Both Chase And Lulu Have Been Sick

Guest savvyprchick

Guest savvyprchick

I haven't had time to post this because I've been busy cleaning up the Big D every time I get home :rolleyes: Chase started having the Big D in the house last Thursday. He even tried to make it to two different doors... deposits in front of the sliding glass door that goes out to the fenced back yard and deposits in front of the door that leads to where we go out to the car. Poor baby felt so bad about it too :( He thought he was going to get in trouble or something.

So I put him on a 24 hour fast and then put him on bland food. As soon as the food hit his stomach again, he was having problems. Another round of 24hr fasting (by this time it was the weekend, he could control it inside but was just really runny outside). I figured if it didn't clear up on its own by Monday, I'd take him to the vet.

Then Lulu started getting the Big D on Sunday. Luckily, she was also able to control it (other than one or the other of the dogs getting me up at least once a night to go outside... but I was happy they were telling me :) ) ... that is, until I came home for lunch yesterday.

I walked in the door at lunch hoping everything was better because Chase hadn't had the Big D inside in two days and Lulu had only had it outside. But when I walked in, I could smell it. :puke I didn't see anything by the doors that Chase had been doing (but later found a spot where he'd been kind enough to clean it up himself :yuck ), so I went into the livingroom to get Lulu out of her crate. And that's when I saw it. Her crate was FULL of yellow, watery, mucous-y Big D. She had completely saturated the comforter, it had gotten out onto the surround carpet and up my walls. Poor baby was standing up as to not lay in it. I felt horrible for her :(

I got her outside and she was walking around in a sort of daze with her mouth hanging open and saliva just dripping from it... in fact, my first thought was she had been poisoned and was dying, so I immediately called the vet to get an appointment. They told me (this was at 1 p.m.) that they couldn't get either of the dogs in that day and I'd either have to wait until 10:40 the next day (today) or wait until 6 p.m. that night and take them to the e-vet.

So I decided to call a vet that my coworker (who has greys) uses. I'd used them before once with a foster and knew that they were reasonably priced, had knowledge of greys and were highly recommended by my coworker. I called and they had no problem with me bringing in two sick dogs that they'd never seen, but they were also able to get them BOTH in together at 4 p.m.

When we got there and neither of the dogs seemed nervous like they do at the other vet. In fact, one of the techs came out and sat on the bench with us and loved them both up and one of the receptionists came around the corner and petted them.

They were examined and didn't really have a temperature (Chase was at the high end of normal, so she said if it was a temp, it was very low-grade) but Chase did have tenderness in his abdomen and Lulu didn't. Fecal exams came back negative and the vet said it was probably something bacterial and that she'd give me some meds for them and if they didn't improve by Wednesday morning to give her a call back.

Well after just one round of pills.... I got to sleep through the whole night without them having to go out! :banana And after the second set of pills, neither of them have had the Big D yet even when I went home at lunch! :banana :banana Of course, they haven't pooed at all since yesterday afternoon, but I'm sure that they are all pooed out! Lulu is much more chipper and wants to jump on Chase's back (Chase still isn't up for it), but at least they are both improving. And they both ate all their rice/hamburger combo this morning :banana :banana :banana

I was terrified of the double vet bill, but with two exams, four antibiotics (two each), two fecal exams and a heartworm test for Lulu (she was due for it so I said go ahead), we only ran $161. I was expecting something a lot more.

So, yay for a new vet who didn't kill me in vet bills.

Sorry I have no photos, but Lulu says she didn't want a photo of her when she was "out of it" with her nose completely bent on her leg with her tongue hanging out (okay, okay, the real reason was the camera wasn't charged 'cause it would have been a great photo).

We still have no idea what the "bug" was, but hopefully it's on its way out of here.

Edited by savvyprchick

Sounds like you found a new vet.

I agree with this .... If I thought my dog might be poisoned & MY vets office told me to wait until the next day to bring her in .... that would be the last time I called that vet. :angry: If you have what could be an emergency during office hours, you should be able to get into your vets office immediately.

Guess you're lucky you found out how they are before a REAL emergency happened! What good is a vet's office that doesn't handle emergency walk-in business from their own clients?

I'm glad the kids are doing better though!

Give Chase and LuLu a hug for me!

Cory

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest savvyprchick
I agree with this .... If I thought my dog might be poisoned & MY vets office told me to wait until the next day to bring her in .... that would be the last time I called that vet. :angry: If you have what could be an emergency during office hours, you should be able to get into your vets office immediately.

Well, I didn't tell them I thought she'd been poisoned... that was just the first thought that went through my head. However, I did tell them about the open mouth and the saliva dripping from it. But I agree that I should have been able to get in, even if they had to cancel a non-emergency appointment (like routine shots or well-check). If I had a routine appointment and was asked to postpone it for an emergency, I'd have no problem because I'd hope that they would do that for my dogs if I needed it.

Guest CocktailGirl

Sorry to hear Chase and LuLu were sick. I am glad they are feeling better.

I have read a few times here that vets can't get dogs in that seem really sick. That is so unacceptable to me, if the dog is really sick they should be able to see a doctor. The new vet sounds really nice and it was greyt that they were able to see the pups.

I'm glad they're feeling better!!!!!

give Chase and LuLu (man is she getting to be a cutie in your siggy!!!! Still surprised Bruce handed her over to you in the GUR :lol) a big kissie for us! :kiss2

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so glas they're feeling better and yah I really think they should have fit you in at your regular vet.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest savvyprchick
I'm glad they're feeling better!!!!!

give Chase and LuLu (man is she getting to be a cutie in your siggy!!!! Still surprised Bruce handed her over to you in the GUR :lol) a big kissie for us! :kiss2

We need to do a reunion. I have a few friends in Chicago... maybe I could meet them and you guys could see the Amazon girl!

Guest tiffyks

Hers not an amazon girl, she is just like the rest of us Southwest Kansans, BEEFY!!!

I am glad she is feeling better. Poor Baby!!!

Give her and Chaser a big hug from us.

You describe how all 3 of mine were briefly. It hit Gracie the worst so I took her to the vet. She had to spend the day since she was dehydrated. But the vet gave all of them flagyl and that knocked it right out. Garcie also got some thick liquid tubed down her throat to help her tummy.

As best we could figure out, all 3 of them drank out of the bird bath - something I'm never seen them bother with before.

The vet's best guess was that it was the "bird bath tea" that got them. No more birdbaths in our yard now.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I am so happy that your babes are feeling better! Sending gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.