Regarding

Guest Winterwish

I have nothing helpful to add Mary but wanted to make sure to pop in and give Dorsey a little hug from Stelly and I :grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SillyDog

Would he be stressed if you pulled him in a wagon? It might be easier on him than riding in a car and would certainly require less physical effort on his part.

Good luck with the next round of tests, and get well sweet Dreamer!

Sounds like the heat got him , you can make a cool coat out of auto chamis and velcroe then keep it wet with bottles of water , sounds like he was ok at the start of the walk then got sick so you would think the heat got to him , more so if he is black and you were in the sun , 3 years ago there was a parade here and 2 greys got sick and died on the way to the vet.

Guest SillyDog

My guy Prancer starts really feeling the heat around 90 degrees or so, so I can see where a sudden increase to 90 degrees would bother Dreamer. I think it's just harder on the black ones. His vet also thinks his sweat glands may not have developed properly so he has even less ability to sweat than most dogs. Prancer's around 11, so as he gets older the heat is harder on him, too. We're lucky; my apartment is in a very wooded area and we never have to walk in the sun now. It's really good for my old guy!

My guy Prancer starts really feeling the heat around 90 degrees or so, so I can see where a sudden increase to 90 degrees would bother Dreamer. I think it's just harder on the black ones. His vet also thinks his sweat glands may not have developed properly so he has even less ability to sweat than most dogs. Prancer's around 11, so as he gets older the heat is harder on him, too. We're lucky; my apartment is in a very wooded area and we never have to walk in the sun now. It's really good for my old guy!

Dogs dont sweat they pant.

Guest HersheysMom

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about Dreamer. Don't have much advice except maybe keeping a spray bottle with cool water in it in your kit for when you have to go out & about. I do this on summer walks, which have become fewer and fewer. Having a dark dog with thick fur I can really sympathize.

Feel better soon, Dreamer! :bighug

Guest LindsaySF

How scary! He probably just couldn't take such a sudden temperature change. Taking him out in the heat more to get him used to it should help. :)

Guest SillyDog

Dogs dont sweat they pant.

They do both. They have sweat glands on their paws. That's one of the reasons dogs like to stick their feet in water on hot days. That, plus it's fun.

Edited by SillyDog

Good thoughts to you and sweet Dreamer! I know nothing about blood levels, so I have nothing to offer but my very best wishes for you guys.

Sobe (black) minds the heat terribly. I think it's even harder here in the north, where we not used to heat every day. Once he gets acclimated, he'll be fine, but the 50 degree temp changes in 12 hours are heck on animals and humans. Frost in the morning, then 90 in the afternoon?!?!?!?!?! I don't know whether to wear a coat or a bikini!

Good ideas about the cool coats and using the wipies. Maybe do the pads of his feet with a cool wipe too, that's a good place to release heat, in addition to what you're already doing.

Hopefully, it's just a fluke combination of a hot day, and not being accustomed to it, that goofed up his bloodwork.

Oh, I hate the heat too!!! 90 degrees is a lot for my boys to take after 40-70 degree weather being the norm so I'm sure the heat was the main factor. It is disconcerting that the vet was quoting values that made no sense but since she/he is concerned about something more, it is good you have the appointment itself and you can doublecheck the reasoning and facts before giving the go-ahead. I know human blood values and some of the reasons the testing gets done (from my job) but dogs are a different matter for me and I trust that the vet has my best interest at heart. But in this case, you and your interest!

Are your temps going to be high again on Tuesday? If not, things will be more normal. But, if so, definitely use a cool coat that has an auto chamois type material and bring water to keep it very moist since it gets hard and useless when it dries. We have cooling bandanas we haven't used yet that are supposed to do the trick. I don't know yet though. I've also seen dog umbrellas that are well-sized, they look like golf umbrellas, but I guess they are just for the rain....I think they would do well in the sun too. Now I am rambling!

Good luck to you two!! I hope everything goes very well!

p.s. Hurley gets hot very quickly since he is black and Woodie is lighter colored but has very thick fur so I see the heat hit my two dramatically since we are doing many more walks with them this year!

Edited by GreytHurleyDawg

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Hope he feels OK today and no x-ray is needed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yikes Mary!! I don't think it is just you. I have been with my vet for 24 years. When I have asked to speak to the vet (and sometimes when I have not) he comes to the phone, no questions asked.

I am so sorry you and Dream are having to deal with this. If you can, I would try to get him to the vet out on the Island for his dental. Good grief, that is so unprofessional.

Guest SillyDog

Even if she couldn't come to the phone that instant, she could've called you back in a few minutes! The whole shebang sounds odd now!

Guest Winterwish

Oh thank you Erika! And please give your boy some hugs from here too,okay? :dogcookie

Edited by Winterwish

Guest IrskasMom

Well , thats O K Mary ! This entire GreyTalk is here ....so we can vent our Sorrows, Pain, Frustration and also

our Happy Thoughts about our Greys .

I hope Dreamer is fine and you too !Give that Boy some gentle Hugs :dogcookie:bighug