Pictures Of Rash: What Is It?

Guest savshusker

Guest savshusker

Here are some pics of my dog Savvy. She has circular rashes and patchy red spots too. mostly on her inner thighs on her back legs. But also on the top of her neck. Can anyone help me with a probable diagnosis and maybe some home remedies? I can't afford a vet visit for a couple of weeks. :(

She is four years old and she retired from racing in May. We live in Deep South Texas, USA.

Here are the links to the pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14229386@N07/1448484541/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14229386@N07/1448484547/

Thanks,

Brandon

Guest paulamariez

Poor little thing! Could they possibly be insect bites of some sort? I'm sure there will be much more input than my guess. But it is odd looking. Never had anything like it in any of my hounds. Hope it turns out to be something simple for sweet Savvy.

Vet and run a tick panel. Does she seem to be feeling OK otherwise?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest savshusker

I haven't asked the vet if he will work with me, but I will do my best to get her in there tomorrow. She was tested for tick borne disease when I adopted her a few months ago and she was given a clean bill of health. She seems to be feeling fine and she is not biting or scratching the lesions. I'm going to try some aloe vera tonight.

Thanks you all for your comments. More would be appreciated.

Brandon

Guest mirthlesstroll

The welt in the middle looks like a hive to me, but I have never seen a hive that color red.

Can you pay now with a credit card, then pay the amount off the card when you get paid?

Edited by mirthlesstroll

Guest savshusker
Has she been spending time outside? How long has she had these?

I take her fishing, for walks in the nature park and pretty much everywhere I go. She had a few very small spots a couple weeks ago, but yesterday I noticed they grew almost exponentially.

She has been hanging out with a couple chocolate labs. Their coats looked normal, but there was so much hair on them that I didn't notice anything that might be communicable.

We live in a semi-tropical environment that hardly ever freezes so I'm assuming that there are many more critters that bite down here.

Thanks again,

Brandon

Guest savshusker
Could be bites, could be staph. Only a vet looking at it will know. Are you down in the valley?

Yes, I live in North McAllen. I adopted her from G.A.L.T. Picked her up in Dallas. Is the Valley prone to more disease than the rest of the state? I'm guessing yes.

Brandon

I haven't asked the vet if he will work with me, but I will do my best to get her in there tomorrow. She was tested for tick borne disease when I adopted her a few months ago and she was given a clean bill of health. She seems to be feeling fine and she is not biting or scratching the lesions. I'm going to try some aloe vera tonight.

Brandon

I'm glad to hear that you will get her in to a vet. I understand about money issues but sometimes these things can't be avoided. Remind yourself that if this was one of your kids or you that had this thing you probably wouldn't hesitate to get seen.

If you haven't had the dog into the vet since adopting and set up a record you probably won't be able to go in and expect to charge the acct though

Guest savshusker

Brandon

I'm glad to hear that you will get her in to a vet. I understand about money issues but sometimes these things can't be avoided. Remind yourself that if this was one of your kids or you that had this thing you probably wouldn't hesitate to get seen.

If you haven't had the dog into the vet since adopting and set up a record you probably won't be able to go in and expect to charge the acct though

She has been to the vet several times since I adopted her and I do take care of her the absolute best I can. I know I had a responsibility to her when I adopted her. It sucks being poor!! Just know she is not being neglected, I wanted an opinion from the Greyhound community first, before I took her to the vet. If it was something common and benign, It would have been convenient (financially) to treat the problem at home. I now realize she needs professional help.

This website has helped tremendously already! I've only been a member one day.

Thanks you all for your comments,

Brandon

I think the high humidity and heat might affect some dogs more than others. I take it she didn't have these when you adopted her?

No, she did not. She did have a growth removed before I adopted her. It was classified benign and her prognosis was good. I will ask the vet if I am overexposing her to the elements here, but she does stay indoors nearly all day.

Thanks a million,

Brandon

Hopefully the vet has low office fees :) Sometimes with rashes you can take care of them at home, but this looks angry and like some of the spots are pustules which would indicate staph.

Walmart has good deals on generic medications, so if she needs meds, have the vet call it in for you!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I spent a lot of my life SW of Corpus Christi working with horses and the chiggers would get me if I was sitting in the grass at a horse show. Those may be from chiggers originally and could be infected, so yeah a vet visit is needed.

Take a look link

Scroll down to the picture.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Brandon,

We've (mostly) all been in a place where money is tight and choices have to be made--

Just want you to know that I understand that!

Also that I have NEVER seen anything like that, but it sure looks like a nasty reaction to some sort of bites.

Good luck, and let us know what the vet says!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greytexplorer

Hi Brandon :welcome

GT really is greyt, isn't it? I have learned so much here :wubsite

Anyway, I wanted you to know that I feel your pain about the vet bills.

Seems like every time I walk in their door, the receptionist yells "That'll be $200 !!" :P

I have managed to work my "tab" down to $47 from a high of $490 :eek

Don't know if you've taken Savvy to the vet yet, but I will be interested to hear what s/he says.

If I didn't know better, I'd say CHIGGERS.

Mandy had chiggers once---not as angry looking as Savvy's case---and I painted them with chigarid. Gone in 2 days.

But don't you do that. You need to take Savvy to the vet, mainly because it is SO angry looking (infection?) and a round of antibiotics might be in order. And always ask for samples.

One good thing about our greys is that we can give them benadryl to help with allergic reactions---1mg per pound is the advised dosage. Have you tried that already?

Anyway, just a few thoughts, and good luck!!!

~Pat

Guest savshusker

I took Savvy in to the vet today and the doctor said it was either Ehrlichiosis, Lyme Disease or malignant sarcoma. The tests he wanted to run were going to be approx $400-500. We decided to give her a round of antibiotics and steroids.

Savvy has been on frontline+ since I got her and have never missed a dose. The vet said frontline wasn't 100% protection from tick born disease. I just hope it's not cancer. He said that cancer would be more pronounced and raised above the skin. The lesions she has are not, most likely they are bruises.

I will keep you all updated and thank you so much for your help.

-Brandon

Fingers crossed for an infection.

angel Icarus had a similar outbreak a year ago. He needed two treatments of antibiotics a couple of months apart to rid of it.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.