Lymphoma

Guest EdwynEdwyn

Guest EdwynEdwyn

Toasty, at just 4 years old, has been diagnosed with lymphoma. It seems rather far along so the prognosis is probably 2 or 3 months. :( We are just wondering what to expect from him... He's already lost weight -- will he just waste away over the next few months? Will his behavior change gradually? He's fairly normal right now, albeit lethargic. He doesn't run around anymore.

:(

113_1394.jpg

I am so sorry that Toasty is sick. I lost a 13 year old grey to lymphoma that presented on his throat. He left us too quickly.

Take lots and lots of pictures now. :grouphug

Contact to Dr Cuoto at OSU for a treatment plan.

couto1@osu.edu

greyosu@osu.edu

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Wow...so young.

I went through this with Rascal. We had good luck with chemo. What is the prognosis based on?

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Sending my many prayers. Please contact Dr. Couto. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest gonewtthewind1

We are going through the same thing with Skippy, my mom's greyhound. Skippy is only 5. Are you going to try and treat? There were several options, and we decided with the lesser chemo. This first would have been difficult for him. In that one there would have been serious heart damage, so we chose the one that was not so harsh. All of Skippy's nodes were affected. The ones on his neck were the size of golf balls. After the 1st 2 treatments they have almost disappeared!! Skippy has about 2 days where he was sick, but the rest he's been ok. He pees a lot b\c of the prednizone, and has been a bit tired, but other than those 2 days has been ok. Shelia came to our house and had to give him fluids, and then he was fine. There are several types of lymphoma, so your protocol might be different.

It rips your guts out to know that they are so young, and they are so sick. It is so unfair. Treatment was the best option for us, it may not be for your baby. I know how it feels. We were told that Skippy had a month without treeatment. We were also told that lymphoma was not painful until the end. Please feel free to send me a PM. My mother has done lots of research, and she'd be happy to share it with you. There are things with diet that will help some, so even if you do not treat you can try that to slow it a bit. There are others on here who have gone through the same thing, and they were really helpful to us. Try the Circle of Grey site. My mom has found the support there helpful.

Becky

prayers. I hope you and Toasty have many more quality time together. I would 2nd contacting OSU.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

We feel for you. We got a wonderful black boy in June 9 from Florida and he weighed 80 pounds. He is such a wonderful dog. He was diagnosed with lymphoma in July. It is high grade lymphoma, too late for chemo. He is on a large dose of Prednisone to keep him comfortable. My husband and I adopted him immediately when the biopsy results came in. We are loving him every moment and are giving him all the love and attention we can while he is with us. He dropped from 80 pounds in July to 68 pounds now. It's just a matter of time. What is worst is that he only turned three years old April 28. Every single day we get up knowing that it may be his last day. But we are here for him and will do what we can. We promised him and ourselves that we will not allow him to suffer. The minute we think that he is not feeling well, we will call our vet and they will be expecting us.

Of course, it's not fair. But we have to live with what we have and we must give him what he deserves. He doesn't know that he is dying so we won't act like he is. He is the most loving and sweet dog and it's so easy to have him with us every single minute. He spends all of his time with us and we constantly give him attention and kisses, etc. Right now, we think that he only knows us and our home.

It's going to be heart wrenching to let him go. If he suddenly miraculously recovered tomorrow, he'd be our dog forever. But we know that it is never going to happen. So we try to do what is best for him as it's what he deserves right now.

Please understand that there are people who know how you feel. Please PM me if you want.

Guest EdwynEdwyn

Thank you, everyone. We got a biopsy done last week, and received the official results over the weekend. We made the decision to place him on prednisone and not pursue chemo, knowing it would only buy us a few extra months. We believe this is the right decision for us and Toasty. He is doing so much better on the prednisone!

Thanks so much, Gonewiththewind1 and Greys4us. It really helps to hear others experiences, as sad as they are. These poor dogs are so young. But at least, as you say, they don't know that they are dying. Toasty is happy, but he seems like a 14 year old dog, not a 4 year old. He actually thinks he's hit the jackpot -- he's getting so many extra treats!

113_1366.jpg

Toasty is such a beautiful sweet boy and I hope he has many more good days with you. All he knows is the here and now and he knows he is loved. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest SoulsMom

I'm so sorry about Toasty! So young, it's so unfair :weep What were his symptoms that led to the biopsy?

I wish you many good days to come

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest twilliams

So sorry for Toasty and you. Toasty is such a handsome guy. I'm sure he is enjoying all of his special treats and the love you are giving him. Bless you for taking such good care of him.

Guest charmsmom

I've been trying to send you a Private Message desperately about Toasty for several reasons. I've dealt personally with lymphoma and chemo, and it CAN make a difference. We had a lymphoma kitty and the chemo sent it into remission and bought us FIVE extra years.

Chemo is much easier for animals to handle than people and, if your oncologist works with you to find the right meds, you can beat it!! Once your post count is up, I'll send you our whole story, and anyone else who wants it. You obviously love Toasty, and you must do what you feel is best, but I did want to share our experience with chemo.