Panting, What Is Excessive?

Sugar has been panting for almost two hours now. I called the evet, they said as long as her gums were pink (they are) she was not in respiratory distress. I took her temp, It was 100.1. I don't want to rush her to the evet if she's just hot, but panting for two hours isn't right. She is 11 (will be 12 in Dec), has an enlarged heart and a IV-V murmur. I just don't know what to do.

I know you are concerned/scared. You know Sugar better than anyone else and will know best what to do.

That being said, what I would do, is wait until her regular vet is open and take her then. It doesn't sound like she is in any immediate danger since her temp is normal and her gums are pink, but it does sound like something is amiss.

Is she on prednisone/prednisolone? It is pretty notorious for causing excessive panting and increased heartrate.

Also, being newly on a raw diet can cause heavy panting early on. I don't know the reason for this, but it is often remarked upon and I experienced it with Duncan.

If she isn't on pred, and her heartrate is increased and she is panting, I would be concerned that it is a pain response.

Whatever the case, prayers are coming your way for both of you.

How is she today?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sugar has been panting for almost two hours now. I called the evet, they said as long as her gums were pink (they are) she was not in respiratory distress. I took her temp, It was 100.1. I don't want to rush her to the evet if she's just hot, but panting for two hours isn't right. She is 11 (will be 12 in Dec), has an enlarged heart and a IV-V murmur. I just don't know what to do.

Doesn't sound like overheating, but panting is often a sign of pain. Is she still panting or is she feeling better?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I would think of pain also. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Well, I don't know why I didn't think of pain response last night, that's usually my first thought! I guess because I have started to relate panting (with Sugar) to her heart condition. I noticed last night and again this morning she was wobbly in her back end, like she was trying to limp on both back legs. I took her into my regular vet this morning. She somehow threw her back out, playing with Fletcher is my guess. The x-rays didn't show any major damage, so she got a shot of pred and four more days worth of pills.

Some how I need to convince this girl that she is almost twelve, with arthritis and a bad heart, not a teen ager :rolleyes: Yes, she is a former broodie :lol

Feel better soon sweetie. What is it with these old gals? LaceyLaine is 13 going on 3. :rolleyes:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Some how I need to convince this girl that she is almost twelve, with arthritis and a bad heart, not a teen ager :rolleyes:

Oh, no, don't tell her! :lol :lol :lol

Hope she is feeling better and continues to do so. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.