I had just sat down to eat dinner (around 9 PM) when I heard the GSOD from outside.

I run outside in my slippers, in the rain to find Diamond in the down position. She is outside the range of the flood lights, and she's black. So I tried to feel if I could find anything broken or any gaping holes. Nothing. I encourage her to get up. She does then immediately squats back down again. So I feel her tummy. Nothing. I told her she needs to get to the house so that I can check her over in the light.

I get her inside and find the source of the scream. Her tail is bleeding, and limp. I can see the bone through the laceration. It looks unbroken, but acts broken.

I call the vets and they said to bring her in. So at 9:30 last night, dinner unfinished, I'm holding Diamond as she is getting her tail stitched. She has a laceration on both sides. It's not broken. But right now they don't know if it will be ok. I have to watch it carefully for signs of dying.

I haven't a clue what happened. I checked the fenceline for anything that may have caught her tail. It's possible that Opal caused it, but, it seems odd that if there was a fight, just Diamonds tail got it. Maybe Diamond was laying down and Opal, who likes to dodge at Dima, stepped on it while running......hmmm, that's a thought. But there were no signs of a struggle, dog or critter fight. Just the damaged tail.

Keep my Lima Bean in your prayers that she feels better and we save the tail.

Oh goodness!

Fingers crossed that her tail heals up good as new!

Did you ever get to finish your dinner?

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Something similar happened to Jake's tail. Did the vet give you antibiotics? Jake wasn't given any, and had to have his tail amputated.

Fingers crossed Diamond heals well.

Edited by Greylover97

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest dmona

The more I read Greytalk the more weird things I learn. These puppers can really get themselves in some awful fixes.

Hope your pupper's tail heals quickly. My JoJo's tail is finally getting a little hair back from where they shaved it for his amputation for happy tail.

So sorry this happened!

Oh goodness!

Fingers crossed that her tail heals up good as new!

Did you ever get to finish your dinner?

Nope. I just put it away, sat down for a moment before going to bed.

Something similar happened to Jake's tail. Did the vet give you antibiotics? Jake wasn't given any, and had to have his tail amputated.

Yes, she has both pain pills and antibiotics. I would have given her ABs even if the vet didn't recommend them because the bone was exposed.

Had a similar incident with Beth. She was outside during the day for potty break. Came back in and was having a drink of water when I noticed blood dripping on the floor. Check feet, body...it's her tail. Looked like someone took a knife and carved a chunk out. The only thing we could come up with was that she must have hit an agave (sharp "thingies" on the edges) with her tail. It did take forever to heal since she's the type that won't leave anything alone. We finally got a Bite-Not cervical-type collar and then she finally allowed it to heal up. It healed fine but the fur there is "different". Hope Diamond heals quickly.

Guest PhillyPups
:bighug it was a situation like this with Stepper's leg that taught me not to leave them out unattended. :hope for a quick healing of her tail and an uneventful dinner tonight.

Guest KennelMom

If you have two dogs turned out together and nothing in the yard that could reasonably have caused it, my guess would be either the nails or teeth of the other dog. Sometimes injuries occur in play and the yelp of the other dog is enough to scare the the bejeezus out of the other one.

I hope she heals up quickly! :getwell

Guest savvyprchick

Awww.... prayers for your baby and for you... it's always traumatizing for us when our babies are hurting (sometimes I think it affects us more than them! :hope

Guest MtnBiker

Good luck with that. Did the vet give you antibiotic ointment and extra dressings so you can change it regularly? If not, call the vet and ask about the dressing changing schedule, and see if he can donate some supplies...

Wishing the best for the tail :)

Tails are a magnet for trouble, it seems. Cullen broke his tail when he went through the dog door in our kitchen, of all things. He'd been using it all his life but something funky happened when he went through it just one time. The break bent the tail about 3 inches from the end. He lived with it in bandages for 3 or 4 months and it healed up, thank heavens. He still has his entire lovely tail. B)

Good luck with that. Did the vet give you antibiotic ointment and extra dressings so you can change it regularly? If not, call the vet and ask about the dressing changing schedule, and see if he can donate some supplies...

Wishing the best for the tail :)

I laughed at this one. :rolleyes: You've never seen my first aid kit. It's 1.5 ft x 2 ft x .5 ft plastic container filled with every conceivable wrap, ointment and medicine. It weighs a ton. I used to work for J&J and my friends still do, so I always have them pick up gauze, elasticon, AB ointments and other first aid supplies for me.

I usually do the stitching myself, but the tail looked like a vet needed to look at it. I have the professional sutures and lanocaine (and syringes) as well.

If anything, I should donate some of my stuff to the needy! :lol

Her tail is still pretty sore today. She jumped down a little step this morning and her tail tapped it. She cried out. And on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being stoic and 10 being a cry baby........she's a 1.

I keep checking to make sure her tail is warm below the damage. I changed the bandage last night, it's looking good. No goopy oozing (how's that for a medical term? :lol ) I am a little surprised at the lack of swelling. The more I looked at it, and the more I think about it. I'm almost sure that Opal stepped on her tail. But the ice cream is working wonders. Better than chicken soup. I can see her doing this on purpose to get more ice cream.

Thanks for all the well wishs.

Mary Pat and Diamond.

Guest MtnBiker
I laughed at this one. :rolleyes: You've never seen my first aid kit. It's 1.5 ft x 2 ft x .5 ft plastic container filled with every conceivable wrap, ointment and medicine. It weighs a ton. I used to work for J&J and my friends still do, so I always have them pick up gauze, elasticon, AB ointments and other first aid supplies for me.

I usually do the stitching myself, but the tail looked like a vet needed to look at it. I have the professional sutures and lanocaine (and syringes) as well.

Her tail is still pretty sore today. She jumped down a little step this morning and her tail tapped it. She cried out. And on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being stoic and 10 being a cry baby........she's a 1.

I keep checking to make sure her tail is warm below the damage. I changed the bandage last night, it's looking good. No goopy oozing (how's that for a medical term? :lol ) I am a little surprised at the lack of swelling. The more I looked at it, and the more I think about it. I'm almost sure that Opal stepped on her tail. But the ice cream is working wonders. Better than chicken soup. I can see her doing this on purpose to get more ice cream.

Mary Pat and Diamond.

I'm jealous! I just have a trauma kit for my car... I'd love to have a suture kit for when it's needed. Even though if I were to do it on a human it wouldn't be legal, so I wouldnt :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, what do you do so that you have such a large first aid/emergency kit? Oh, and what's J&J? :)

Mary Pat and Diamond.

I'm jealous! I just have a trauma kit for my car... I'd love to have a suture kit for when it's needed. Even though if I were to do it on a human it wouldn't be legal, so I wouldnt :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, what do you do so that you have such a large first aid/emergency kit? Oh, and what's J&J? :)

J&J is Johnson and Johnson, a huge world wide pharmaceutical company. Makers of bandaids, first aid stuff, baby stuff like shampoo and baby powder, Tylenol, Neutrogena products, birth control, knee replacements,..........and more.

My kit is large only because I have 4 dogs and had two horses. And since my friends still worked at J&J, it's easier for me to stockpile the stuff when they go to the company store. Also, my dad's a human doctor, so I have access to the sutures and I worked for a vet for over a year when I tried to get into vet school. I was a medical technologist by trade before I switched to computers.