Grieving

Guest Missing_Holiday

Guest Missing_Holiday

I adopted Holiday about 4 years ago. My son and I loved her from the moment we saw her. She was the most beautiful and sweet, gentle retired racer. She had not been in foster care very long when we adopted her, but she learned quickly and adopted to our household so well because she wanted to be a good girl. She loved to please her humans.

I had to make a terrible decision that nobody should have to make. At age 11, her health was declining and she was exhibiting several strange symptoms. She had lost all bladder control, didn't want much to do with us anymore, and couldn't sleep much at night. It took three visits to the vet's when she was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease, and apparently had it for awhile.

Due to her age, and the advanced stage of the illness, I decided to let her go. My son and I spent another 2 weeks with her, spoiling her rotten, feeding her whatever she wanted, just treated her like a queen. Yesterday was the day of the appointment and I went with Holiday alone. I thought I was prepared for the dreaded day, but as soon as we walked into the vet's office, I broke down in tears. We went into a private room and I spent some time with Holiday, kissing her, hugging her, massaging her. I held her in my arms as she passed, her beautiful face was wet with my tears. I took off her collar and held her awhile longer. It was almost as if she had just gone to sleep.

I am still in shock, I think. I keep forgetting she's gone. I started to fill her water bowl this morning. My 12 year old son cried and cried all evening. What can I do to make this easier for us?? I'm having her cremated today and we will get her ashes in a box.

Her racing name was "Mohican Holiday", but to us she was "Miss Holiday". And I desperately miss Holiday.

post-7845-1113238838_thumb.jpg

Edited by Missing_Holiday

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PeteysMom

I am so very sorry for your loss. You gave Holiday the greatest gift you could by letting her go in peace and be there when she did. I know that you and your son's hearts are broken. No one can ever be prepared to lose one of these magnificant hounds. Time will eventually help heal your hearts and then there are always us here on GT. We're good listeners.

:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink You gave her the gift of love twice, first when you adopted her, then when it was time to let her go to the bridge. I am sorry for y'all's loss.

Run free sweet Holiday.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Time is the only answer to the crushing grief you feel now. A few days will make a lot of difference, and in my experience, once you get the ashes back home you will feel a little comforted.

I lost my beloved Jim in March this year. I'd had him nearly eleven years and he was my heart dog. Couple of things I did which helped were to get a friend to let GT know and read the responses - that helped so much, to read messages of sympathy. I also lit a candle for him and bought some flowers in his colour (irises, because his colour was blue). His favourite collar and his tag collar are on the cabinet in front of his casket.

When I lost Susan, two years ago, I planted some things for her in the garden. I found a magnolia called Susan, and Mum found me a white rose called Susan, so these grow in her memory and I intend to do the same for Jim, when I find something. You might find a plant with Holiday in the name which you can grow for Miss Holiday, and when it blooms each year it will perhaps comfort you a little. Some people make a memory book, some keep a diary. I feel the need to do something to focus my grief and it sounds as if it might help you, too. If you make a memory book, you can get your son involved as well. It's hard for children, but it's also a valuable learning experience. Whatever you do, let him cry and let him grieve and you should do the same.

And don't let anyone tell you to pull yourself together because she was 'only a dog'. :bighug I'm so sorry for your loss, she sounds very sweet and she was obviously very much loved. :f_pink

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest trevdog

I'm so sorry for your loss. Time does help heal, although it seems the pain never goes away. I lost my Trevor a year and a half ago, I still think of him almost every day, sometimes with a smile, sometimes with tears. I too planted a tree in his name in my front yard., and have his ashes in a special place in my home. The people here were very helpful in the healing process too.

What helped me the most however, was adopting another hound looking for a home. Not everyone feels that way, and I didn't think I did either, until I saw him looking at me asking to go home with me. With me it just seemed right........ and my Trevor is still in my heart.

Godspeed, sweet Holiday.....

:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest BrockGusDad

I am so very sorry, both for you and your son.

Thank you for sharing your very touching story. Grief shared is often grief lessened.

Godspeed Miss Holiday.....

Guest argolola

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Holiday. I feel so bad for you and your son. God bless you for giving her such a wonderful home and a great life. I pray that in time your tears will turn to smiles as you remember your sweet girl.

Love never dies.

Guest DeVon

I would just like to extend my sympathies along with everyone else's. That is the most painful decision any of us have ever had to make, and I feel your pain. Silverfish gave you some wonderful ideas to ease the pain and do some things in your sweet girl's memory. May God hold your aching hearts in his hands :grouphug

Guest tuxie

I am so sorry for your loss. Just knowing that you were with her at the final moment can you give you comfort that the one she loved most was with her in the end. My heart goes out to you and your son. Holiday was so lucky to have a special family like yours, she will always be your Miss Holiday. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your precious girl. :brokenheart I also recently lost my heart dog, and know your grief all too well. Let yourself grieve... cry, be angry, whatever emotions surface. In time, she will probably send you another deserving soul to help heal your heart. Our Bridge angels have extraordinary wisdom and are always watching out for us. :grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest 8_Greyt_Greys

Im so sorry. She sounds like a wonderful girl. Time will makes easier. Everyone on gt is here for you. This is a wonderful place.

Run free sweet holiday.

Edited by 8 greyt greys

Guest greymom23

Nothing can prepare us for the day when we have that decision to make. It is a gift of being painfree really. My heart goes out to you and your son. I have been there where you are today.

Run Free Holiday :gh_run

Hugs to you and your son. :grouphug

Guest greymom23

Nothing can prepare us for the day when we have that decision to make. It is a gift of being painfree really. My heart goes out to you and your son. I have been there where you are today.

Run Free Holiday :gh_run

Hugs to you and your son. :grouphug

Guest Missing_Holiday

Wow, I am overwhelmed by the response from you greyt people! I actually had to look up *any* group who could relate to not only losing a beloved animal, but to lose a majestic rescued greyhound. I did feel a little better after I posted about my grief, but my heart is truly touched by all of your kind words. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

A friend of mine came up with a suggestion for a project my son and I could work on. She's going to buy us a shadow box and we'll put her picture in it as well as her collar and name tag and a piece of her blanket.

You all are wonderful people to be so supportive to a total stranger to this group. All of your messages have touched my heart.

Missing Holiday, so many of us know the pain of losing a much loved hound. And we know how much the kind words of others who have been there can help.

A lot of us don't often come into the Remembrance forum, because it's a painful place to be, but we do it from time to time because we know how much our words can mean. I'm glad if we've been able to ease the pain just a little for you. :bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I am so sorry for your loss. Miss Holiday is beautiful! Run free at the Bridge Sweetheart. :grouphug:f_pink Godspeed Miss Holiday.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.