing nicely from his original staph infection, but after the chemo, his nose flaired up again and became raw and red. I was afraid the staph was taking hold again now that chemo is lowering his immune system.

So, with those concerns expressed to OSU, when we went out there on Friday, they started to work on him. He spent 11 hours there last Friday until he was finished. He had his dose of chemo - his white blood count is a little low, but not enough to prevent him from having his chemo. Then he was whisked off to orthopedics where he was given a complete exam of all his muscles and joints. He was fine - no pain in those areas, no new cancer. However, they discovered he had corns on all of his feet - 4 in one foot alone, poor boy! No wonder he was having difficulty walking. So his corns were hulled and he was sent on to Dermatology. Or perhaps he was sent to dermatology for the corn hulling - not sure which department did that...

Dermatology determined that his staph infection isn't spreading. Whatever initially caused him to "break-out", before the staph set in, is probably the cause of the nose problem. The difficulty is, that no one can diagnose what that is. The original symptoms on his feet resembled pemphigus - but a biopsy came back negative for that. OSU re-biopsied his limb that was removed -sent it to the country's top expert in reading biopsies. She doesn't know what it is either. After much discussion among the dermatology staff, they decided that since Bodie's feet were better, it would probably be better for him all around, at least until he is done chemo, that he not be given a steroid, such a prednizone, which would normally be their course of action in this case. So they sent home a topical steroid for his nose and we are going to meet with the dermatology department again when we return for chemo in two weeks.

Chemo seems to have been a little harder on Bodie this time. He has lost his appetite, which, for Bodie, is unheard of. The boy generally loves to eat. With the blessing of his doctors, I took him to my greyhound group's annual picnic today and he slept most of the day on his blanket. When it came time for the hound ice cream social (yogurt and peanut butter) he only nibbled at the peanut butter and left the yogurt. Again, unheard of for Bodie - who loves both.

So, I'm a little concerned and I will call OSU for advice if this goes beyond tomorrow. It's not a major setback, of course, but so many things have gone wrong for Bodie in the past year that I'm just a nervous Mom at this point.

We have all fallen in love with Bodie. You have shared him with us and we so adore him. I know he has had a rough time, which means double rough for the momma. Lots of prayers that he will get his appetite back by tomorrow or the following day and that his feet will feel better, poor thing. You guys need a break.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Your poor baby has been through SO much. Thankfully the corns could be treated and hopefully he'll be feelling stronger by tomorrow. Keeping Bodie in my prayers, and send you lots of hugs. :hope:bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I hope that Bodie will feel like eating something yummy tomorrow. :grouphug

Sending prayers and gentle ear scritches to Bodie. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest LolasMom
We have all fallen in love with Bodie. You have shared him with us and we so adore him. I know he has had a rough time, which means double rough for the momma. Lots of prayers that he will get his appetite back by tomorrow or the following day and that his feet will feel better, poor thing. You guys need a break.

Amen to that. Sending more prayers and gentle scritches.

I'm so very sorry that your poor Bodie has to go through all this...he's so sweet...I wish him the best and keep him in my thoughts...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Know that we are thinking of you and holding you in our prayers. :grouphug

LaceyLaine: Pleaz e feel bedder Bodie...eyem haffing my second chemo too on Weds. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.