Josie Is Very Sick And We Dont Know What To Do At This Point.

Guest sophjoe03

Guest sophjoe03

When I have forced fed her she will then vomit everything up. Her stool is somewhat firm. She does have blood in her stool because her stool in like tar.

Heidie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She does have blood in her stool because her stool in like tar.

Are the vets aware of this?

Since she's drinking some, I'd get some pediolite (I am pretty sure you can give that to dogs - check with the vet first) and maybe some ensure or the kid version of nutrition in a can. Maybe she'd be willing to drink some of that until you can calm down her gut so she can eat some real food again. Just look at the ingredients first - if I were to give it to one of my dogs, it would screw him up since he's allergic to many of the ingredients. But if your dog will do ok with the stuff in there, I'd give it a try.

Beau's stool is STILL tar like in color at times. This is "normal" for IBD- not unheard of and no reason to panic.

In the beginning it when put on pred- it was tar like in color and consistancy. Even today- sometimes the poop comes out formed at first and then tar like toward the end.

If the blood is brigh red- that's reason to be concerned and contact the vet ASAP. God- I wish I didnt know as much of this as I do.

I am in contact with Heidie via email. I will do whatever I can to help. This is making me crazy. I live it all over again.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest BiancasMom

I agree with what everyone else is saying. (Carafate, Imuran, Metronidazole etc). You may also try the immunosuppressive Atopica. If Josie is acting like her tummy is upset you may also try asking your vet for an injection of Anzemet (Dolasetron). It is a powerful antiemetic used on chemotherapy patients. It may make her feel well enough to try to eat. Aslo, I had good luck with using Mirtazapine as an appetite stimulant in my old Aussie that had Lupus/IBD. If you have not already seen an internist, I would also suggest this. It sounds like maybe Josie is just not on the correct combination of meds yet. Every patient is different. If it is indeed an autoimmune disesase, there are several treatment options left to try! If her gums are tacky and she is unwilling to drink, you may ask your vet if you can swing her by for some subcutaneous fluids. Dehydration in itself can make pets (and people) feel pretty crappy. Good luck with Josie, I hope she feels better soon!

Beau's stool is STILL tar like in color at times. This is "normal" for IBD- not unheard of and no reason to panic.

If the blood is brigh red- that's reason to be concerned and contact the vet ASAP. God- I wish I didnt know as much of this as I do.

I disagree. If there is blood, be it tar-like or red, the vets need to know. If Minnie (IBD diagnosed via scope Feb 02) has any blood in her stool, my vet hears about it.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I exlplained about dehydration and needing IVs if not getting enough to drink.

Sending tons of prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

I disagree. If there is blood, be it tar-like or red, the vets need to know. If Minnie (IBD diagnosed via scope Feb 02) has any blood in her stool, my vet hears about it.

I should have been clearer.

Tar like poop doesn't necessarily mean it's blood. Though it often can be an indicator (along with an extremely horrible smell) it doesn't necessarily guarantee it. For months ( and even currently once in a while) Beau's poop was nothing but tar like. After multoiple fecal tests that were negative for blood was when the vets said don't panic about the tar.

They did warn us, however if there was bright red blood- we should let them know ASAP.

I don't know what' Josie's vet knows about her stools.

Hoping for more positive news. The suggestion of seeing an internist is a good one. If your adoption group has a recommendation of a grey-savvy internist, run, don't walk to the telephone and make an appointment. Sending powerful prayers for Josie and hugs of encouragement for you.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Good news. Heide got whitefish and Josie ate it and kept it down. A whole pound. She will get another pound in several hours. Heide will also inquire about the imuran.

I suggested doing some research online about IBD for dogs. This will work. Josie will repsond.

Continued prayers for Josie.

Guest TeddysMom

Hello, I am new here and I am looking for help. My Josie is very sick. She started out haveing

Maybe you could force feed her some NutriCal. I kept one of my boxers on that until they could get a diagnoses, turned out to be pancreatites but it took 2 weeks for them to finally do a test for amilayse and lipase levels. (spelling might be wrong) She got over that and never had another attack. You and Josie will be in my prayers. Anita

Maybe you could force feed her some NutriCal. I kept one of my boxers on that until they could get a diagnoses, turned out to be pancreatites but it took 2 weeks for them to finally do a test for amilayse and lipase levels. (spelling might be wrong) She got over that and never had another attack. You and Josie will be in my prayers. Anita

The one thing about an IBD dog is that there are so many valuables. It is best to start with someting like whitefish (or any other NOVEL proten-a protein your dog has never ever had) and not add a single ingredient of any kind in order to determine any reactions. Once you determine there is no reaction, you would then add a NOVEL carb that your dog has never ever had. One ingedient at a time- and you do this for 2 weeks at a time.

This is why the prescription foods make for allergy / food intolerance dogs is a good start once the dog can handle kibble. In Josi'es case, I suspect that won't be for a few weeks.

Edited by RobinM

Guest sophjoe03

Josie has eaten some white fish-Talapia twice this evening and she loved it. She perked up more thatn I could ever imagine and barked when I was waiting for the fish to cool. She hasent barked in over a month and a half. Her tail has been tucked for that long as well but this evening she got the helicoptor tail going while she was waiting on the fish. I was so happy to see that. My heart melted alittle. I feel like a Huge rock has been taken off my shoulders.

Sorry it took me so long to e-mail today on her progress. But I got fish on my way home from work then went home and cooked it and realized I didnt get no where enough to last the evening so off I went to get more fish. This time I got 9 pounds. That should do me a couple days. While I was out I was looking for a dehydrator that Robin M suggested. No luck yet. Then when I got home I have been cooking fish like crazy to make sure that I have enough for the evening and morning. I also had a nice conversation with Robin M on the phone. I am so thankfull that I aked for help. I couldnt get through this without everyones help. Thanks

Josie looked at me while she was waiting for her fish like about time you figured it out with a sparkle in her eyes. I missed that. SHe is my goofy girl out of the bunch and I have missed her goofy side the last few months.

Heidie and Josie.

If you need a dehydrator ASAP, I think Bed Bath and Beyond sells them year round. Otherwise I ordered one online.

Good Luck and glad to hear she's eating something!

You can probably find a dehydrator for a decent price in the housewares section at Wal-Mart or Target.

Fingers crossed for Josie!

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

She checked those dehydrators at Walmart.. They don't have enough watts. she should have at least 1000 watts otherwise the fish will take FOREVER to dry out. Been there, done that. I sent her the link to ebay and the one I bought is on there. We make 8-10 fish at a time as dried fish jerky and it takes between 24 and 36 hours depending on how thick each one is etc. Some are ready before the others. We do a week at a time.

I am thrilled for Josie. I sent a detailed log of how it was forBeau- I kept a journal of every bite of food/calorie etc for over 2 months.

Baby steps. I am cautiously optimistic.