Sudden Massive Shedding Issue?

cello

My friend has a 7 year old female greyhound who has suddenly developed a massive dose of shedding. She has asked me to ask the GT folks what might be contributing to this condition. Other then the sudden shedding, the dog is behaving normal. Even her ears are blowing coat. This dog has been in the same home with the same conditions for over four years now, so nothing new there. It is a quiet adult home with a very low stress load. The only change in her life is that they changed foods about a month ago. She is on a Chicken and Rice food with no corn or wheat. There was a very gradual change from one kibble to the next. Adopter is thinking about having a thyroid panel run. MSU is the place to ask that sent to is it not? Thanks in advance for any suggestions for my friend.

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

What food did she switch from to? I know years ago when I switched to Solid Gold, my guys blew coat and one girl almost went bald. One they blew out the toxins (the almost bald girl had an allergy to preservatives that I didn't know about and she did have a thyroid condition), her coat came in beautiful.

So, in answer to your question: why she is blowing coat depends. Could be good news, could be not so good news.

Aren't you glad I answered? :rolleyes::lol

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

She is coming off of a local delivery to your door kibble (Pet Pantry) and going on to Costco Super Premium Chicken and Rice. The Costco food has no preservative or additives, and no corn or wheat. This is the food that I use as my Riley is allergic to corn and wheat, and my three do greyt on it. Here is a label of the ingredients. The other greyhound is doing fine with this change.

Do you think that thyroid issues are something to consider without any behavior changes?

Carol Ann

DSC03552.jpg

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Both of my girls blew their coats when I switched to a better for them food (California Natural Lamb & Rice). I was worried cause I thought this food might not work out because of all the shedding but then FINALLY it stopped and their coats look wonderful.

I wouldn't bother with the thyroid test unless she sees something else. They can -- and many do -- have a fall shedding session prior to growing nice new fuzzy coats for winter.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Very well could be from the food change, does she give her any fish oil and vitamin D? Those will help the coat. As for the blood testing, since she is seven if your friend has not had bloodwork done on her in the past year, I would go ahead and have at least a comprehensive panel done.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

My old dog had a thyroid problem and NO disposition change whatsoever. In fact the ONLY symptom he had was his coat turned very dry and brittle. A regular blood panel should be enough to see if any further thyroid testing is warranted.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

When we put Duncan on a raw diet, he blew his coat.... and blew his coat.... and blew his coat. I did not think a greyhound could actually lose that much hair. It stopped on its own, and his hair is soft and shiny. So, yes, it could well be the change in food. However, if you are seeing any signs of a thyroid problem or if it would give you more peace of mind, I would have a panel done.