Ace Is At The Er Right Now

I went rollerblading with a friend this afternoon for an hour or so and then we had some dinner really quick. He dropped me off and I was greeted at the door by Ace and Fritz, as usual. As I went to feed them, I noticed blood on my wall and all over my fridge...Ace's tail was bleeding! Not only was it bleeding, part of it was gone! :eek I looked all over for what she could have beat it on, then started to wonder if she *ate* it (why she would do that I'm not sure).

Then I saw it. My tv sits in an armoir thing in my living room and the doors are always open. SOMEHOW, she got her tail wedged into the bottom of the door, where the door meets the cabinet, and got it SO stuck that she pulled the end off! :eek:eek:eek Yes, the last 3 inches of her tail were sitting there in the door :puke I touched it just to be sure and then almost passed out.

There is NO logistical way that this happened, I have been standing here looking at this thing for the past hour and can not figure out how the heck she got her tail in there in the first place. I even pulled Fritz over there to see if he casually walked by if his tail had any chance of getting caught. The space is so small I can't even think about getting my pinky IN there, even a little kid pinky wouldn't fit. This is such a freak accident.

So of course it's Saturday, had to rush her to the evet. She has exposed bone, I knew it would have to be amputated, and sure enough, that's what we have to do. So, she's there right now having surgery, to the tune of $800 (well, the estimate they gave me was $725-850). I will do anything for my babies, but this comes at the WORST time since I've been having some money troubles...since Brett and I broke up I am not getting the extra money to help pay the bills that he was putting in. So, I did a little crying for me about the money but mostly I am just worried about my little peanut. The other three are wandering around like they're lost, their ringleader isn't here and they don't know what to do.

Thank God for my mother, she came up here and cleaned up the carnage while I was at the vet with Ace. When I broke down about the money she said she and my dad would help pay for it.

The evet will call me when she's done and awake and ready to come home. I hate dealing with tail injuries, we've had a few at the kennel over the years and they are just so difficult to deal with.

My pretty peanut isn't going to have any white on her tail anymore :( Please say a little prayer for her, she's in surgery right now and she's been having some more kidney/liver issues (elevated bilirubin), for which she's been on antibx, on top of all this. Say a little prayer for me too...for my sanity and my wallet. I guess I just have to come to terms with the fact that I will probably always be in debt.

PS - the doors to the armoir have been removed and will never be put back on until I get rid of it.

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest taylorsmom

Oh I am so sorry to hear about poor Ace's tail--and poor you, how traumatic that must have been to find the tail piece, gaak!!

I will say lots and lots of prayers for a safe and quick recovery for your baby. Tail injuries are a real pain in the...well, the tail!! to recover from. My Rita took a month and a half to get over happy tail this past winter. I am still finding blood streaks and spots on various walls.

Oh holy crap, Kristin.

I'm glad you didn't pass out and were able to get her to the vet.

You won't always be in debt. You're a smart, determined person going through a bad spot, and you'll get out of it again.

Sending many many hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest maryjo79

Oh dear, I can't imagine how horrific that was :grouphug :grouphug

Sending lots of prayers for the pup and for you :hope1 :hope1

Poor her and you. :grouphug Prayers things go well and she has an uneventful healing.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Just spoke with the vet, she is out of surgery but still a little sleepy yet. I can pick her up in about half an hour.

Times like this I thank God for very supportive parents and friends. I even called Brett to let him know (after all, Ace was his "kid" for the past 4 years too), he said if I needed anything to let him know.

It was Ace's 4 year gotcha day yesterday and I didn't get anything posted for her...so here's a shot of my pretty peanut puppy:

45697194.jpg

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest maryjo79

She's adorable :wub:

Remember, good people attract good people, so if you have caring and supportive friends and family, that means you are a good person too :) Glad she is out of surgery :)

Guest Tenderhearts

Many many prayers for quick healing for Ace, and lots and lots of hugs for you!!!!!!!!!!! :hope :hope :hope:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Guest WarmheartedPups

Holy Mackerel!!! How the heck did that happen. I think I would have passed out. But, we seem

to get the strength we need at those critical times.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

yowza...I might've passed out for that one! I sure hope she heals quickly and uneventfully :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Well the peanut is home. She's bandaged and our fabulous vet put a syringe tube over the bandage so she won't hurt it if she bangs it on anything.

Of course she's exhausted so I've got her set up with a bunch of pillows (her favorite thing in the world is a nest of pillows :wub: ) up on my bed and she's already asleep. The others seem relieved to have her home and have all settled down.

As for me, I am going to have an adult beverage, read for a bit, and go to bed, hopefully tomorrow will be much less eventful!

Thank you everyone for the prayers!

Oh, and our bill only came to $697. Still a large amount but it was less than our estimate so I'll take what I can get! Must have been a quicker surgery than our doc had figured.

Edited by krissn333

Guest nursenearlyther

Wow! I am glad she is home and you still have a little bit of your sanity. Hope she heals up good and without issues...

OMG....I can not begin to imagine! Poor little girl...poor you. Sending hugs all the way around. :grouphug Get well soon sweetie!

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

The little peanut slept through the night next to me in her pillow nest :) She's been up and had her breakfast and been outside. She's a little slow but will still wag her tail even with that plastic casing on there :wub: When she's not up and about she's lounging on the couch, I've got the tv on for her.

Grandma and Grandpa just got here to help me hang a cabinet so she's quite excited to see them. I just hope the recovery is uneventful...we've had some tails at the kennel that took forever to heal or the dog ended up having to have more taken off :( We are going to do our best, I am thankful that I've had tail experience or I would be totally freaking out right now about dealing with her.

John E did the same thing when we first adopted him. We only had him about three weeks and we came home to find Brandy covered with blood. We washed her down and checked everywhere for an injury, not realizing that John E had bled all over her. Then he started wagging his tail and the blood went flying. We couldn't figure out how he injured himself, until hours later when I saw a piece of his tail stuck in the corner of his crate. Just like you, it really skeeved me out.

His tail is now about 1 1/2 inches shorter, but you would never know. Our vet did a wonderful job with the surgery.

As an aside, the director of our group was at the vet when we brought him in with his tail wrapped up in bandages. She said what did you do to that beautiful dog. What else could make you feel like crap?

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Beth had a tail injury last year. It took forever to heal up since she wouldn't leave it alone. Could unwrap anything we put on it. We finally got a Bite-Not collar for her. She couldn't turn with it on and it didn't freak her out the way the E-collar did. Here's to a quick and uneventful healing.