Wenda Has Osteocarcoma In Shoulderblade

Guest septembercrow

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest septembercrow

Thanks Hawke for such a thoughtful email.

Today Wenda seems like she's in a lot of pain. She is trying not to use the affected leg and limping very badly. I called the vet to see if upping her pain meds is an option, just waiting for a call back. She's on Tramadol every 8 hours and Rymidal every 12. Anyone have any experience with using these together and how much meds they went up to?

Thanks again everyone.

J

Guest Hawke

You're very welcome; I just wish it could be more. When we first found out about Shiloh I know I wanted to hear as many different stories of pets with osteo as I could so I knew some of the things to expect. I wanted to "pass it forward"...

We did Deramaxx (which I think acts like Rimadyl if I remember correctly--I've put a lot from my mind already) and Tramadol. The Deramaxx dosage stayed fairly steady after it got up to one per day (Shiloh was a fairly big grey), but the Tramadol fluctuated.

When we did the radiation the cancer vet told us that they had the most success with initial high doses of pain meds for a week to "break through" the pain and then backing off a bit. That method seemed to work with Shiloh.

You might also look into intravenous palmidronate for pain. We did not do this, but I almost kind of wish we had. The vet said there seemed to be a bit of an as yet unconfirmed theraputic affect to these treatments as well as a documented palliative affect.

Many good wishes!

Guest MorganKonaAlex

For Alex's bone pain, we were dosing as follows:

- 100 mg Neurotin x 1 day

- 75 mg Rimadyl x 2 day

- 50 mg Tramadol. Can increase up to 100 mg. 4 x day.

First increase the number of doses per day.

Ask about adding Neurotin (generic name Gabapentin (sp?)). It helped a lot.

Guest Tenderhearts

I am so sorry your Wenda is in pain today, and I know your heart hurts too :grouphug

Keeping both of you in my prayers here in Kansas :hope:candle:hope:candle:hope:candle:hope

Guest septembercrow

:brokenheart Yes, I wish I could take something for the pain in my breaking heart...

I did get a book last night to help deal with the grief, it's kinda started taking over my life knowing that I don't have much longer with her. I even started talking with a therapist. :sofa

It has helped a lot just letting my know I'm not crazy to be so grief stricken. They were talking about the three different levels of bonding humans do with animals. Of course I am the type with no children or significant other, so I am the most bonded you can be! Her and my cat are like my kids, my family. My job causes me to move a lot so, my animals have always been like my portable home...So, I'm going to keep reading and keep trying to spend as much time with her.

It's so hard when her spirit is still so alive, but her body and just giving out...sometimes it feels like my heart is going to give out...

J

Guest MorganKonaAlex
:brokenheart Yes, I wish I could take something for the pain in my breaking heart...

I know what you mean. My Alex was diagnosed in December and was PTS in March despite amputation and chemo. Those last few weeks/months were very sad. He never really was the same dog after the amputation. The last 2 weeks were especially hard knowing we had lost the battle when lung mets were found and growing fast. Every time I looked at him, I was reminded of how he use to be and what a hole was being left. You are not alone.

:grouphug I'm so sorry. I know it's hard.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Winterwish

Oh I'm so,so sorry your girl Wenda is so very ill and that you're going thru' such heartache. :grouphug

:hope:gh_child:hope Thinking of you and Wenda and sending comfort. :grouphug

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Jackie, my heart is breaking for and with you. :bighug

Give sweet Wenda a kiss and hug from us. Give yourself one too. There is no easy part of this journey.

Pat

Guest septembercrow

Thanks Pat.

Give me a call if you still have my number or send me an email-I can't seem to find yours.

Well, I've finally stopped crying enough to write this. Scratch that, started again... :cry1

I called and made the appt. today to help Wenda to the bridge on Tuesday June 19th at 1pm. They are coming to our home so she can be in a more peaceful environment. Thank goodness for that. Plus I can fall apart in the comfort of my home.

She just seems like she's in a lot of pain, she is trying not to use her leg at all.

I don't know what to say after that really. The next week is going to be difficult...

It's so hard to know something so awful is around the corner. After helping my other dog Gibbous a little over a year ago to the bridge, the memory is just still to vivid.

Ugh.

J

Guest PhillyPups

Jackie I lost your phone number, e-mail me at pattarditi@hotmail.com please. :bighug I know this is so very hard to do. Make this a wonderful time for her, steak, all the things she so loves, give her the love, peace and comfort you want her to have.

I am so sorry. Sending prayers and gentle ear scritches. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I'm so very sorry. It's heartbreaking, and our final act of love. Sending prayers for comfort and peace to you both. :hope:bighug

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest septembercrow

Thanks everyone. Last night with her. Eating steak and making a paw print garden stone...I don't know how I'm going to do this...

Please everyone prayers for me and Wenda tomorrow.

1pm.

J

Guest PhillyPups

Jackie, please take these warm hugs and wrap them around you like a velvet cloak, you will be strong for Wenda. :bighug

Know my thoughts and prayers will be with you tonight and tomorrow.

Just feel her love in your heart, let it fill with all her good feelings for you. :bighug

Guest whatahound

Just wanted you to know that I've been thinking about you today. :grouphug

I tried to send you a PM, but it would not work.

Edited by whatahound