Newbie In Florida

This is the best site! I have learned a lot about what our new favorite girl from reading the comments and suggestions- plus finally convinced my husband that it might not be such a greyt idea to let the not so little miss out without a leash. Thank you!

We adopted our first greyhound, Fran, in April and were all instantly in love. We have already adopted our second, Vicky, but are waiting on her arrival the first week in July. Here is a picture of Fran the day she joined our family and Vicky in prison...

Greyhound_Hot_Foot_Fran-_2big.jpgPicture2.jpg

The best way to describe Fran is to say she is a stubborn sweetheart. She wakes us up daily with hugs and kisses. She sleeps in her bed, as long as we are not in our bed. If we are in bed, she is between us. Fran loves to ride in the car, and runs to the door as soon as she hears keys. She has never met a stranger or a person she doesn't like (can't say the same about dogs- she doesn't like the one next door). She is finally learning to play, but like most greys, she prefers to sleep. Last week I started taking her to work with me, and she loves it. My boss brings her Jack Russell, and the two became quick friends- only problem is there is so much to do, there is no time to sleep! Therefore, I can only take her every other day, so she can spend the next day recovering. I think the JR is in awe of her running ability- he sits and stares as she tears up the courtyard. Fran is a collector, to our daughter's dismay- she has taken almost every single one of the daughter's stuffed animals. She has adjusted well to our two cats, and them to her.

In the short time we have had Frannie- we have spent a weekend camping at Disney's Ft. Wilderness (she loved it!) and took a road trip to Grandma's in Georgia where she passed the most important test- the Grandma test. Grandma loved her, and she loved Grandma (and her cheese). She had trouble with the stairs, but didn't give up once she figured out that to get where WE were sleeping she would have to climb them (going down was an adventure almost every time).

That trip brought up the need for a different vehicle (that was the weekend we found out we were going to get Vicky so we were thinking two dogs) to travel with- two kids, two dogs and all our luggage. What would be the best vehicle? I think we have decided to just rent one for trips (no car payments!!) but not sure the best one to go for.

welcome from southern california! your fran has such a black face it reminds me of how black our sadie's face was when we got her over three years ago (the picture of her in my sig is how she currently looks). we've toted our three girls around in a toyota previa minivan...

Edited by MrAlexTheDog

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Welcome to GT! :wave Frannie is lovely. :wub: Please definitely keep your girlie on a leash... it's probably a requirement of your adoption contract besides. ;) If you've spent any time at all reading the gh Amber Alert section, you'll realize how deadly things can turn for our hounds, who trust us to keep them safe.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest PhillyPups

:wave hi and welcome to GT from Philly. Fran is a beautiful girl :wub:

Please keep her on leash unless in a fenced in yard or area, many photos are taken where you don't see the leash cause they are photoshopped out or are in a fenced in yard.

Again, welcome to GT and the wonderful world of Greyhounds. :)

Please keep her on leash unless in a fenced in yard or area

She is always on a leash except when I take her to work with me. We have several areas where she can run safely, and there is no way out. I have read many of the posts regarding the missing dogs, and it was relaying those stories to my husband that convinced him. He has been around dogs all his life, so he thought he knew best- he knows now that greys are nothing like other dogs.

:welcome2

Hi and welcome!! Fran is a beauty. :wub: Can't wait to see pics of Vicky when she comes home!

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

:welcome2 from North Carolina! Fran's a beauty! Looking forward to photos of your new addition.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest tampagreymom

Welcome from another Tampa greyhound fan. I think I met you at Petco recently with Fran-she is from BAGA,right? I volunteer with them at the Meet & Greets. It is wonderful to hear how much happiness she has brought you and your family!

Guest PhillyPups
Please keep her on leash unless in a fenced in yard or area

She is always on a leash except when I take her to work with me. We have several areas where she can run safely, and there is no way out. I have read many of the posts regarding the missing dogs, and it was relaying those stories to my husband that convinced him. He has been around dogs all his life, so he thought he knew best- he knows now that greys are nothing like other dogs.

Thank you, I was expressing the concern due to the statement you made about your DH. :D She looks so very very happy. :confetti

I think I met you at Petco recently with Fran-she is from BAGA,right?

Yes, she is. That was the day she picked out her new mouse toy, further proving that she is my "woof woof kitty." The group is wonderful... as are the dogs. Today was the day we were supposed to pick up Vicky at the meet and greet at Petco, but the prison kept her an extra couple of weeks for "advanced training."

Today is bringing a new adventure for Fran- introduction to a pool. Should be fun.