Stroke In Non-gh

The last day of our vacation, the dog sitter called us to say that Molly (bichon) was limping and having some trouble walking and asked if she should take her to the vet. Molly is 14 (yesterday - what a birthday present she gave herself ) and often she limps when she first gets up and occasionally lands funny when she jumps off our bed and will limp for a little while. We said not to take her due to our experience with her limping. When we got home that night, Molly's head was tilted way to one side and I noticed her eyes were "twitching" (one more than the other). When she would shake her head, she would fall over and she was somewhat wobbly in walking. She also vomited 3-4 times Wednesday. Called the vet and took her in. He gave her a pred injection and put her on pred at home. She hasn't gotten any worse since Wednesday night nor does she seem to have gotten any better (her eyes aren't "twitching" like they were Wednesday). I'm thinking maybe she had a small stroke Wednesday morning that affected her balance and then maybe a larger one that caused the head tilt and other symptoms.

If anyone has read this far, my question is: If there isn't any improvement in a few days, can there still be improvement? Is there sort of a cut off for improvement? If she has had a stroke, is she more likely to have more? Is there a diet or meds she should be on permanently to help prevent this from happening again? She seems to be adapting to things today. Wednesday night she couldn't grab a treat, kept missing it from my hand. Maybe double vision or loss of vision? Today she is pretty much right on with treats. Our only issue with her is being outside with her and watching every second because she insists on going by the pool and fish pond and her balance still isn't great.

Any info/suggestions anyone has would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Those symptoms sound like Oliver's first episode of Vestibular Disorder and Nystagmus (eyes twitching left/right). He too looked very off balance.

We rushed him to the vet and the symptoms disappeared soon after. Vet said however that they would reoccur and with greater frenquency.

Oliver was 13. While he didn't have another episode of the VD&N, he did die of a stroke within a month.

None of that is very encouraging.

But if your dog had VD&N, my vet had said it otherwise woudn't hurt Oliver. We were to keep him calm during any future episodes and make sure his temperature did not get too high.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Those symptoms sound like Oliver's first episode of Vestibular Disorder and Nystagmus (eyes twitching left/right). He too looked very off balance.

We rushed him to the vet and the symptoms disappeared soon after. Vet said however that they would reoccur and with greater frenquency.

Oliver was 13. While he didn't have another episode of the VD&N, he did die of a stroke within a month.

None of that is very encouraging.

But if your dog had VD&N, my vet had said it otherwise woudn't hurt Oliver. We were to keep him calm during any future episodes and make sure his temperature did not get too high.

Thanks Macoduck. After reading your post, I researched VD&N on the internet. The vet had mentioned it as a possibility also. After reading some of the literature, I'm thinking that this might be the issue with Molly too. Guess we'll see what happens over the next few days.

Sending you sympathy--I had a CAT with vestibular problems. I was certain she had a brain tumor, but after antibiotics to clear up a major ear infection, she was 100% normal and is now nearing 14 herself.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

This was likely not a stroke. More likely is Canine geriatric vestibular disease. Usually treated with steroids and antibiotics. EXTREME inner ear infection. The dog has lost its equilibrium, so don't lift her or carry her if you can avoid it as it will increase her dizziness.

Keep her calm and quiet. Crate her if you can. Limit activity as much as possible. No stairs or running for a week or so.

Give her yogurt if she'll eat it.

With a week or two of steroids and antibiotics, lots of rest and TLC, she may recover completely.

We went through this with a 14-year-old Toy Fox Terrier. She lived for another year or so in excellent health.

Lois

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.