Question To Gters

My 9 yr old broodmama foster spits up a lot. (three times yesterday). It's akin to baby's spitting up when they are getting burped, thus the need to always have something on your shoulder.

Thing is, because she's my foster, I don't want to take her to the vet unless really necessary since the group has to pay for it. And they are currently paying a big bill for a broken leg boy.

And with three seniors of my own, I can't afford to absorb her vet bills as well (she's already eating enough to feed 3 of my 4 girls. So my food bill has gone up)

The only thing I can think of is a mild form of megaesophagus.

Does anyone else have any ideas why she keeps spitting up? (some days she doesn't do it at all, other days it seems non-stop)

It also doesn't seem related to ingesting anything or exercise. Yesterday she did it after drinking water. However, 3 nights ago, she did it at 4 AM. She'd been asleep for hours.

Guest DoofBert

I don' t like to spend my group's money, either....and every group is faced with large bills... Adding, IMHO, If this was a hound in my care, I'd consult the vet after discussing with my group. I'd hate to think a hound is NOT getting proper vet treatment.....

Good luck.

Edited by DoofBert

She doesn't appear sick by any means. Very active, playful, runs around. Even when she spits up. No gurka-gurka. It just comes up and she's on her merry way, doing whatever it is she was doing.

So I wanted you-guys opinion first before I go start spending money. My vets never talk over the phone if you just give them symptoms. They always want to see the dog. Therefore, an automatic $50 bill.

What she spits up can be clear (if she just drank water), have a little food in it. It has not looked like pure bile (from having a too empty stomach). Sometimes it looks well digested, sometimes food particles.

Is she eating really fast?

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Edie burps up if she drinks too much at once. I try to keep her from overdoing it. When I mentioned it to my vet, she said that greyhounds were notorious for it.

Middle-of-the-night urping would worry me a bit.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Edie burps up if she drinks too much at once. I try to keep her from overdoing it. When I mentioned it to my vet, she said that greyhounds were notorious for it.

Middle-of-the-night urping would worry me a bit.

Kala does it also. Drinks to fast. Then she and Jax run and play and ***spuff*** hack up. :lol

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com