Rio's Er Visit

Guest michaela1123

Guest michaela1123

Yesterday I took Rio for a walk about 10:15, at 10:30 we were back and I went to the grocery store, came home 11:30 and she was excited, but seemingly fine while I put away the groceries. By 11:45 I noticed she was acting neurotic and doing something "funny" with her mouth within 2 minutes her face started welting up, followed by the rest of her body. I had her in the car and to the ER within 6 minutes. By the time we got to the ER her muzzle was nearly swolen shut (I carry an EPI and am all to familiar with this sort of reaction) but I was petrified, I had no idea what was going on, or what caused it.

She got 1 shot of benadryl and 2 shots of steroids, the first round at noon and the second at 2pm, vet said nuerologically she was fine, her airway was fine, heart rate fine. She checked out okay. She ended up guessing she got a stinger in her paw or in her mouth on the walk. When we left she was still bumpy by 7pm last night the welts had gone down but even with 50mgs of benadryl every 8 hours since the incident her mouth is still swollen. The vet said it could take 3 days for the swelling/hives to subside has anyone heard of this?

She swore at this point it was just cosmetic but my big fear is - what caused this? What kind of bee sting causes hives an hour to an hour and 15 minutes later?

Ironically other than the walk the day was absolutely normal - no additional food or treats, and no off leash time - so there's so many things I can rule out....I just don't get it and I'm petrified it will happen again. Thoughts, experiences?

Nothing specific to offer, but is it possible that what ever caused the epsiode got into the house while you when you went out? Or maybe something like a spider bite?

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I'd suspect spider bite since it happened after you returned from your walk. Usually, if they're going to react to a sting, it's within minutes of the sting occurring.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Sorry to hear about this, sounds like she'll be fine though. This is why I started carrying Benadryl on our hikes with us! Although Neyla did get stung once and didn't have a reaction, but I've never seen Zuri get stung. Better safe than sorry.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest lizmego
She swore at this point it was just cosmetic but my big fear is - what caused this? What kind of bee sting causes hives an hour to an hour and 15 minutes later?

The kind of bee sting that she's allergic to would cause this kind of reaction. A member of our adoption group has a greyhound that reacts like this, but she's not on this board.....email me and I can get you in contact with her. Her dog had the same reaction as yours did with a bee sting.

Guest michaela1123

Just spoke to ER and regular vet they said it's NOT normal for her muzzle to still be swollen up. I have to take her back in this AM> So worried.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this with fleas???

If it was a spider bite, they do occasionally stay swollen for a couple of days at the site of the bite. Had one get a bite on their leg and it stayed swollen for over a week even with steroids and antihistimines. He was very allergic.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

My son has a similar reaction to bee stings--nothing right away, but the swelling starts hours later and is at its worst at 24 hours after the sting.

I hope the vet can offer some reassurance and some guidance for any possible concerns in the future.