My Quinnie

Guest Cara_Lea

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest caiteag

Quinn's Story

Quinn's racing name was PDQ Lee Hawkes. He was bred, raised and raced by Lois Anderson. I don't know much more than that about his racing years. As far as we know he was originally adopted out when he was about 4 years old. An older woman adopted him and unfortunately, as she aged, she became unable to properly care for him, so he bounced. This happened when he was about 7. His next home was with a woman who was a dog groomer and her husband. Quinn was the woman's dog and from all reports, she took very good care of him. Sadly, when Quinn was 9 (nearly 10) her marriage broke up. For some reason, Quinn was left with her husband who didn't really give a crap about him. In fact, he ended up dumping Quinn off with different friends for weeks at a time. At one point during this period, Quinn actually escaped from them and was on the streets for about a week. He was found and caught by a vet who contacted the wife. It's a little confusing after that.. but we know he ended up back with the husband and the wife called the adoption group asking them to go get Quinn and adopt him out to someone who would care for him properly. When the adoption reps went to get him they found him to be extremely thin (we later found out that he was 20lbs underweight), and he was living with 8 adult humans, none of whom knew when he'd been fed last.

He was brought to us that night (one week after his tenth birthday), as a foster dog. He was the most placid dog I have ever met. Wouldn't ask for food, wouldn't ask to go to the bathroom... you wouldn't have known he was in the house he was so quiet and placid. He was also terrified of people's feet, and at one point Earl (DH) was waving around a rolled up magazine (he was making a joke about something) and Quinn saw him do it (though he was across the room) and just cowered away. After a few weeks, the adoption group asked us if we'd be interested in becoming a permanent foster home for him. He was doing well with us and we were already hopelessly in love, so we immediately said yes. By this time, he had become my shadow. Where I went, Quinn went. We tried to take him places, like friend's or family's houses when we went for a visit... but he always hated the car rides and never really settled in during visits. We believe that after being dumped off with strangers so many different times at his previous home, he was afraid we might leave him somewhere.

It took about 6 months before he'd let us know he had to go to the bathroom, and it was probably 3 months after that when he first let us know we were late with his dinner... but once he knew he could communicate his desires to us and have them be met... well then he became a completely different boy. He was always calm, but after that point, I'd NEVER call him placid. He'd let us know if he wanted or needed anything.. including scritches, potty breaks or cookies. He'd teach our foster dogs who was boss the moment they walked in the house.

We learned quickly that his favourite food was bacon.. and heaven forbid we leave anything within his reach that smelled of bacon. One memorable incident involved the wrapper of a McDonald's BLT bagel wrapper. He snatched it from the garbage can, licked it as clean as he could get it and then laid there with it right at his nose so he could keep sniffing it. He also loved chocolate. :eek A couple of years ago, he ate a whole Terry's Dark Chocolate Orange!!! We were terrified... we called his vet right away and she told us what we needed to do... but Sir Quinnfield of the Cast Iron Stomach didn't even get the Big D.

While it took a couple of years, Quinn learned to love stuffies and he LOVED to play catch with them. In the last year, he had a very special stuffie.. his Lambie. Quinn and Lambie were very close and he tried to take Lambie wherever he went. We don't really have any idea what was so special about Lambie, but obviously Quinn saw something that the rest of us couldn't.

He never did adapt to going places, so we finally just let him be the homebody he wanted to be. After his last dental 2.5 years ago, he never went back to the vet's office either. His vet was such an angel for him.. any treatment he needed, she came to our house for. She came to our house Sunday morning to release him to the Bridge. She came on a Sunday on a long weekend, because she knew how horrible his passing would have been had we had to take him to some strange place to let him go. Instead his passing was peaceful and gentle. He was in the place he felt safest, with all of his people.

In the Miss Nellie auction, I won a collage done by Foxysmom... and she recently asked me for a list of words that described my boy... seeing as I could write for hours and not ever express what he meant to me... or tell all the funny, sweet stories I have to share... perhaps the best way to finish Quinn's story is to list all those words (and I'll probably add a few more)...

My beloved Quinn was

Goofy ~ Stubborn ~ Dignified ~ Strong ~ Noble ~ Silly ~ Regal ~ Proper ~ Dorky ~ Photogenic ~ Sweet ~ Gentle ~ Loyal ~ Homebody ~ Protective ~ Soulful ~ Intelligent ~ Mine

Run free, beloved boy... I will miss you always.

Edited by caiteag

What a lovely tribute - he was a very special hound. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest guinness_the_greyt

What a wonderful tribute!! :heart And what a wild ride Quinn was on from the age of 4 to 9! :eek I will always remember the kung fu ninga picture of Quinn! What a silly boy!

I'm sure he's getting all the bacon he could want at the bridge! :wub:

Thank you so much for writing about him. What a relief it must have been to him, to come home to you!

You'll be forever missed, Quinn, and forever thought of with love.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I wish that all my animals could have the passing Quinn had, in a place he loved surrounded by the people who love him. He was one special hound, and you were lucky to have had the opportunity to love him. I hope he and Lambie are having a wonderful time playing in a green field somewhere. :wub:

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest PhillyPups

Cara-Lea,

Thank you for sharing Quinn with us. He is one of the ones here that I feel I know even though I have never had the opportunity to pet his soft fur. He is with some of the best there are, and I am sure Runner is showing him where to check his p-mail and SugarBear is sniffing his butt and giving him the eye (she always loved the handsome boys).

:bighug to you

Guest MaxAndMazy

That was a beautiful tribute to Quinn Cara Lea. Thank you for sharing him with us. I'm so glad Joice could come to your home to help him to the bridge.

f_yellow I am so sorry about Quinn -- your special Quinn.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.