Shaking Head, Stress Panting

Guest figbykal

Guest figbykal

Has any one experienced the following symptoms with their greyts: Last night, it appeared just out of the blue, our 5 year old Tigger began to shake his head and then snap at the empty air (as if he ws trying to catch an insect). Then he began to literally tear through the house, panting. He kept this up for a good two hours. Panting running, shaking his head, lying down, getting up more panting. Finally I gave him some rescue remedy and that barely took the edge off. He kept trying to catch invisible insects and panting. Today he seems a little better but is still twitching his ears.

This is an inside dog. We leash walk him and his adopted sister. We did go to a greyhound event on Sunday at the kennels where he was adopted but I dusted him with a parasite powder and he was fine Sunday and Monday. This is just weird. I did look in his ears and there is no drainage or build up.

TIA :unsure

k

Worth checking the parasite powder is greyhound safe, because there are some which they don't tolerate well, but this sounds like a seizure disorder to me.

I'd get him to the vet for a check up ASAP, and in the meantime, write down everything you can remember about the incident: when it started, what he was doing, how long it lasted, how long after food, ANYTHING you can think of. It's very helpful for them to know every little detail when trying to dx seizure problems. Keep a diary in case of future episodes.

I haven't had a seizure dog, but many here have done, and I'm sure they'll weigh in with their own advice.

It could be plenty of other things as well - including a bit on, in or near an ear. Very occasionally, a dog will get something stuck down the ear canal and that causes a lot of head shaking, and in a greyhound, could well induce panic. They're such sensitive souls.

Let us know how you get on - and good luck.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

I'm glad you're going to see a vet about this. My foster boy had a few "episodes" where we weren't certain what was going on and just did a "watch". I noticed however that his ears were hot, and though no drainage or wax build up, I cleaned them. He has multiple food allergies so I went to work on addressing that issue and his ears stopped being so hot. I think his events were an allergic reaction, and once I got the allergy under control his ears weren't hot and the episodes have stopped. It has only been a little over a month now without an "event", but that is what appears to have worked for us. Check out the heat situation inside his head that could be a troublesome component triggering events - and like the others suggested, keep good notes to share with your vet. Good luck! :gh_face Carole

A friend had a cat that went nutty all of a sudden. Turns out that the cat found a blood pressure pill that an elderly person dropped. Best idea is to visit the vet and take along the container of "parasite powder". Greys cannot handle certain anti-parasite meds and you will want to know if you can continue to use the stuff you have been using, or if you have to discontinue.

Best of luck! Hugs to Tigger!

GoinGrey

:paw

My Current Signature

Guest figbykal

Thanks for all the insight. I will see if his ears are "hot" As far as the powder goes..here is a link. I have used it on my dogs before without incident. It is made by Buck Mountain Botanicals

http://www.buckmountainbotanicals.net/page...asite_dust.html

the main ingredients are neem, yarrow and a diatom flour. I dusted him from head to tail and you work in the powder with your fingers. I did not think I got any in his ears... But I can't imagine that this is what is causing his issues.

He seems better as I write this. Eating normal, drinking normal, panting normal (it is warm today) and not shaking his heas as much. I think I am going to watch closely today and tonight. If the symtpoms reoccur I am off to the vet!

Thank you for your input and I will keep you all updated.

k

Guest Tenderhearts

Keep in mind that when you look in a dog's ears, what you are seeing is only the first half of the ear canal. The canal is L-shaped. That's why the vet will pull up on a dog's ear when looking with a scope to straighten out the canal and the ear drum can be seen.

I've had dogs with ear infections that looked 'fine' that first half of the ear, but turned out to be deeper in the ear where I could not see it.

At first sight, there seems to be nothing toxic in the powder, though I'm not a chemist. I am wondering about the diatom powder though. It's from crushed diatoms, which have a very hard, bone-like 'skeletal' structure. I did a search and came up with this from the Greyhound Project website:

I was warned by many people to be very careful with this

product. Make sure you buy it at a gardening store and that it is of food grade, and not the

kind used in pools. The claim is that the crushed Diatoms are akin to tiny shards of glass

and can cause problems if inhaled, or if they get into the mucous membrane or eyes of

human or animal.

Source

So. It could be that some of the powder got into his ears, or up his nose and has been irritating his mucous membranes and/or ear linings. If that's so, he should improve as the powder gets trapped by the mucus in his nose and his ear wax, and slowly gets eliminated. I'd keep a close eye on him. Also check for eye redness, and watch for coughing. :)

Ummmm ... yarrow is an irritant. It may be "natural" etc., but it doesn't kill bugs or repel them, and it's an irritant. A rather well-known one at that.

If you are going to be in an area where you suspect pests, PLEASE use a well-tested product like Advantage or Frontline for your dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest figbykal

Thanks for the latest info. I am keeping an eye on him. Will let you all know if and when I take him to a vet. I agree that if it is the ears, in terms of infection, we need the vet look at them because as someone mentioned...it could be deep in the ear canal.

I have been using the powder mentioned for over a year. I will keep in mind the yarrow aspect of the powder. It is sold in a lot of holistic dog stores around northern IL. Oh well....

K :huh

Sounds like something in his ear....an insect, creepy-crawly or maybe a bite down there beyond where you could see. Maybe some of that ear cleaning fluid you can buy would flush it out if there is anything crawled down.

Sue from England

Guest figbykal

Today my Tigger is back to himself. Last night we did have some snapping into the air but much reduced. Today it is like nothing happened. I am keeping notes and will have a watch on him for a good while.

Thank you all for your help

k :thumbs-up

Guest figbykal

UPDATE on TIgger.

Well now I am at witts end. By July 26 Tigger was "normal" again. Today he had the same symptoms as I described above and he is refusing food and water. Needless to say he is going to the vet tomorrow. I am really worried now. I hope they find something...anything.... He does not seem to know his name either or maybe he is just so stressed that he does not answer.

I tried to do some research on tick born diseases (he has not had a tick on him that I know of in the year we have had him) but none seem to have these symptoms. I wish I could give the vet more info...

k :sad1

It think you are wise to take your hound to the vet for a thorough physical. There are so many possible causes for his symptoms. I'll mention yet another...

He may have been having a type of seizure called "fly biting". Here is a link on that topic Fly Biting .

Good luck and I hope you find an answer and a solution for Tigger.

Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest figbykal

Lucy

thank you Thank you Thank you. My gut was telling me this is something neurological. I will get Tigger a complete work up and then we will go from there. At least I have an idea of what I COULD be up against.

k :o

This surely sounds like something is going on, hope the vet will run a comprehensive blood panel and do a very thorough exam. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest figbykal

Update on Tigger:

Went to the vet yesterday. I described Tigger's episodes which I had documented. Brought her the article on Fly Biting, and some info a friend from Circle of Grey (yahoo group) has sent me. She basically dismissed it and gave me an article on compulsive behavior (this is not my regular vet, she is on vacation). That may very well be what is going on but you can't convince me just yet. With his last episode, it took him about 36 hours before he was back to the old Tigger. If it was compulsive I would think we would see his fly biting behavior a lot during the day. Right now he is with us on the sofa. Go figure. The good news is that we are doing a complete medical workup. His blood work came back normal. Now I am waiting for thyroid results from MSU. They were sent out today. Meanwhile I will watch him closely.

If the thyroid results are normal, there is more testing they can do of course. I don't remember right now what, but I will be sure to follow through.

k :gh_child

Edited by figbykal

If your regular vet isn't helful, I'd suggest asking for a neuro consult. I really do think it sounds neurological. I agree with you that if it were compulsive behaviour, it'd be likely to happen more regularly - OR you'd see a correlation with stress, maybe. :dunno

If your regular vet isn't helful, I'd suggest asking for a neuro consult. I really do think it sounds neurological. I agree with you that if it were compulsive behaviour, it'd be likely to happen more regularly - OR you'd see a correlation with stress, maybe. :dunno

I agree, FWIW. As I recall, the DVM's article on fly biting indicated that there is no consensus on exactly what causes fly biting--perhaps seizures-related and perhaps obsessive behavior. It sounds as if figuring out what is going on with your pup and how to help may take some diligence and a willingness from your vet to be open to all possibilities. If your regular vet is as rigid as the substitute, you might want to look elsewhere for veterinary advice. If you decide you want a neurological consult you can look for veterinary neurologists at this site...www.acvim.org

Don't be surprised it the labs and physical come back as as "normal and healthy". Neither OCD nor epilepsy will show up in any test or lab result. Underlying health issues that might be causing seizures will turn up in can be treated.

Good luck to you in finding answers and treatment that will help. Keep us posted and do let me know if you want any web links to seizure information--my life revolves around Piper's epilepsy :blush and I've found some great resources that I'd be glad to share.

Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest JILLBROWN

I had a dog (not a greyhound) who experienced the same symptoms. It's called Fly-snapping and it's a minor seizure problem. He was on prednizone and it worked like a charm. Google Fly-snapping - it's not a serious health problem for dogs. Good luck!

Guest greytexplorer

K,

I just googled fly-snapping (suggested by JILLBROWN) and watched a video of a dog having an episode.

Did you watch it? Is that what Tigger did?

The accompanying article did not say what kind of medicine is used for this type of seizure disorder.

How is everything today?

Guest wilsontrixie
Sounds like something in his ear....an insect, creepy-crawly or maybe a bite down there beyond where you could see. Maybe some of that ear cleaning fluid you can buy would flush it out if there is anything crawled down.

i was thinking the same thing as i was reading the posts...now it stopped, maybe the bug went to the bridge! or moved out.

I'd keep an eye out and check out that power so you know for the next time.