Help Please

Hi. My friend's greyhound- Olivia- 10 years old- was bitten 2 weeks ago by a neighbor's dog. There was a severe wound on her right side that was stitched and she was given antibiotics. Around the same time Olivia started limping and showing lameness on the same side, the vets initially thought that it was due to being bitten. But that wound has healed nicely, and she was still limping and in severe pain. The x rays showed that Olivia has a herniated cervical disk. The vet said flexion is the problem. They currently have her on 20 mg of oral prednisone 2x per day, now trying to wean down to 1x per day. She received some IV Prednisone last Thursday. Olivia is skipping some of her meals- won't even eat cooked chicken. They did have her on tramadol, but that didn't work either. She is very restless at night, and having trouble moving any where. Vets said surgery is not an option.

Please, please tell me anything you know, or have tried....... my friend is at a loss....... Thanks.

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

Oh dear .. sounds as if it could have happened at the time of the bite injury. :(

You could try acupuncture - I've had some success with that with an old and arthritic dog who was limited with what meds he could take.

You could also try chiropractic, though I can't recommend it personally because we simply don't have that option for dogs over here. I've heard good things from people on the board though, and I've got good relief from it myself with a neck injury. Personally, I'd ask for recommendations from people who have used a particular veterinary chiro.

Good luck with her! It's horrible seeing them suffer. :hope

Oh, and has your friend raised her food and water bowls to a manageable level for her? They'll need to do that.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Make sure she is getting carafate (sulcrafate is the generic) for her stomach. Pred will tear it up and that is probably why she does not want to eat.

Acupuncture. What city/state is Olivia in?

Yes, she is having diarrhea, and her owner gave her Immodium AD, and another medicine to protect her stomach- forget which one- something that humans take too. I'm not familar with carafate.......

Olivia is in Georgetown, KY (right outside Lexington)

Olivia's mom is doubtful of accupuncture because she received treatments herself for a year with no results........

What about rimadyl? Or is it not strong enough?

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

Guest zippsmum

If she is on pred she needs at least the sulcrate and would probably do well with some misoprostil, another tummy meds. Pred can cause all sorts of tummy problems, including bleeding ulcers, so no vet should prescribe one without the others. The sulcrate should also be taken at LEAST one hour before any of the other meds. If she is in pain and restless the diazapam (valium), might help.

Hugs to Olivia, we just went through something similar with Zip, it was only a spinal spasam but he was on similar meds and is done now and doing great. Deffinitely see an acupucturist.....it has helped zip a ton, and look into chiro as well...just be certain that they are well aware of all the spinal issues. Good luck to you....

The x rays showed that Olivia has a herniated cervical disk.

Hmm. I don't believe that X-rays show herniated disks. One may have been taken to rule out other causes of the pain, and perhaps the vet is logically suggesting that's the cause, and is treating for that before doing more testing. Your friend may want to request a referral to a neurosurgeon to be sure of the diagnosis and then pursue treatment.

The x rays showed that Olivia has a herniated cervical disk.

Hmm. I don't believe that X-rays show herniated disks. One may have been taken to rule out other causes of the pain, and perhaps the vet is logically suggesting that's the cause, and is treating for that before doing more testing. Your friend may want to request a referral to a neurosurgeon to be sure of the diagnosis and then pursue treatment.

Don't know about dogs, but X-rays can be used to diagnose herniated disks in people.

slipped-disc200.jpg479349_FAR_0003.jpg

They shot films for me a few years back when I managed to do something to my back, and they were looking for a herniated disk.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

If herniated is the same as ruptured, then they do show up on x-rays...or at least that is what the neurologist used to help diagnose Rex's. A disc had ruptured between his shoulder blades making him lame in both fronts. Rex's had ruptured into his spinal column and was inoperable. We tried rimadyl, tramadol, metacam and deramaxx (at 150 a day). The deramaxx was the only thing that gave him any relief at all. In the end we even tried morphine which he fought terrifically.

Would certainly get to a neuro to see about a prognosis.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Don't know about dogs, but X-rays can be used to diagnose herniated disks in people.

[

The photos you linked are actually MRIs (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) which is very different from an x-ray.

If you go to the text which accompanys the linked pictures, there is discussion of the use of x-rays to rule out other issues.

Guest LolasMom

Accupuncture never worked a lick on me either. But it gave both my senior pups a new lease on life with their neck and back issues.

Well, other than acupuncture, I don't know what to recommend. There are a lot of vets in that area.

If she is already having bowel problems, I would not use rimadyl or deramaxx

CHI certified:

Jean Lamb, DVM, CVA

Midway, KY 40347, USA

Tele: (859)608-9761

Fax: (859)846-9546

Email: jeanlamb@gateway.net

Clara Fenger, DVM, PhD

Georgetown, KY 40324, USA

Tele: (859)983-0737

Email: dfenger@hotmail.com

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

If herniated is the same as ruptured, then they do show up on x-rays...or at least that is what the neurologist used to help diagnose Rex's. A disc had ruptured between his shoulder blades making him lame in both fronts. Rex's had ruptured into his spinal column and was inoperable. We tried rimadyl, tramadol, metacam and deramaxx (at 150 a day). The deramaxx was the only thing that gave him any relief at all. In the end we even tried morphine which he fought terrifically.

Would certainly get to a neuro to see about a prognosis.

I believe that "herniated" is the same as "bulging". There is a jelly-like sack between disks. When that bulges out, it presses on a nerve and PAIN!!! Sometimes when it ruptures, the pain subsides because the jelly-like stuff (medical term :lol ) is no longer pressing on a nerve. In my DD's case, however, the "stuff" settled on her nerve root and, therefore, the pain didn't end.