Skin Color

Guest iggalicious

Guest iggalicious

Our second grey, Sanjay, had grayish skin when we got him. After about a year his skin started to become pinkish. :blink: His skin has recently turned back to gray again.

Does anyone have a grey like this? Is it the seasons? A new diet? More walks? Is that just the way he is? :dunno

Just wondering.

Guest chigal950

Our new grey had pale, almost white skin when we got her, on her bald thigh areas and tummy. Now 6 months later those areas are darkish almost purple 6 months later. I am not sure if it has to do with change of diet, or if it is from laying in the sun (she is not allowed out for all that long but she does like to lie out in the yard). It's not dirt because she had a bath. :lol I would be curious to see in anyone does have any comments about skin color changes.

phene's skin colour changes from light to dark purple-eggplantish every summer. i think it's fairly common.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest jettcricket
Sanjay is a :bow SUN WORSHIPPER :bow2 lately. He loves to bask in it. Maybe it's that? Just sunburned/tanned skin?

If that's what it's from I'd be careful...wouldn't let him get too much sun. They can get skin cancer just like us.

As I plan on laying out this weekend. I know....I know.... :ph34r

Sahara's skin went from light-pink to greyish-purple this summer, too. I was going to ask on here about it, so I'm glad someone else brought it up.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Yep, my red fawn girlie does it too, in fact she started in late March. Nowhere near summer. :wacko: My dark brindle boy does not do it at all, but he's pretty hirsute so it doesn't matter much anyway.

Wish I could do it - just darken up the skin for the summer, no risks or weird-colored lotions...

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest GreyFox

Thanks for posting the question iggalicious. Our Doodles' skin is darker, kind of eggplanty as others have described, under her fur on her legs and tummy. Glad to hear it sounds fairy normal. Doodles is a red fawn ... I wonder if there is a connection.

Peanut has a purply brown heiney. She's from Florida and spent a lot of time in the sun. But, greyhound's skin is pretty thin and somewhat see through. My vet and I discussed this the other day and she said what you can see is the muscle under the skin. It is the colour of a raw chicken thighs. :lol

She also suggested limitting the amount they spend laying in the sun or using sun screen.

One of the kids at my Child Care uses coconut oil as a sun screen. It provides a limitted amount of protection without chemicals. It's available in ethnic food sections it's edible. I have no idea idf dogs can eat coconut, but if they can it would be a safe alternative to commercial products.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I was so happy to read this post as I was going to start one on the same subject. My pup's brother is getting "eggplant"- colored skin and his owner and I were worried about him getting ill. Ah e even made a vet appointment to get it checked out.

I am so happy to have found this forum. There is such a wealth of information without the cattiness of some other dog breeds forums.

Thank You each and every person who make this a great site to be a part of.

Beledi

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

I think child sunscreen is safe for dogs, there is a spray kind that works well. (Dirty dog + dog hair + rub in white sunscreen = EEEEWWWW!)

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest crazy4greys

My foster boy Blitz has a dark tummy and inner thighs also. I'm glad other greys have it. I was wondering, because I never saw that before.

NodakJonathon_RedMale_3.jpg

phene's skin colour changes from light to dark purple-eggplantish every summer. i think it's fairly common.

So does Kieran's! She likes to lie in the sun - I don't let her stay too long, but it doesn't seem to take very much exposure for her tummy to get dark in the summer!

Guest iggalicious
Thanks for posting the question iggalicious. Our Doodles' skin is darker, kind of eggplanty as others have described, under her fur on her legs and tummy. Glad to hear it sounds fairy normal. Doodles is a red fawn ... I wonder if there is a connection.

Sanjay is a red fawn too. Maybe with some dogs it's just genetics.

Peanut has a purply brown heiney. She's from Florida and spent a lot of time in the sun. But, greyhound's skin is pretty thin and somewhat see through. My vet and I discussed this the other day and she said what you can see is the muscle under the skin. It is the colour of a raw chicken thighs. :lol

She also suggested limitting the amount they spend laying in the sun or using sun screen.

One of the kids at my Child Care uses coconut oil as a sun screen. It provides a limitted amount of protection without chemicals. It's available in ethnic food sections it's edible. I have no idea idf dogs can eat coconut, but if they can it would be a safe alternative to commercial products.

Coconut Oil sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll start using that for sunscreen.

Thanks! :colgate

Guest SillyDog

I think some of it depends on the dog's color. I don't think I've ever seen a black greyhound with purple-ish skin, unless it was from a bruise. The black greys seem to have lily white or pink skin. But I have seen fawns & brindles with the purple-ish skin. I think it's kind of funny how the skin seems to not match the color of fur for any of them!

Guest chigal950
There is such a wealth of information without the cattiness of some other dog breeds forums.

Meow. :lol

ETA: Thanks everyone I am glad to know also that my Molly's color change is completely normal.

Edited by chigal950

Guest Dinabird

I used to live in Hawaii - coconut oil is definately NOT a good sunscreen! sorry but I think that is a myth. I would check with a vet before relying on it