Arthritis In Toes

Guest tigerlily

Guest tigerlily

when i got my girl she had very bad looking feet, like her knuckles(if dogs have knuckles) are swollen (and she is only 4 years old)..and she was slow getting up and getting started..i started giving her glucosamine and something called MSM and she is doing so much better..she has started doing laps around the yard at full speed, which she didnt do before, and she just seems to be feeling so much better.. my ? is there anything out there to ever make the swelling go down from her knuckles or is she going to have this arthritis the rest of her life..i want her to be as comfortable and healthy as possible..do any of you have a grey with this problem and if so what all do you do for them?

Guest longdogs

William has some arthritis in his toes, especially the paw with a toe missing, and in his knee. This year he's had problems with his hips too. It always hits him once the weather turns cold and he's had problems for the last seven years. I give him about 1500mg of liquid glucosamine per day but I've never been really sure it helps. Right now he's on a daily maintenance dose of Metacam and that makes a big difference.

Are the knuckles swollen (soft and inflamed) or just enlarged (hard, knobby)? If the latter, there is nothing you can do to shrink them -- that would be calcification and you do see it sometimes after toe injuries. If the former, might want to run by your vet and/or go over those feet millimeter by millimeter with your fingers, flashlight, magnifying glass -- looking for evidence of foreign bodies, bugs (eek!), etc. Fungus and allergies can make toes/feet appear reddish and swollen, too.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest tigerlily
Are the knuckles swollen (soft and inflamed) or just enlarged (hard, knobby)? If the latter, there is nothing you can do to shrink them -- that would be calcification and you do see it sometimes after toe injuries. If the former, might want to run by your vet and/or go over those feet millimeter by millimeter with your fingers, flashlight, magnifying glass -- looking for evidence of foreign bodies, bugs (eek!), etc. Fungus and allergies can make toes/feet appear reddish and swollen, too.

Good luck!

hers are hard and not red..i feel that it is caused from injuries..so is the calcification and arthritis 2 different things.. and can it still be treated to help the pain? going to the vet next week so i hope they can help her..she is doing so much better since the glucosamine and msm, so i am hopeful..she is just too young for this..

My greys also get Fresh Factors and Joint Health (from Springtime) every day.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

If she's got big ol' knobby knuckles, she probably had some ligament damage to those toes that then calcified. It can make a toe less flexible tho not painful, that I've ever seen, once they're healed up. Don't know that the supplements will do much for them but they won't make the condition worse. Make sure you keep those toenails good and short, especially if you do a lot of walking on hard surfaces. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.