Buster Mil Dog

I am watching Buster for a couple of days. Buster is 15 springer mix. No arthritis, getting cataracts but can see if anything shadows. But the weird thing is he will stand and then lose his balance a bit but in his front end. Lift his front foot up and then place it down like he missed a curb or something. What the heck is that? he stinks too, like a kennel, I am taking a half day to go home and bath him and trim him up. Can't MIL smell this?

Any ideas?

Edited by Madeara
"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

If he or MIL's house has been smelly awhile, she probably doesn't notice. Could his anal glands need cleaning? Could be he just needs a nice bath, tho.

Burpdog or KennelMom would have better advice about the funky motions, could be a little spinal cord compression (happens to older dogs) or a mild vestibular condition.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He does not tilt his head so I don't think it is vestibular. I have never had a dog that showed these kind of aging signs. I believe he has the beginning of dementia too. God I hope she is patient with him too.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

If he has a really bad smell, like stale pee, it could be a neglected kidney condition. If it's just 'doggy' it could be a yeast infection somewhere (ears would be my guess with a Springer mix) or something like sebhorrhea. Bath him and see! :P

As to the weird stepping thing .. there are many possibilities. If his ears ARE bothering him, it could be that he wants to scratch at them but that's as high as he can swipe at his age. It could be vestibular, it could be a mild seizure disorder. It could be teeth. Some metabolic disorders (like kidney disease) will make a dog feel dizzy if they're not under control.

I'd ask your MIL to get him a geriatric work-up.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

It is that stale pee smell! I would not be supriized if he did have a kidney issue. I feel that MIL might not spend the $ to find out. But maybe I can convince her to at least do it to see if he is in any discomfort or pain. Granted if she isn't going to treat the issue, euthanize him. I just can't see her tending to a geriatric dog when they become very needy. A bath will happen today. I will do his ears, trim and clip.

:(

Here is Buster a few years ago, and he still looks this good, well he has gotten a bit chubby too.

click to enlarge

102651050OOMuLA_th.jpg

Diving into the ears when I get home. I am taking a half day off to work on him.

It is that stale pee smell! I would not be supriized if he did have a kidney issue. I feel that MIL might not spend the $ to find out. But maybe I can convince her to at least do it to see if he is in any discomfort or pain. Granted if she isn't going to treat the issue, euthanize him. I just can't see her tending to a geriatric dog when they become very needy. A bath will happen today. I will do his ears, trim and clip.

:(

:cry1 Can you get a sample to a vet while he's with you? Then at least you would know what you're dealing with.

He's a gorgeous dog! :wub:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest greytexplorer

Yep----just a little bit is all they need----like a tablespoon!

I have a special dish (kind of flat) that I keep just for this purpose.

Transfer the urine into a plastic ziploc bag with Buster's name on it, and you're good to go.

You are very sweet to do this for Buster. He doesn't like smelling bad.

If your vet isn't covered up with clients today, they will do all this for you (including the urine sample and test).

Poor Buster. Sweet You. :clap:f_white

your right he is getting a SPA day :)

we will do the Furminator

flush out the ears

trim the feathery feet

wash with Dawn

Baby shampoo on the head bone

conditioner

Trim the feathers on the legs

trim the tail with a sweeping curve

got the glass bottles with plastic lid from the lab

so I will drop off urine

I have just spent about 300.00 on Asia these past few days for her high albumin level tests... oh well :(

Guest greytexplorer

ok it's almost 3 in the afternoon where you are

how about an update?

buster is such a beautiful dog----he deserves the spa treatment!!!