Kimmie My Sweet Angel...

Guest vwagner1

Guest vwagner1

I have dreaded the day I had to write this. And here it is, more painful than I ever imagined. My face and eyes hurt so much from crying. Will the pain ever go away?

Kim was my foster baby over 3 years ago. I knew within minutes in my house, she was there to stay. We bonded right away and she was my shadow from that day on. She started having seizures a few months after I brought her home but I knew to look for them because because she had had seizures at the track and that was why she was retired. She was on a kill truck to be put down, and Rescued Racers came in to save her. She fit in so well with the family right away. She is the best dog I have ever known. The seizures kept getting worse and she got to her limit on Phenobarbitol so we added potassium bromide to the mix. She has had toxic levels in her system for quite some time. We kept trying to reduce the Kbr but she would have cluster seizures. We upped the pheno again which caused her incontinence to be much worse and she was having lots of trouble with that, even on PPA. All drugged up, she was hardly the dog I adopted. Still very loving and my shadow but she had no energy, couldn' t run, or even go on walks. She kept collapsing from the side effects of the medication and would get stuck in a spread eagle on the floor screaming. Her right lip began to droop and the vet suspected that she was having mini strokes as well. We have battled getting her meds straight for a year and half and they still weren't controlled. Oh how I hate the seizure monster. Vet also suspected a brain tumor because of other strange behaviors. When she clustered last weekend, I decided I couldn't put her through this any longer. She seemed uhappy to me just pacing and panting with anxiety and then falling over in exhaustion. I felt it was time.

I took her this morning after a big steak breakfast and lots of kisses and treats. God it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. Now I am second guessing myself that maybe if I would have given her more time we could have figured out the medication. I can't stop with the what if's now. She went to heaven in my arms with me kissing that sweet, soft fact crying how much I loved her and cared for her. Telling I am so sorry we couldn't fix her. How unfair it all seems. I pray that God takes her under his wings and that she waits for me to join her one day. God bless you little Kimmie! We love you and miss you dearly! Please understand we did what we thought was best for you to put you out your pain, anxiety, and get you away from the seizure monster. Run with your brother Hank. Run like you haven't been able to do for a long time. Love you sweetheart!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest seniorhoundlover

She knows you loved her, beautiful girl. She is running with the angels now. Though it is hard, please don't second guess yourself. You knew when the time had come and she probably did too. Having dealt with the seizure monster ourselves recently, I can so relate. Godspeed, sweet Kimmie!

Oh Vicki, I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet girl, Kimmie...your post made me cry. Don't second guess yourself, she was counting on you to be strong and to help her when she needed it :grouphug:f_white

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest argolola

I am crying with you over the loss of your precious girl. Please rest assured that she is an angel now, and looking down on you. The heavens will be brighter tonight. God bless you.

Guest jeannejj

Vicki, my heart breaks for you. You have done the hardest and most loving thing, let her go to the Rainbow Bridge to be free.

Run free, sweet Kimmie!

Be kind to yourself.

Jeanne

Mandy, Mack, Charlie and Mason

f_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellow

I am so very, very sorry for your loss. :grouphugf_yellow:grouphug Please try not to second guess yourself. You did everything you could for Kimmie and I'm sure she loves you for it. And now she is whole and happy and running free. :gh_run

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest MySkye

The hardest thing to do is love them enough to let them go. You are a GREYT mommy to endure all you have for a year plus! I admire your strength.

We are recovering from surrending my sweet Skye this week as well, and the grief is overwhelming at times and the ache so bad it steals the breath from our very chests.

I found amazing amounts of support and love from total strangers in this forum over the last few days and I am sure you will as well.

Our Bridge Angels are safe and whole and HEALTHY and that is a great comfort to me and soon it will be for you as well.

What a gorgeous baby.

Warmly, :angelwings:gh_run

Vicki, please don't second guess yourself. You did everything possible to help your little girl. She knew the happiness of a home and the love and devotion you had to give to her. You can only do what you feel in your heart is right and you did that. We too deal with the seizure monster here also so I know exactly how you feel. Hugs to you. :grouphug Godspeed sweet Kimmie. You are now seizure free.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Fawn_Molly

Your post moved me to tears.

I am very sorry for your loss of Kimmie. I have no doubt in my mind that she knew you loved her very much.

:f_red

Guest OnecoRose
2942Kim_in_new_collar.JPG

Here is my sweet love Kim.

Bye beautiful girl....

1612185[/snapback]

She is surely an angel, and is with the angels. She will meet my Chloe who left me Dec 3, still the love of my life. I know how you feel, fly free little girl.

Such beautiful girl with such a beautiful spirit.

Please don't second guess yourself--you made a loving decision for your sweet girl.

Peace and comfort for you and freedom from seizures and medications for beautiful Kim :grouphug:f_pink

Lucy and Piper (still facing the "seizure monster")

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest princessmommy

My heart goes out to you Vicki. You did what your heart told you was right for Kimmie -- she counted on you to do that for her. She is not suffering any longer. She will be watching over you from a beautiful place. :angelwings:candle

My heart aches for you, Vicki. You did everything possible medically, and loved your darling girl for 3 full years, which was truly a gift to her. The final, greatest gift was to do what's best for her... release from suffering. She is with all of our beloved Bridge angels now, whole and healthy again. Godspeed, beautiful Kimmie. :heart:grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest Peanut

Hugs to you and your family. I'm sure Natalie was waiting their to show her the way - away from the seizure monster they've both been freed from.

Hugs!

i am so very sorry. you made a very loving and courageous decision; one that was made in her best interest. i think you were very lucky to have found each other :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

What a beautiful girl. Just looking at her in her pretty dragonfly collar just brought me to instant tears.

We deal with seizures, also, so I understand your frustrations.

Kimmie was loved like she deserved by your for 3 years, and that is much better than many animals get. Thanks to you for loving her so much. She will wait patiently for you at the Bridge, and will be comforted by all the wonderful creatures that have gone before her.

I bet she's already racing up a storm!

God Speed, Kimmie! :grouphug

Guest Winterwish

:grouphug Kim is so beautiful. :cry1 I'm so sorry for your sadness.Please take comfort in knowing one day you will see each other again,& it will be forever.

:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

Guest NancyJ

Hello Vicki,

I had to put my beloved Pete down at the end of June. I had him for two wonderful years.

Your decision was the correct one--we have to think more about our animals than we do ourselves. That's what you did. Take pride in this. Yours was an act of love. Kim knew this.

Godspeed, sweet Kim.

Nancy

:f_red