Cut Wont Heal

Missy has been stitched twice for a deep cut on her foot--between her large middle pad and small inside left one. i am doing everything I can to keep it dry, etc...this has been going on a while. This (second) set of stitches are self-dissolvable. I didnt take her into the vet yesterday for another re-check. I have been going every five days and the process of getting in and out of the car is taking its toll on her shoulder (another issue). and decided to keep an eye on it for a couple more days. SO...today it appears the remaining stitches are dissolving or coming out. there is a little blood...BUT what I am worried about is it doesnt appear that the wound is closed up.??? I dont know what to do anymore. I understand it is in a tough area-I have decreased or almost eliminated her walks and she wears a boot. in the house she wears a sock and i have been putting polysporin on as well as neo-pred powder from vet. she is able to get to it, even with a e-collar (I even got a bigger one)--which has helped somewhat. She is miserable and so am I :( Has anyone used something like liquid sutures-i am sure there must be something available like this for humans?

Guest Tenderhearts

Just my two cents for what it's worth :)

I am wondering if it isn't completely closing up because it IS being kept covered in the house and moist with the ointment? :dunno

I know when Lori Ann got a cut between her toes that wasn't sutured, we soaked in epsom salts twice a day for about 5 minutes to keep infection away, patted dry with a soft towel, and it dried out and closed up fine.

That is such a difficult place to heal!

I'm concerned that it is too moist as well.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Tenderhearts is likely right, it will need air to heal. Easier said than done on the foot!

When Lou has had cuts on his foot (happens fairly often!), we only cover it if he's outside, with a dogbootie, and we just flush it with saline and colloidal silver twice daily. If he's fussing with it, a 100% cotton sock on it usually stops him.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Just my two cents for what it's worth :)

I am wondering if it isn't completely closing up because it IS being kept covered in the house and moist with the ointment? :dunno

I know when Lori Ann got a cut between her toes that wasn't sutured, we soaked in epsom salts twice a day for about 5 minutes to keep infection away, patted dry with a soft towel, and it dried out and closed up fine.

That is such a difficult place to heal!

how did you dilute the epson salt (amount water to empson salt?). i took the sock off and am watching her to discourage licking.---she is a big foot licker....I guess the neo-pred powder would be better than ointment?

You might want to look into medical grade Manuka honey, which I have read works wonders with wounds that are difficult to heal.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Epsom salts: Tells you how much on the package, I think it's either 1T per cup or 1T per pint of water.

I actually have had good luck bandaging things with either no ointment at all or with SSD. But. If you are going to bandage, the bandage must stay clean and dry. If it gets damp, you have to change it. Feet are hard places to treat. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Epsom salts: Tells you how much on the package, I think it's either 1T per cup or 1T per pint of water.

I actually have had good luck bandaging things with either no ointment at all or with SSD. But. If you are going to bandage, the bandage must stay clean and dry. If it gets damp, you have to change it. Feet are hard places to treat. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

what is SSD?

I'm not sure I quite get where the injury is- I don't think it's the pad, but it's either the webbing or the skin to the side of the pads?

We had what looked like a very bad cut on one of Coco's feet. It was in such an odd area that I had no idea if they could even stitch it. I washed out the area with about two ounces of diluted Betadine, and then padded the wound with a rectangular piece of non-stick dressing that was covered in "EMT Gel." I then wrapped the two toes with waterproof tape (the really thick stuff), just lightly enough that there would be little rubbing between the toes. I covered the foot with a kid's sock (size 4-5), and taped that on with more waterproof tape, and folded the top down so he couldn't get to the tape.

Every day, I removed and discarded the whole thing, and started over again, starting with the Betadine wash. After 4-5 days, I stopped with the toe-wrapping; if you use good waterproof tape, the "tack" strength needs to be reduced by putting the tape on some denim or other cloth, and pulling off- otherwise it's difficult to remove from the fur.

It's now a week into it; the wound closed after 24 hours, and it looks much better. I'm going to give it enough time that I'm out of socks (12 days at one sock per day), since these things tend to re-open at inopportune times.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I'm not sure I quite get where the injury is- I don't think it's the pad, but it's either the webbing or the skin to the side of the pads?

We had what looked like a very bad cut on one of Coco's feet. It was in such an odd area that I had no idea if they could even stitch it. I washed out the area with about two ounces of diluted Betadine, and then padded the wound with a rectangular piece of non-stick dressing that was covered in "EMT Gel." I then wrapped the two toes with waterproof tape (the really thick stuff), just lightly enough that there would be little rubbing between the toes. I covered the foot with a kid's sock (size 4-5), and taped that on with more waterproof tape, and folded the top down so he couldn't get to the tape.

Every day, I removed and discarded the whole thing, and started over again, starting with the Betadine wash. After 4-5 days, I stopped with the toe-wrapping; if you use good waterproof tape, the "tack" strength needs to be reduced by putting the tape on some denim or other cloth, and pulling off- otherwise it's difficult to remove from the fur.

It's now a week into it; the wound closed after 24 hours, and it looks much better. I'm going to give it enough time that I'm out of socks (12 days at one sock per day), since these things tend to re-open at inopportune times.

it is the skin to the side of the pad...the vet said he wants air to get to it now...but honestly, I am going to treat this on my own now-back and forth to the vet for really nothing. I am thinking of getting thera paws for outside. I have waterproof boots now: from petco, but I think thera paws will let air get to it while protecting the wound?

SSD = sulfasilvadene (spelling?) ointment. It's used for burns. And sometimes for other wounds. I don't use it for everything but have used it for nastier wounds. Clean wound, put a nice blob of SSD on the *bandage* where it will contact the wound, bandage it up. Next day, remove bandaging, repeat SSD/bandaging procedure. Etc. With feet you are probably going to have to change the bandage daily altho in dry weather I have gotten 2-3 days out of one bandage once the wound stops draining .... If bandage gets wet/dirty you will have to change every day (and sometimes more than once a day, alas).

After the first cleaning of the wound, I try to disturb it as little as possible. If disinfecting is needed -- or if you follow ahicks' process -- I just pour the disinfectant over and VERY gently wick dry with a little clean gauze. For disinfectant, make sure you use something very gentle, like the diluted Betadine or diluted Nolvasan -- don't use hydrogen peroxide, for example. Like ahicks, I prefer to put any ointment on the bandage rather than the wound.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LynnM

Are you talking about a split web? That's what your description sounds like. (the skin's cut/split between her toes, the length of those toes) If so, there's no need to stitch or otherwise pull the skin back together. Let it heal "as is". Keep it as clean as possible (rinse and dry a couple of times per day) and let it be. Use "Fooey" or another non-stinging bitter spray to keep her from licking. Unless you have a top-notch working Labrador, it doesn't hurt a dog to have a split web.

Lynn

Are you talking about a split web? That's what your description sounds like. (the skin's cut/split between her toes, the length of those toes) If so, there's no need to stitch or otherwise pull the skin back together. Let it heal "as is". Keep it as clean as possible (rinse and dry a couple of times per day) and let it be. Use "Fooey" or another non-stinging bitter spray to keep her from licking. Unless you have a top-notch working Labrador, it doesn't hurt a dog to have a split web.

Lynn

i dont think it is a split web...maybe i will take a picture and post it! thanks.

Sounds like a split web. It doesn't always have to actually "split" the webbing between the toes - it can be a cut that doesn't go all the way through or can be off to the side. Usually this kind of injury is the result of being stepped on by another dog (toenail) or your dog stepping on a rock or something ( the injury will more likely be from the bottom and actually split the webbing. It's very diffiicult to get stitching to hold and not really necessary. As far as treatment - Lynn is right on.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest greyttech

Just curious...why the neo-predef powder? Prednisone, which is what that is, will slow/impede wound healing. I agree with just soaking daily and try using the pure honey. The pure honey has wound healing properties to it, I've seen it in action, it really works!

Guest LynnM

The "miracle wound cure" that I use (aside from Cut Heal) is BNP ointment mixed with Insulin.... dunno why it works, but I've seen it in action enough to be a believer. I don't use it on anything that the dog could lick (petroleum jelly tastes great to dogs!), but for a bandaged or inaccessable place, it's the best!

For feet, though, they get dirty so quickly, that mild soap and water are about all I throw at it. If the wound is bad enough that it needs more, then it needs real veterinary attention (surgical debridement, bandaging, oral antibiotics).

Lynn

Guest alannamac

For what it's worth, vets also close difficult wounds with a special type of glue that works quite well. I haven't had it used on my grey, Bandit, but my vet did use it to close up the outer layer of skin on my psycho kitty after spaying.....he didn't think she'd let him near her again to remove the stitches :) It worked very well, but there was an underlayer of stitches holding the abdominal muscles closed...the glue was only for the outer skin "hide" layer. Might be something to ask about if the cut still isn't closing up.

Just curious...why the neo-predef powder? Prednisone, which is what that is, will slow/impede wound healing. I agree with just soaking daily and try using the pure honey. The pure honey has wound healing properties to it, I've seen it in action, it really works!

i am doubting everything me vets do...this is the info on neopred powder: http://www.pfizerah.com/product_overview.a...&species=CN

If it is a split web, does it continue to bleed? that is what was happening-but I wasnt doing anything for it though.

Can I spray the bitter apple directly on the wound? she is a big time licker...

Guest LynnM

Bitter apple, IIRC has either ethyl or isopropyl alcohol in it. That means it STINGS.

Fooey or Bitter Yuck are two bittering sprays that I know don't sting... there are others out there. Look for "no sting" or the like on the label and lack of ethyl or isopropyl alcohol in the ingredients.

Lynn

For what it's worth, vets also close difficult wounds with a special type of glue that works quite well. I haven't had it used on my grey, Bandit, but my vet did use it to close up the outer layer of skin on my psycho kitty after spaying.....he didn't think she'd let him near her again to remove the stitches :) It worked very well, but there was an underlayer of stitches holding the abdominal muscles closed...the glue was only for the outer skin "hide" layer. Might be something to ask about if the cut still isn't closing up.

I think i asked about that in my first post! seems like it would be so much easier.lately I am feeling my vets are looking at the dollar amount rather than well being of the dogs.

Guest VelvetEars

I swear by lavender essential oil. If you can get some, do. You can use it "neat" (undiluted) on owies - a drop'll do ya, and they don't lick it. It's antibacterial, antifungal, and antibiotic. I also use it mixed with aloe. Heals things right up. PM me if you want more info.

Can you post a picture of this wound before you get very more suggestions? They may be all good ideas but not if the wound is not what the writer is imagining it to be.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Can you post a picture of this wound before you get very more suggestions? They may be all good ideas but not if the wound is not what the writer is imagining it to be.

I have been trying to take a picture..either it is too dark or too light and you cant see the wound....

Has anyone used the "liquid" spray bandage made specifically for dogs? The two sores on the side of her foot (from bandage) keep opening up-I think when I put the boot on her foot. I thought maybe spraying this (after soaking) would help seal the cuts to avoid further bleeding??

Edited by dbullwinkel