Newlyweds & New Greyhound Parents

Guest greyfiend

Guest greyfiend

Brian & I live in Portland, Oregon and we would like to introduce ourselves and our new and first dog Filbert. We married about a year ago, and between the two of us we have 3 cats. I had yearned for a dog for a long time and admired Greyhounds from afar. However I worked all day and owned a townhouse with essentially no yard, and didn't think that would be an optimal situation for a dog. After the marriage I moved to my husband's house and quit my (very stressful) job. We have a good size fenced back yard that backs up to a large park and I see people walking their dogs daily-I just wanted to run out and hug those dogs. I started doing research on Greyhounds and went to a few local "meet & greets" sponsored by one of the local adoption groups, and felt more convinced than ever that a Greyhound would make an excellent pet. Brian & I each had a dog in the family growing up, but never had dogs as adults. He was, initially, surprised & somewhat skeptical at the idea of introducing a dog into a house full of 3 cats. So after a month or two of questions & deliberations, we decided to begin the process. After the application, phone pre-interviews, and a final home visit/inspection we were approved and the next weekend we were to meet two Greyhounds that were thought to be perfect fits for our lifestyle. We didn't care about sex or color, just that the dog be cat friendly and between the ages of about 4-8 years of age. We met both dogs and played with & walked each of them; Brian & I both independently agreed upon Filbert (former name Sarge). He arrived into our home just over 7 weeks ago and we're very happy with him. He is 5 1/2 years old and a fawn male, who raced 72 times. He lived in a foster home for about 2 months before coming home with us, where he learned about being a pet and things like stairs. At the foster home he lived with small dogs, cats and even kittens. Filbert has been a gem. He ignores the cats, knows his name, has had no toileting accidents, gets his teeth brushed daily, has his claws done with a Dremel, and has learned to ride in the car and LOVES it because we go to fun and exciting places like new parks & daddy's work where the adults drink coffee :P We even went to a class yesterday with a licensed animal massage therapist where I learned how to give massages to Filbert...will also use it on the cats and my husband! This is a great forum and enjoy all of the support and information that you generously share. My login name is "Greyfiend".

Regards

Filbert!!! How adorable! Welcome!

I had three cats when I got my Grey, and all is well (one suddenly died, so now it's just the two cats). Outside cats are fair game, but he's great with the indoor kitties.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest ellieb

I think Filbert has the good life! We need pics of him and the kitties!

I share my home with a husband, a 13 yr old daughter, my mother, two greys and three cats...plus assorted freshwater fishies.

Welcome to GT!

Ellie

Guest Moebaaviva

Greetings fellow Oregonian! Congratulations on the new addition to your family. :welcome It's lovely to hear your new boy is settling right in! :balloonparty

Guest greyfiend

Hello Again All:

So I've made an attempt at uploading a photo of Filbert and his favorite toy. I hope this works. If not, I'll keep trying.

Thanks, Greyfiend

/Users/sandrafrederiksen/Desktop/Filbert & Duck Sleeping.pdf

welcome from socal!

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Hello Again All:

So I've made an attempt at uploading a photo of Filbert and his favorite toy. I hope this works. If not, I'll keep trying.

Thanks, Greyfiend

/Users/sandrafrederiksen/Desktop/Filbert & Duck Sleeping.pdf

:welcome2

If you have an account with a photo-sharing website such as Photobucket (free, btw) you can go to that website, copy the URL (in Photobucket's case, the second line beneath the thumbnail), then come back to your post and click on the photo icon at the top of the text box. Paste your URL when you're prompted, and voila! Picture inserted.

Cuz we need :digicam of that hound. :lol

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg