Chase-man Update 12/4

Tracey

Update 12/4

Thanks to everyone who asked after the Chase-man. We got his test results back last night finally. The good news is all his blood work came back normal, so Dr. Matz told us to go ahead and up the dose of enalapril to 20mg twice a day. We have to take him back in a month to have his blood checked again.

The ECG revealed one irregular beat every minute. Per Dee/Energy11's suggestion, I'm going to get a copy of the printout and send that and a copy of the first one to Dr. Couto to ask him to have a look. Dr. Matz wants to repeat the ultrasound in three months. In the meantime she wants us to get a stethoscope so we can listen to Chase's heart regularly at home. And if he has any more episodes like the two he's had she wants us to rush him to her office within the hour so that they can get an ECG right after the event to see what's going on.

Chase has been fine since his last episode a few weeks ago, although he cut the side of his foot in the yard and the way he's been carrying on you'd think someone had lopped the foot right off. It's a very small cut but he's a very big baby.

So, we know nothing about stethoscopes. I was looking at them on eBay and I realize I have no idea how to tell a good one from a crappy one. I don't think we need anything fancy, just one that works. Any advice as to what I should look for? Thanks. :blush

-----------

We took Chase back to see his doctor today. He had another ECG and she thinks we should have the results back on it by Saturday. She also drew some blood to check his kidney values which is something we have to monitor on account of him being on the Enalapril. We're supposed to up the dose to two times a day once we get the test results back. In the meantime we're sticking with 20mg per day. Dr. Matz also checked his blood pressure and it was 160 (she said with dogs they only check the cystolic, not the diastolic, which is why it's not something over something like it is in humans. Just in case anyone was wondering.) which is within the normal range for Greyhounds.

Finally, Dr. Matz consulted with yet another cardiologist about Chase, this time one from the Animal Medical Center of New York. It was his opinion, after reviewing all of Chase's results and data, that his heart enlargement is on the high side of moderate. So at least two cardiologists think it's something definitely needing monitoring from here on in.

By the way, Chase continues to love Dr. Matz. He responds to her so well. And both she and her vet tech remarked about what a good boy Chase was today. He didn't even make a fuss when they put the clamps on him to do the ECG or when they had to turn him on his side to get the blood pressure. They really seem smitten with him; how could they not be?

Edited by Tracey

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

He is such a handsome boy! I hope you get good news on his test results!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest Energy11

Yes, Chase is a handsome boy, that is for sure!

Curfew also loves the ladies at vet. Dr. Karen and her tech, Janice, love him, too. When he had his ECG, he just laid there on his side! He wasn't fond of the blood pressure cuff, but with me taking it a few times a week, he is pretty much used to it.

Gotta watch our "ladies men," with the women :-)) Glad to hear he is responding well.

You all have a greyt Thanksgiving! Love, Dee and The Five

What a good & brave boy :wub:

Chase has been in my thoughts. I am keeping my fingers crossed for good test results on Saturday... :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Sending lots of good thoughts to your handsome boy. Sounds like he is getting the very best of care!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes, how is His Handsomeness doing?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Update in post #1.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

My vet swears by the UltraScope. I got one too, pretty nice. http://ultrascopes.com/new/

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest Energy11

I have always used a Littman. The quality is amazing, and even on a noisy ambulance, I was able to hear with it. They range in price, so I'd say, a middle-of-the road one would work well for you.

Here is a good site to buy them from. http://search.allheart.com/?catalog=allhea...CFcZM5QodyHrkpg

It is a really GOOD idea to listen like the vet says. Once you get used to what Chase's heart sounds like, you will be able to hear the irregular beats. They are like beats that "don't belong." You can see that on the ECG. Intervals between those high spikes are supposed to be the same distance.

Good Luck buying a stethoscope! Hugs!!

I never come in this forum, so I didn't know he was having trouble. Jessie was on enalapril for her heart murmur for years. But you DO have to watch the kidneys, with it. It's basically a blood-pressure med. (kidney failure was what eventually took Jessie, but she had lots of other issues, like hepatitis)

Back in 2005/2006, I could get a full bottle of enalapril for her at Costco for @ $12.00

Chase, you're such a love-bug, it doesn't surprise me you have an over-sized heart. But take it easy, big guy - your mamas (and your aunties) want you to be around for another 10 years or so. :wub:

Edited by Pippin

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

It's tough to go wrong with a stethoscope for use with greyhounds; they have huge hearts, little fat, and such a thin body that there's not much to impede sound flow. Comfort is a consideration, as not all are a good fit for an individual's ears. Some come with interchangeable ear pieces.

Check a local pharmacy to see what they have in stock; some carry them with blood pressure kits, but you'll probably pay quite a bit for one. Check a medical supply house if you have one in town.

But Littman is a good quality, general purpose stethoscope.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Happy the bloodwork came back ok! :yay So, now it's back to life as "normal", whatever that is. Take a deep breath, sit down, relax and have an adult beverage if necessary. His handsomeness is waiting to be spoiled. :wub:

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Thanks for the stethoscope suggestions. :) I may have a couple of beads on a free one from people who have an extra. If those don't pan out I found several Littmann models on eBay for $24 including shipping.

Guest Energy11
Thanks for the stethoscope suggestions. :) I may have a couple of beads on a free one from people who have an extra. If those don't pan out I found several Littmann models on eBay for $24 including shipping.

Cool on FREE, and the Ebay one sound greyt too! Please let me know if you need any other advice. Love and hugs to you and Chase Man! Dee