Thyroid Question

Guest daberle

Guest daberle

Hi,

My friend adopted a 4 yr old female retired racer from a adoption group.

She had her thyroid levels checked by Michigan State.

Please ready the written findings from the Endocrinologist. Thou the results show she is low on some levels my friend doesn't know if her dog s\b but on meds because of what was written in the findings.

Other lab test done by her vet have been negitive. IMO I think her GH should be put on meds but thought I would get more advice.

These are the results: (L= LOW) (*= Interpretive Data)

TT4 level 6L

TT3 level 1.0

FT4 level 6L

Ft3 level 2.5L

T4 Autoantibody 1

T3 Autoantibody 2

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone 13

*Thyroglobulin Autoantibody 5

Endocrinology Interp: Thyroid hormone concentrations low but there is not the elevation of thyroid stimulating hormone that occurs with most case of primary typothyroidism. The negative autoantibody results decrease the likelihood of lymphocytic thyrodiditis. These present a diagnostic dilemma. The pattern of results in this profile may reflect a metabolic response to othe non thyroidal illness and/or medication and the dog is not hypothyroid. However, Hypothyoidism remains a possiblitiy, and a small percentage of hyothyroid dogs do not have an elevation of thyroid stimulating hormone. A decision to initnate thyroid supplementation depends opn the strenght of the clincal signs of hypothyroidism and the confidence that there is no other underlying illness.

Please give your advice.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes.

Just a stab in the dark here- but aside from the comparatively low cost, there really isn't a drawback to putting a dog on synthetic thyroid, IIRC. It's not like prednisone or some other drugs which casual administration really isn't a good idea.

In other words, it would seem to be a good idea to put the dog on Soloxine ("accept no substitutes," according to Dr. Stack), and see if there is improvement.

Some feel quite strongly that Soloxine is superior to other forms of synthetic thyroid hormone; others say it makes no difference.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

For me it would depend on whether the dog was showing pretty distinct signs of being hypothyroid (as opposed to being stressed by a new home and/or other illness). If yes, I'd do a trial of meds. If not, I'd wait and maybe retest in 6 months.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

TT4 level 6L

TT3 level 1.0

FT4 level 6L

Ft3 level 2.5L

T4 Autoantibody 1

T3 Autoantibody 2

Do you have the normal ranges?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest SusanP

We're going through something similar with our Simon right now. Waiting for more bloodwork to come back, but my question is, if it isn't primary hypothyroidism, how do they find out what is causing the low readings?

What symptoms does this dog have?

You might find this article helpful. http://home.comcast.net/~greyhndz/hypothyroid.htm

I would print it out to discuss with your veterinarian. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest daberle

TT4 level 6L

TT3 level 1.0

FT4 level 6L

Ft3 level 2.5L

T4 Autoantibody 1

T3 Autoantibody 2

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

This is the REF Range that is on the results from Michigan.

TT4 (15-67)

TT3(1.0-2.5)

FT4 (8-26)

FT3(4.5-12.0)

T4 Autoantibody (0-20)

T3 " " (0-10)

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (0-37)

Thyroglobulin Autoantibody (0-35)

She has had her dog for almost a yr. Her dog is nervous and paces a lot.

She doesn't know if its worth putting her on meds even a small dose.

Would it hurt her to put her on a low dose to see what happens ,.,wait a mth to have her retested to see if the LOW levels go up.?

Thoughts on the results?

Guest britsngreys

Hi there. What does your veterinarian want to do??? If she were my dog I would put her on the soloxine brand medication twice a day at the recommended dosage for 6 weeks then retest. My hypothyroid dog JJ was unresponsive to the generic thyrozine until we switched him to soloxine brand..his appetite is much better now and his coat and temperment have improved tremendously, although his test numbers still remain on the low side every time we test him. He is an 80 lb greyhound and is currently on 0.8 mg twice per day. Hope this helps. If there is no change after six weeks...then you can call it a day or adjust the dose.

Guest daberle

Her vet say it isn't thyroidism. But the GH low in 3 areas **. I think the vet told her we can try to put her on meds if she wanted.

If you need the compete thyroid panel results see first post.

TT4 level 6L **

TT3 level 1.0

FT4 level 6L **

Ft3 level 2.5L **

T4 Autoantibody 1

T3 Autoantibody 2

You're really only talking about one low reading -- the FT4. Most sources don't put much value on T3 in determining hypothyroidism.

So, FT4 is on the low end, versus autoantibodies that don't indicate disease *and* a TSH that indicates thyroid stimulation is occurring but not overoccurring. And no low-thyroid-specific symptoms.

I'd agree with the vet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My Chloe is a hypothyroid dog with no physical signs at all. How did we know?

Her personality. She is a spook to begin with but she was just plain ole impossible without the meds.

My girlfriend has had a grey for a year and just recently noticed a white ring around her eye and also she started losing fur from her butt. I knew that the hair loss was common in hypo dogs so I asked her to have her checked and sure enough she too, is hypo.

The levels for greys are different then those of other breeds. When it's low for a grey, it's low.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest daberle

She hasn't lost any hair, She does pace a lot but has done that since she was adopted. SHe isn't nippy, not a spook.

She is 5yrs. her weight is great, she lives with another hound, most of the time its just the two adults.

My friend is questioning her vet and if she knows "greyhounds' health issues.

I don't know if she will try thyroid meds to see if the pacing stops .