Help! Senior With Caustic Breath And Toxic Drool!

I have taken in a foster with terrible teeth. He is 9 years old and had a dental in April but one wouldn't know it. The two main back molars are intact but in pretty rough shape. I believe he was getting some kind of scheduled dental 'shot' to help the problem, but I don't believe it has helped at all. The poor pup is constantly drooling and it smells heavily of bacteria.

This is one area with greyhounds that I haven't really had to deal with because all of our pups thankfully have wonderful teeth.

What is one to do?? I feel so bad for this pup...I think he knows he has bad breath and drool. :rolleyes:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

--- Margaret Mead

user posted image

I'd have a vet look him over, probably schedule another dental if he's healthy enough for anesthesia. Some vets dentals are better than others. There's one vet (who shall remain nameless) our group uses whom I believe charges us for dentals but doesn't actually do squat. :angry: I've seen dogs come from their dentals from this place who come out looking precisely as bad as they came in. And the "dental vaccine" is still in research phase, I think...

Also, if he'll let you play with his mouth, I'd start a regimen of daily toothbrushing with enzymatic doggie toothpaste. His gums may bleed a bit at first, but be gentle and consistent, and his breath should improve significantly. Of course that's assuming it's the bad teeth causing the breath...

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest alannamac

Oh yes, definitely take him in to have his teeth seen to (by a different vet than did the first cleaning).....bad breath can also indicate other health issues...but if his teeth look gnarly still, it's probably a rip roaring case of gingivitis...the pup will thank you for the cleaning, he'll feel so much better. He'll also get a lot more lovin' from everyone he meets rather than revulsion at the toxic breath :eek And, you'll enjoy the fresher air in your home and have a whole lot less laundry to do cleaning up after his stinky drools :thumbs-up

Yep... if he's got breath that peels paint and makes your eyes water, sounds like he needs another dental. My toothless wonder puppy Kara needed a big time dental (29 teeth extracted) when I first got her as a foster. But six months later, despite routine care, she needed another dental and lost six more. By contrast, my other two have pretty good teeth. If he's uncooperative for brushing, a medicated chew like CET Hextra might work. They work well for Honey and Nadia.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Yep, take him back for a dental assessment. If he needs more work, get it done. Bacteria in the mouth from bad teeth can enter the system and cause damage to organs, like heart and kidneys. :(

Some dogs just do seem prone to mouth problems. I have one - little Jack. He had a dental before I got him, and two more shortly afterwards. He now has all his front teeth, but only one on one side at the back and four on the other. He can still chew a pig ear though! :lol

We keep his remaining teeth in as good order as we can. He's a little spooky about tooth brushing, but I do what I can. I also swab with dilute peroxide (as per the vet's instructions) - we make it about 1.5%. I use enzymatic toothpaste, I give him as many hard treats as I can to encourage him to keep the teeth as scoured as possible and I've just bought some dental rinse. I've tried it before but he was too spooky about it at the time. We've had him a year longer now so I'm trying it again. He jumped about two feet in the air each time I used it before. :P

Every so often, he needs a course of antibiotics because he gets gingivitis. The vet checks his teeth each time he sees him, but neither of us want to put him under at nearly twelve years old if we dont' have to. :(

One other thing to consider if his teeth DON'T need attention - kidney disease can make their breath smell putrid. :puke You might consider taking a urine sample in.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest greytexplorer

Can't you also give a greyhound pepcid or tums or something? That might help, too, altho just temporarily.

Yeah, he needs to go back to the vet. DO take a urine sample, or ask that they run a thorough urine profile.

Years ago I had a birddog (Sally----<swoon>) and my vet noticed that her breath was awful. Turned out she was beginning the downward spiral of kidney disease :( Her teeth were fine, however.

So you never know about bad breath. MIght be something bad, might be just needing a GOOD teeth cleaning.

Good luck, and brush those gummers!

Can't you also give a greyhound pepcid or tums or something? That might help, too, altho just temporarily.

Yeah, he needs to go back to the vet. DO take a urine sample, or ask that they run a thorough urine profile.

Years ago I had a birddog (Sally----<swoon>) and my vet noticed that her breath was awful. Turned out she was beginning the downward spiral of kidney disease :( Her teeth were fine, however.

So you never know about bad breath. MIght be something bad, might be just needing a GOOD teeth cleaning.

Good luck, and brush those gummers!

Nadia was on famotidine (active ingredient in Pepcid) for a short time when we were dealing with an appetite problem. In her case, the problem turned out to be between her ears, the little...

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Thank you so much for your fast replies! You folks are wonderful! :)

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

--- Margaret Mead

user posted image

I've heard a lot of vets who do a "dental" that doesn't include x-rays--which seem silly, particularly on a senior dog. Just because the tooth is scraped clean on the part that shows doesn't mean it's a healthy tooth!

And I was given all of my dog's medical papers, and one form showed he'd had his teeth cleaned, but another one said he had not...

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck