Vaccination At Microchip Site Dangers

If your dogs or cats have a microchip DO NOT let your vet or vet tech give them an injection/vaccination near the microchip.

Apollo had parasites when I brought him home and had to have an injection between his shoulder blades. He abscessed about two weeks after that. My vet said that the abscess was due to his compromised immune system, put him on antibiotics and he healed well.

Okay, so now enter Georgia - from the same rescue with parasites. Vet tech comes in and gives her an injection between her shoulder blades. Yep, you guessed it...another abscess. We have an appointment to see the vet on Monday, but I've been doing a little research. Turns out that it is very dangerous to inject at the site of a microchip. In fact, many cases of soft tissue sarcoma have come of this. I'm so angry, I could spit! :angryfire Why the F&*K didn't the vet or tech think to ask if they were micro-chipped?? I mean if I could find this out in 5 minutes why do they not know about it??

So, just in case you guys are not aware...don't let anyone inject anything near the microchip.

Edited by lisad

Guest karma98104

What kind of an injection for parasites?? My vet has always sent me home with meds, not a shot?

Yikes, hope your pup is ok- thanks for sharing!

Guest Oh_Greyt

Hm, I've never heard of this (with the microchip site and injections) and I'm a vet tech. That's interesting, I'll definately ask my vet if he's heard of it... We don't like to give injections around the shoulders at all because of the risk of sarcomas. We give SQ injections as low as possible on a hind leg, so if a sarcoma ever develops you can amputate the leg instead of euthanizing the pet. An abcess or sarcoma could develop any time an injection is given. We typically only try to use the shoulder areas for SQ fluids or microchipping.

I'm wanting to get my new girl microchipped - I'll definately have to remember this in the future when she gets vaccines or injections. Thank you.

Hope your baby is okay. I would be upset as well, although I myself didn't know about this.

Karma - Ivermectin and Droncit come in injectable forms as well as orals. It just depends on what your vet &/or you prefer(s).

Thanks, really useful to know this. I would have never thought about it although I don't recall where our vaccinations have been given - it's been a while. :>)

And Hubcitypam, I've never heard of microchips being implanted anywhere else. I might be wrong though.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest caro

Never knew that... and it's wasn't something I was told about when I worked as a vet tech. Of course that was many moons ago... like 10 years when microchipping wasn't very popular. That kind of info is good to know.

We don't like to give injections around the shoulders at all because of the risk of sarcomas. We give SQ injections as low as possible on a hind leg, so if a sarcoma ever develops you can amputate the leg instead of euthanizing the pet. An abcess or sarcoma could develop any time an injection is given. We typically only try to use the shoulder areas for SQ fluids or microchipping.

That's good to know too. Have you had any experience withthe sarcoma? What does it look/feel like?

Guest greyhound_luv

I just had my new grey, Katie microchipped during her dentals yesterday - are they always inserted between the shoulder blades?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nerak254

Is there information about this anywhere? I mentioned to the vet when we were there earlier this week. He said he's be interested in learning more.

Here's one of the links I found about the risk of fibroscarcoma with injecting meds near a microchip site. There's another from a veterinary conference transcript that I found. http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/memorial7.html

I have to say that after reading how many of you have not had your dogs treated for anything with injections between the shoulders, I'm very disappointed in my vet. My mother said the same thing - never heard of that as a place for injections. Not to mention, the tech gave the shot...nothing against techs, but others have said that their vets always give the shots.

Other than my sweet Sydney (Aussie who passed away in '06) Apollo and Georgia are the only dogs I've had. My vet was so wonderful with Sydney during his illness and so kind when he passed. I'm torn. She has Greyhound experience, but I'm very upset at the recent treatment we've received.

When I took Georgia in and told her how the same thing happened to Apollo and told her what I found about injecting near the microchip site, she agreed that that does happen buts sorta shrugged me off. I was charged $104.00 for them to drain Georgia's abscess and put her on antibiotics. Made me a bit angry, as this wouldn't have happened to either of my dogs if the tech had been instructed not to inject between the shoulders. I took her back for a re-check yesterday. She's fine, but Dr. said she's concerned that her hair is not growing in and did a thyroid panel...another $112.00. I was supposed to get the results back yesterday - still no word.

Does anyone in the Pasadena, CA area know of a grey-savvy Vet, other than Dr. Tyson?? I actually recommended her on this site. She told me that she now is taking care of seven greys. I don't know if it's because of my post or not. She really is a GREAT Dr. but, I think her practice has grown so rapidly that she can't give the individual attention she used to.

Anyway, thanks for listening and for any advice.

Guest chigal950

I mentioned this to my vet and he hadn't heard anything about it. I think it fell into "don't believe everything you read on the internet" for him. I'll check the above article out.

Guest nerak254
Here's one of the links I found about the risk of fibroscarcoma with injecting meds near a microchip site. There's another from a veterinary conference transcript that I found. http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/memorial7.html

I have to say that after reading how many of you have not had your dogs treated for anything with injections between the shoulders, I'm very disappointed in my vet. My mother said the same thing - never heard of that as a place for injections. Not to mention, the tech gave the shot...nothing against techs, but others have said that their vets always give the shots.

Other than my sweet Sydney (Aussie who passed away in '06) Apollo and Georgia are the only dogs I've had. My vet was so wonderful with Sydney during his illness and so kind when he passed. I'm torn. She has Greyhound experience, but I'm very upset at the recent treatment we've received.

When I took Georgia in and told her how the same thing happened to Apollo and told her what I found about injecting near the microchip site, she agreed that that does happen buts sorta shrugged me off. I was charged $104.00 for them to drain Georgia's abscess and put her on antibiotics. Made me a bit angry, as this wouldn't have happened to either of my dogs if the tech had been instructed not to inject between the shoulders. I took her back for a re-check yesterday. She's fine, but Dr. said she's concerned that her hair is not growing in and did a thyroid panel...another $112.00. I was supposed to get the results back yesterday - still no word.

Does anyone in the Pasadena, CA area know of a grey-savvy Vet, other than Dr. Tyson?? I actually recommended her on this site. She told me that she now is taking care of seven greys. I don't know if it's because of my post or not. She really is a GREAT Dr. but, I think her practice has grown so rapidly that she can't give the individual attention she used to.

Anyway, thanks for listening and for any advice.

Can you tell me where the vet transcript is? After reading here, I am lucky wihth the vet I have. He was willing to try experimental things with Jessica when we were looking for all options and didn't blow me off and he was the one giving shots when we were there.

My vet always gives injections in the rear end. He takes blood from the neck. Microchips get injected between the shoulder blades.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I can't find that veterinary conference transcript, but I'll keep looking. I know it was an international conference and they used that dog Leon as an example of what can happen. It's most common in cats and small dogs, but I'm not taking any chances. Yes, microchips are always put between the shoulders. After reading all these posts and talking to others, apparently injections/vaccinations are never (or vary rarely) put there.

So, has it been your experience that the tech or the vet gives injections? Some people have told me that the vet should always give vaccinations and injections. I'm so confused and truthfully a bit hurt that my vet, someone I trusted with the most precious things in my life, would put them in danger and not make enough time to make sure they are treated well. :(

Guest Oh_Greyt

By law, a veterinarian MUST give the rabies vaccine... all other vaccines and injections can be given by a tech under the direction or supervision of the vet. At our practice, the vets always give vaccines (even for drop-offs where the clients weren't there). It was mostly for liability and the security of knowing which vaccine was given where and that it was done properly. As techs, however, we do give some vaccines and injections, and as long as the tech is properly trained that is okay. That being said, I still prefer to have my vet or myself do the injections for my own pets. :)

ETA - How is Georgia doing? Hope things are better, and at least now you now a bit more about this... Although it would have been nicer if your poor pup did not have to go through this. Keep us posted!

Edited by Oh_Greyt

Thank you all for your support. Georgia has recovered from the abscess, but now the vet says she has hypothyroidism and suspects heart disease. She has said this based on blood tests - never even listened to her heart. Yes, her thyroid is very low....but her heart? I'm taking her to another vet this afternoon. I'm so worried about my sweet, little one. :cry1