Holidays Without The Bridge Kids

MilliesMom

Is it just me (since Millie was my only) or do the rest of you find your moods going up and down during this holiday season? First I feel happy that my dog has no pain, then I feel horribly sad that I've lost more than a dog-- I've lost a friend who I had for over 13 years. Then I start thinking that there's someone else out there for me, and I'll wonder where she's been all this time when she finally comes to me. THEN I start thinking about the comparisons I'll be making between the two, and that will make me hurt even more.

It was four months ago yesterday that Millie went to the Bridge. Sometimes I just want the pain to go away, but I don't want it to go away completely because I'd feel too far from her.

Does any of this make sense?

Millies Mom,

It makes sense to me. We just lost Floydieboy two weeks ago and I was miserable. I didn't eat and absolutely wanted nothing to do with Christmas. Boy, DH was not happy with me. So for an early gift, he surprised me with Lyiddy, our new grey. She has been a great distraction. At first it was so hard to look at her while she laid there. I would cry and think of Floyd. But now it is getting easier. However, I do compare her to Floyd quite often and that is something I am trying to stop. She in many ways, is like Floyd, but in many ways she is not. She catches on pretty quick, where Floyd seemed to be a bit more-shall I say- doggie attention deficit disorder. He was big, fast and agile. She is small, fast and a complete clutz. So we laugh about the differences now. But at night when I go to bed, I kiss Liddy goodnight and then I climb into bed and that is Floyd's time. I think about him and try to talk to him. I ask him to help Liddy with all these new things that she is experiencing. And I tell Liddy, ask Floyd to help you when she is stressed.

My biggest fear is that we will forget Floyd. We won't. Losing him was like losing an arm. But Liddy, like I said before, is a good distraction. I knew we would get another grey, I just never imagined it would be so soon. But for me, it has helped.

Try to keep your head up through the holidays. It sounds like everything you are going through is pretty normal. It sounds like Millie had a wonderful life with you....Also, the support I received both here, from friends and neighbors and from other internet groups-really made me feel good, like I was normal to be such a wreck. It has been so amazing the support we have gotten with Floyd. I just don't think other breeds of dogs have people like us!

((((((hugs))))))

Janet & Liddy

Katy, Texas

but been all over

:grouphug:cry1:grouphug

Janet & Millie'smom,

you'll never replace those babies but you can love other babies too!! Just remember that they will always be in your heart. I lost my poodle Babette when I was in 6th grade and we had her for 8 years, She was hit by a car on October 1st, this year I went out to dinner with my sister and my dad on October first and we were walking out to the car from the resturant and it was a clear night and a full moon and it hit me, OMG this is just like the night Babette died and then I was like OMG today is October 1st, that was 30 years ago when she died.

I STILL think of her and miss her, but I've also learned to love my cat pookie, brookie and now Major & Black Jack.

:grouphug Hugs to both of you guys and to everyone who has lost a furkid, they'll always be close to you in your hearts!! :)

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

It's amazing how they never really leave you. All the animals I've loved and lost... But there are always more furry friends who need that love, so our hearts will never be empty.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest TorynUs

Losing our 14 yr old schnauzer June 1,'02 was so hard, eventhough we knew we were lucky to have her really an extra 14 months or so after getting her on meds. Apr. '01. We are never ready to say goodbye to our loved furbabies, but I know Genny will always be close in our hearts. Having Tory, a grey, and obviously a totally different breed of dog, it has been amazing how many personality traits they share! Ironically enough, we found out as we were adopting Tory, her birthday is June 1---the day we had to have Genny put down. We like to think Genny "picked" Tory for us knowing she would be a good match for all.---and the connection of the June 1 date will give us cause to celebrate (after tears for missing Genny) We never forget them--and if you are like us, you just NEED the love of, and TO love, animals. And they are SO grateful. Loving another animal really does help in the healing, we found out too. They don't replace, they just want in on the lovin'!

Today I thought that had it not been for Daisy Mae's passing (our German Shepherd mix), we wouldn't have had Millie. I know there's someone else out there, but it's been 4 months, and I still can't throw away her toothbrush. Her Odie food bowl still sits by the fridge. The last box of her Milk Bones (now empty becaue of strays) sits in her bag of food (also used by strays). This may sound stupid, but every once-in-awhile, I ask Millie to send me another special friend when the time is right.

That doesn't sound stupid at all.. That sounds nice :) I'm sure she will when the time is right!

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Fill the hole in your heart with happy memories. It's so hard to lose a beloved pet but we go on and try to help others who need us.

Janet - Gidge has so many of the same characteristics that China had. Sometimes I feel as though she is still here with us.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Your feelings are perfectly understandable. I lost Darwin and Ginger over a year ago and I still miss them terribly. In fact I was thinking about them this morning and how much fun they always had tearing the wrapping paper off their toys at Xmas. I love the furkids I have now and wouldn't trade them for anything....but I wish I could have the others back as well. It's funny how a time that should bring all the happiness out often brings the pain along with it. You could always do what I do when I'm feeling down about their loss (although I don't do it as much as when they first died). I'm not crazy...but it makes me feel better....I go out and stare at the stars. When I find the brightest one I talk to it hoping that Darwin and Ginger can hear me. Then I go in and hug my babies. Willow is so much like Darwin it is very creepy sometimes...and he wasn't a greyhound.

tn_greyhound002.gif

Willow & Trace

Butch (11/94 - 7/16/08) Hayley (11/96 - 1/13/09) Merlin (11/12/95 - 5/29/09)

GPA - Central New Hampshire

I'm not crazy...but it makes me feel better....I go out and stare at the stars. When I find the brightest one I talk to it hoping that Darwin and Ginger can hear me. Then I go in and hug my babies. Willow is so much like Darwin it is very creepy sometimes...and he wasn't a greyhound.

:) that sounds so comforting and nice :) I think it's awesome that you love your animals THAT much and they mean that much to you. I totally know what you mean, I love my guys more than anything!! Pets are really special and the people that love them are too!! :)

Guest Ferrevergrey

I know exactly what you are saying-I have found myself constantly fighting depression and sadness this Christmas season. Last year there was Sandy. It was his first and only Christmas with us. I miss him very very much right now. They say it gets easier-and to some extent it has-but all the decorations and things-it's to much! I miss him so much I can hardly stand it.

I've found that the best way for me to cope with my kitty Misha's passing is to honor her memory by talking about her & sharing stories about her. It's a wonderful way to keep their memory alive & keep them close to your heart. :inlove

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest wlfhund

My heart aches every day. For you, for me and for all of us who are going through our first, second, third... christmas without our babies by our side.

I lost Mercy very close to the same time. August 23rd of this year. This is my first Christmas in over 7 years without her.

I had a very hard time putting up my decorations. I did a lot of things for her. She loved Christmas. I decided to hang her stocking. I don't know if that was a good decision or a bad one. It hurts awful, but I think it would hurt worse if it wasn't there. My tree is still intact, no one has pulled all the candy canes off and she hasn't scratched her butt in the tree, knocking all the ornaments off. She used to investigate all the presents, her nose worked overtime during the holidays.

Remembrence is the greatest gift we can give our bridgekids. The pain is not always easy. But, please know, you are not alone. Several of us feel the pain of lonelyness this time of year.

I miss my baby so much, sometimes I think I will just die from the pain. Then I remember something special, something funny, and the pain lifts and I am happy for her, bouncing at the bridge, playing, waiting. She had 7 beautiful christmas' with us. God blessed us with the first one. The rest were just icing.

Love and prayers being sent your way

Wlfhund

Guest Ferrevergrey

Thanks for your comments on my furry kids Millie's mom! My neighbors all think I'm nuts about my dogs-and they're right. I live in a neighborhood where dogs aren't generally considered as anything but a worthless dog. Most sit in a kennel or on a chain day in and day out. It's very depressing, but at least I know my babies will always be loved and cared for. I do keep my babies in a kennel during the day since I don't have a fenced yard, and they seem to prefere the roomy kennel(it's 2 of the biggest kennels available here put to gether. I think it's something like 48' by 24'). Unlike most of the other dogs around, they have a heated water bucket and heated houses in the winter, and a mister system with plenty of shade, along with an automatic water in the summer. My neighbors all think I'm nuts for spending that kind of money on "a stupid dog" but I just laugh and tell them these are part of my family. They aren't just dogs. I think everyone here understands how I feel about my babies. I could never be without them!

Guest ShannonQ

Christmas Eve was very hard for us this year as it was the two month anniversary of the day we helped him to the bridge. On Oct 24th at 10:30 am we were in the car on the highway going to my parents' house after we let him go. We went to my parents' house for Xmas, and at 10:30am on Dec 24th we were at just about the same place on the same highway as we had been on Oct 24th. I still think about him every day, but that hit me hard.

Edited by ShannonQ